Need help w/ intake/header (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a problem and need help my mechanic and i took the intake and exhaust manifolds of i got the intake polished and bought a header had it thermal coated, well the header is thicker steel causing a problem since i should have took it to a machine shop and had it shaved w/ the intake to insure it would line up but even if i had we misplaced the washers that pull the two together evenly against the head, i called dealership they sent me lockwashers so..can anyone steer me in the right way im trying very hard to have this 1974 fj40 landcruiser ready for the beach memorial day weekend, please help,
thomas

That's a long sentence. :eek:

Can you cut washers in half and use them as spacers?

take it back off and have the flanges shaved. it will NEVER seal up totally unless you do. I speak from experience

My gut feeling is that the intake and header thickness, although not exactly the same thickness, are close enough that 1/2 washers is not the answer, they'll still leave one thicker than the other. We make our Header gaskets about 30 percent thicker than most for this reason. Normally you are bitting the intake manifold into the gasket much tighter than the Header, but even with the Header not as tight against the Head as the intake manifold, the thicker gasket still gets the job done. The biggie though is using paint-on Copper Coat on all four surfaces (head, header, both sides of the gasket). This is a lacquer based adhesive that bakes-on with heat, as opposed to most adhesives that melt and run off like water once heated.

Could always go back to the orig exhaust manifold. Marks Offroad will send you one and make that old LC all naturellll.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom