Need help with a Big Oil Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck is with a friend while I am out of town. I am going back home today. He called me last night to tell me that my truck is at a shop. Apparently, the motor was smoking and then it cut out on him, so he pulled over and took it to a shop right near him.
He went home, and found about a quart of oil on his driveway from just one night.

I know pic's would be helpful, but I am not home yet. I will get pics up asap. But I need to get as much info as possible.
My question is what could possibly be leaking that much oil over night, and be somewhere that the oil could leak onto something hot enough to make it smoke when the engine warmed up?
I just need a perspective so I can have an idea of what this could be, and what I'll need to do, as this is my Daily Driver.
I really appreciate any help on limited info. TIA.

Thanks, Baktasht for the reply even with so little information. So, the rear main can leak that much?
I'm hoping I can rule out the hole for now. (My friend better not have put a hole in the pan.:mad::D )

hard to tell with no pictures or anything, but keep in mind what looks like a quart of oil in his driveway may not be anywhere near that much. when the oil drops, it can spread widely.

i had a friend literally drop around a quart in my driveway and it was about a three foot diameter circle.

was it just one spot in the driveway or multiple? did the drain plug come loose, is it the oil seal (you'd be amazed how much that can leak). was it definitely from the engine or trans/xfer/axles? since the engine cut out, i'd guess engine leak, maybe low oil caused the oil switch to shut the engine down.

It might be possible the the drain plug seal is worn out and leaking. The other problem could be engine failure; ie, oil rings, head gasket failure.

What year/model is the truck in question?

Thanks, again. I know it's a vague question with no pics.
It's a 94. I just assumed all the 80's had the same motor.
I had no idea there is a low oil shut off. Thats good to know to explain it shutting down. That's why I knew even if I post a vague question, some valuable and helpful info would come out. I really appreciate it.
I'm on my way back and will get pics asap.

did he leave the other 5 quarts of oil on the trail?....was he wheeling?

I don't know about a low oil cut out. I drove around with the only oil sender/switch I can see on the 1fz disconnected, and it never shut down. Took a few days for me to even realise the dash gauge read 0.

The only toyota I know of with a low oil pressure cut off is the old 2h diesel. The 1hz that succeeded it doesn't have one.

smoking plus cutting out sounds expensive. has the truck been restarted since the first incident?

There is another sensor besides the sender for the pressure gauge in the dash which is on the engine block on the U.S. passenger side. This other level sensor is on the opposite side of the engine (U.S. driver's side) and in the side of the upper oil pan.

There is no "low oil shutoff" that I am aware of. There is a low oil level sensor that will trigger the "oil" lamp on the dash to warn you it is low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom