Need Help identifying mystery pieces found in oil pan (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone! I just joined the forum after years of reading through countless posts that have helped me greatly on my 80 series. I am very thankful for the brain power on this forum!! I need some 1FZ-FE gurus to help me with this one. I have a 96' Triple Locked with roughly 240,000 miles. The head gasket was done by the previous owner, but Ive done tons of maintenance on it over the years. Its my daily driver, and runs like a sewing machine! Quiet, smooth, and decent power for a 1Fz ha! Anyways, I had some time off from work and decided to tackle some oil leaks I had. I started with the lower oil pan as it had a decent sized leak. After removing the pan, I noticed some "Debris" in the bottom of the pan. Some plastic, and some metal pieces. I was wondering what that plastic piece could be from? Maybe a timing chain guide? It looks like there is a part of a part number on it.. All I can read is "EZZ" . And I'm also wondering what the metal is from? One piece is kinda shaped like a cone, and the others are just little flakes. Wondering if that's main bearing? Rod bearing? Maybe something from some work done by the previous owner? The engine runs fantastic, and I have great oil pressure. Any help would be much appreciated!! I'll attach some pics. Thanks again, and happy holidays!

LC1.jpg

LC2.jpg

Hello Everyone! I just joined the forum after years of reading through countless posts that have helped me greatly on my 80 series. I am very thankful for the brain power on this forum!! I need some 1FZ-FE gurus to help me with this one. I have a 96' Triple Locked with roughly 240,000 miles. The head gasket was done by the previous owner, but Ive done tons of maintenance on it over the years. Its my daily driver, and runs like a sewing machine! Quiet, smooth, and decent power for a 1Fz ha! Anyways, I had some time off from work and decided to tackle some oil leaks I had. I started with the lower oil pan as it had a decent sized leak. After removing the pan, I noticed some "Debris" in the bottom of the pan. Some plastic, and some metal pieces. I was wondering what that plastic piece could be from? Maybe a timing chain guide? It looks like there is a part of a part number on it.. All I can read is "EZZ" . And I'm also wondering what the metal is from? One piece is kinda shaped like a cone, and the others are just little flakes. Wondering if that's main bearing? Rod bearing? Maybe something from some work done by the previous owner? The engine runs fantastic, and I have great oil pressure. Any help would be much appreciated!! I'll attach some pics. Thanks again, and happy holidays!

View attachment 2873273

View attachment 2873274
I'll bet everything is from the timing chain tensioner, and/or slipper

I'll bet everything is from the timing chain tensioner, and/or slipper
Hey! Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I was thinking.. Should I worry about it? I know the timing chain is an absolute bear to replace with the engine in.... I plan on doing a rebuild one day when the engine shows more signs of being "tired"

Likely the timing chain guide. You can remove the valve cover and look down at the chain and guide to assess it. If it has a chewed-up guide it needs to be addressed before it breaks up further. A broken chain would be a catastrophic mess.
Screenshot 2021-12-23 at 16-46-42 13-02 CAMSHAFT VALVE diagram, 1994 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER.png

I agree the black looks like chain guide.

I had similar looking metallic shavings show up when my power steering pump gear drifted loose and contacted the timing case.

I'd worry. Change the timing chain and slipper parts before you get an interesting ( read expensive) failure.

Can you ask the mechanic who replaced the headgasket if he removed the oil pan or replaced the timing chain and/or guides during that work?? Got the repair receipts?

Thanks everyone for your replies! I really appreciate it. Just looked through my big folder of receipts and couldn't find anything on the timing chain. It's likely original. I'm thinking since I'm already going to be super deep in the engine to replace the chain, should I just yank the engine out and rebuild it? I'm at 240,000 miles now and all is well, but I know in the next couple of years things will start to get more worn. Or should I just pull the head, timing cover replace and re install? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks everyone for your replies! I really appreciate it. Just looked through my big folder of receipts and couldn't find anything on the timing chain. It's likely original. I'm thinking since I'm already going to be super deep in the engine to replace the chain, should I just yank the engine out and rebuild it? I'm at 240,000 miles now and all is well, but I know in the next couple of years things will start to get more worn. Or should I just pull the head, timing cover replace and re install? What do you guys recommend?

I would pull the valve cover and assess that they're from the chain guides before making a plan.

Not sure you should ask me. I'm working on a write up for MUD on my complete rebuild (just waiting on a 6,000 mile Blackstone report). I violated every MUD rule in the book, 'cause I even fixed stuff that wasn't broke. Actually, technically, nothing was broke at 372k miles!:slap:

In my defense, it is nice to have a "new" old cruiser.:steer:

Looking forward to reading your write up!! I think for now, Im just going to pull head and timing cover to replace the timing chain components, head gasket, and upgrade to the ARP Head bolts. I don't currently have to funds to do a complete rebuild, but I plan on one in the future! It runs great as it is, and even passes smog here in California with flying colors so it runs clean too!

Your on the right track, just send the head out to be decked and have new valve guides installed ;)

I hope you have another mode of transportation, you should not drive the 80 until you can fix it. Really lucky you stumbled on to the damage, and I am surprised it sounds good when idling.

Definitely on the list Broski! And yes I do thankfully. I was able to borrow a car from one of my neighbors who is out of town. I just placed an order at my local Toyota dealer and thought I would provide everyone with a complete (to my knowledge) list of every part and their part number needed to do a timing chain on the 1FZ-FE. Here's what I have so far feel free to chime in with any other part numbers that I may have missed! Thanks again for all of your help! it is much appreciated.

O-Rings & Seals:

96761-24042: Timing Cover O-ring
96721-24022: Timing Cover O-ring
11328-66020: Timing Cover Square O-ring
13552-66020: Timing Chain Tensioner Gasket
90311-52022: Front Crankshaft Seal
90430-27001: Oil Level Sensor Seal
90099-14118: Distributor O-ring
15188-66020: Oil Pump Gasket

Timing Chain Components:

13561-66010: Timing Chain Guide
13559-66011: Timing Chain Slipper
13523-66020: Chain Sprocket (Camshaft)
13521-66020: Chain Sprocket (Crankshaft)
13540-66011: Timing Chain Tensioner
13506-66010: Timing Chain

Head Gasket Components:

04112-66036: Head Gasket Set

Definitely on the list Broski! And yes I do thankfully. I was able to borrow a car from one of my neighbors who is out of town. I just placed an order at my local Toyota dealer and thought I would provide everyone with a complete (to my knowledge) list of every part and their part number needed to do a timing chain on the 1FZ-FE. Here's what I have so far feel free to chime in with any other part numbers that I may have missed! Thanks again for all of your help! it is much appreciated.

O-Rings & Seals:

96761-24042: Timing Cover O-ring
96721-24022: Timing Cover O-ring
11328-66020: Timing Cover Square O-ring
13552-66020: Timing Chain Tensioner Gasket
90311-52022: Front Crankshaft Seal
90430-27001: Oil Level Sensor Seal
90099-14118: Distributor O-ring
15188-66020: Oil Pump Gasket

Timing Chain Components:

13561-66010: Timing Chain Guide
13559-66011: Timing Chain Slipper
13523-66020: Chain Sprocket (Camshaft)
13521-66020: Chain Sprocket (Crankshaft)
13540-66011: Timing Chain Tensioner
13506-66010: Timing Chain

Head Gasket Components:

04112-66036: Head Gasket Set

For what is worth, you can pull the timing cover without removing the head, and you can replace chain guides, tensioner etc without pulling the head.

Seems like you got the first rule above onboard!

I don't think I'd touch the head unless there was an indication its necessary.
I'd also minimise what you replace now if a rebuild is a given for you in the future so everything is fresh at the same time

I recently rebuilt my fz-fe with about 160k miles on it. Timing sprockets and timing chain all measured up within spec 100% so I reused them.
I replaced chain guides because they were showing signs of degradation.

Before you tear it all apart remove the valve cover and inspect the chain and guides from the top. It is possible that it was fixed without removing the oil pan to clean it out.

Before you tear it all apart remove the valve cover and inspect the chain and guides from the top. It is possible that it was fixed without removing the oil pan to clean it out.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just pulled the valve cover and tried to take as decent of pictures as I can in that tight space.. heres what I got! What do you guys think? From what I can tell, the guides look ok, but Im not sure where the common failure points are on these guides. Let me know what you guys think! I hope I dont have to do this job at this point in time but I will if I have to!

TC1.jpg

TC2.jpg

TC3.jpg

TC4.jpg

Here is another shot of the chain on the slipper side. I have a borescope but the battery is dead. Once it charges up I'll put it down there and try to get a better view!

tc5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom