Need help in choosing vendor for fridge/cooler slide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been slowly building out my 2004 LC for camping, and am ready to add a slide for my Yeti.

My time is in short supply so rather than build one from heavy duty slides I am thinking of buying a purpose built one from Dometic or ALL-TOP on Amazon.

Do any of you have experience with one of these slides? Or perhaps have another recommendation? Here is the base where it would be mounted:

IMG_4216.jpg

I mounted a Dometic slide a few days ago on a similar wood platform but have not had a chance to try it out yet. I used 5/16 button bolts with large washers mounted upwards to minimize snagging when I slide things in the shelf under the platform. Although to clear the slide mechanism I had to mount the three front bolts downward and use cap nuts.

I was amazed at how heavy and well built it was and it seems like it should be rattle free. However, it sits really high and I kind of wish I had sprung for a tilt slide.

I have the Dometic as well. It works fine and it's pretty heavy duty, especially for the price. As @terrapin said, it will be pretty high up on that platform. Mine is mounted on the floor. I'll try and find a pic. I use it with my ARB as well as a regular cooler on occasion.

IMG_9086.JPG

I had a large, Alu-Cab tilting slide which I really liked. Buddy has an extra-large for his fridge and is also happy with it.

I am taking your advice on the height issue and re-thinking the location. Thanks again.

Why don't you just make your own slide? With your platform you are at least 50% done. Looks like you are in MN? I just made my fridge slide and sourced the 250 pound rated, 28 inch slide from a place in Burnsville. Way, WAY cheaper than getting that Dometic slide and a lot less weight for sure.

IMG_20190708_173652.jpg

You can also use computer network rack slides. They hold hundreds of lbs and lock in the out and in positions.
Plus they are not expensive.

Super nice to be able to drop the whole cooler down! They look like they are built with super nice components as well. The price tag is pretty high but if you need a lowering, non-tilting option that is the best I've seen. It also kind of depends if you have a wide or short side opening on your cooler. Both the tilt/slide and the drop/slide will help vs a straight slide out for anyone who is putting them on top of their drawer system but for a end opener (ARB Classic 50qt and 63qt among others) it seems like the tilt is probably a good savings without too much loss of use/access. The drop slide is expensive and I've never used one, but you usually get what you pay for in that world. I'd probably go that route if I had a dometic cfx dual zone side opener and had 800 bucks to drop in addition to the grand I spent on the cooler!

Regardless, I think the read from my end is that with the task of loading the cooler if you are a bit shorter and just general access to get a lid open under the hatch etc, you need some way to drop or tilt it in addition to sliding it if it is installed on top of your drawers or install near the floor of the truck.

Why don't you just make your own slide? With your platform you are at least 50% done. Looks like you are in MN? I just made my fridge slide and sourced the 250 pound rated, 28 inch slide from a place in Burnsville. Way, WAY cheaper than getting that Dometic slide and a lot less weight for sure.

View attachment 2024739
That looks great. Could you share specifics on the build?

That looks great. Could you share specifics on the build?
I've changed things up a bit but if you are still interested I can take some measurements and photos of my current set up. Just back from an almost 2 week camping trip with my new set up and it works amazingly.

While I have the ability to make my own sliders, just like I have the ability to assemble a car … why would you when a better product is available off the shelf. I bought the extra long ARB. It holds my fridge (now an ARB50), and a Pioneer 5 gallon jug.

Extended.jpg

I mounted a Dometic slide a few days ago on a similar wood platform but have not had a chance to try it out yet. I used 5/16 button bolts with large washers mounted upwards to minimize snagging when I slide things in the shelf under the platform. Although to clear the slide mechanism I had to mount the three front bolts downward and use cap nuts.

I was amazed at how heavy and well built it was and it seems like it should be rattle free. However, it sits really high and I kind of wish I had sprung for a tilt slide.

View attachment 2008539
View attachment 2008540
View attachment 2008541
I have had my Dometic slide in the back of my cruiser for a couple years now. It does great. Mine had a Dometic 37 fridge on it. The dumbest option I ever loved.

I made a slider by myself some time ago, now I have my 55 qt. Yeti inserted on a wooden slider. It's a bit heavy, but if don't replace it often you forget about that fact. Anyway, I think, that's the best decision for me to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom