Need help with alternator hook up on 76 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DrJ

Threads
I recently purchased a 76 FJ40 that had been sitting in a field for 20 yrs. Rats had chewed up the wiring inside and outside of it, even the copper. I bought a used harness off a 76 FJ from a cruiser parts place and the wiring harness has a 3 wire plug on the alt wire. Mine has the original aisin alt with external regulator, ignitor and rheostat mounted on the fender. Mine has a 2 prong plug. I have 3 different wiring diagrams and the colors dont match on any of the 3 to the factory harness. I dont want to fry anything so i havent been able to hook up the alt and regulator. I have lots of pics of the alt and wiring but need help resolving this issue. Thanks for any help..... not my first wiring job but my first toyota... Its a little intimidating....Points distibutor BTW.

I recently purchased a 76 FJ40 that had been sitting in a field for 20 yrs. Rats had chewed up the wiring inside and outside of it, even the copper. I bought a used harness off a 76 FJ from a cruiser parts place and the wiring harness has a 3 wire plug on the alt wire. Mine has the original aisin alt with external regulator, ignitor and rheostat mounted on the fender. Mine has a 2 prong plug. I have 3 different wiring diagrams and the colors dont match on any of the 3 to the factory harness. I dont want to fry anything so i havent been able to hook up the alt and regulator. I have lots of pics of the alt and wiring but need help resolving this issue. Thanks for any help..... not my first wiring job but my first toyota... Its a little intimidating....Points distibutor BTW.
Just figured out this morning that the alternator is not a toyota alt. its a hitachi... am getting a correct alt and hopefully solve part of the problem.

Here's the diagram for my 77--it should be same for yours--(3 prong)

Heater elec diagram.jpg

Here's the diagram for my 77--it should be same for yours--(3 prong)

View attachment 1352842
Thanks. I have three wiring diagrams. all 3 are a little different. I found out the alternator is off a trencher. It has a 2 prong plug. I bought a used stock FJ40 one and it has the 3 prong plug.... I am finding several things have been altered on this unit. sure causes headaches when trying to restore it

Thanks, My son is doing a total Resto, ground up on a 74 FJ40 and he told me about coolerman. I checked it out. I am still having some questions about the hook up of the headlight switch. Like, does it come with a plug in or is it just hardwired to the unit.

It should be a plug. @Coolerman posted a picture of the plug, connectors and crimpers the other day. I can't remember where.

T
It should be a plug. @Coolerman posted a picture of the plug, connectors and crimpers the other day. I can't remember where.
Thanks. Will go to his site again to look. This thing and the mess the rats created has been a real challenge..LOL

There's a mud member who really knows a lot about cruiser electrics; bj40green

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom