Help identifying large piece of gasket found in radiator. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could anyone help identify what this piece of gasket I found in my radiator might be?

I replaced my PHH after a failure last week (bypassed with Gates green & Breeze clamps) and also replaced my thermostat and radiator cap at the same time. I cleaned the coolant reservoir and did 3 flushes of the system with distilled water (filled, bled air, drove 1/2 hr, drained), and by the last flush, the water coming out was really clean.

I filled it with Toyota red mixed with distilled water and drove around for about an hour, letting it cool completely off for a few hours. Then I opened the radiator and topped it off with coolant as it was just barely below the top fin. I let the truck run with the radiator cap off and jacked it up to burp any air out. After a few light revs, I went back and found this floating on top of the radiator.

Prior to this, I did notice a slight coolant loss on top of what I feel like is excessive white smoke on morning startup, and I assumed the head gasket was failing. I did numerous exhaust gas tests in various conditions, from a stone-cold engine sitting overnight to warmed up after the thermostat opened, and none of them failed at all.

I began to be on high alert when driving and when the PHH began to fail, I caught it very quickly as I noticed the heat slightly taper off while driving, and immediately shut it off knowing it meant I was losing coolant. The stock gauge barely moved before I shut it off; it never got above 60%.

Assuming the PHH was the cause of my coolant loss, I replaced it and didn’t think much of it, was going to button up this project and move on when I found this gasket piece. It has a rubbery gasket maker-like feeling to it; I'd assume it’s FIPG but not sure where it could be from.

The truck still blows significant white smoke on initial startup and after sitting for a few hours, but I do live in an incredibly humid place with wild temperature swings daily and it’s winter, so it also could just be from that. There's no smoke after a few minutes of driving and no overheating indicated on the admittedly unreliable stock gauge.

I’ve got many conflicting symptoms that are really wearing on me. I’m planning on doing another exhaust gas test tomorrow and sending an oil sample to Blackstone to see if I’m just overthinking this. The truck plays a very important role not only as my DD but also I will be traveling out of it full time, so I really don’t want to take any risks with the drivetrain. The truck is a 97 LX and has 170k on it; I don't want to fall into the trap of replacing things that aren’t necessary but also don’t want to be worried all the time.

Any help is greatly appreciated

TL;DR ih8mud has me paranoid about head gaskets.
IMG_0343.jpeg
IMG_0341.jpeg

Likely just a bit of FIPG (form in place gasket) that was used to seal somewhere in the water/cooling system in the past that broke off and floated to the radiator.

Last edited:
Could be radiator cap gasket

Could anyone help identify what this piece of gasket I found in my radiator might be?

I replaced my PHH after a failure last week (bypassed with Gates green & Breeze clamps) and also replaced my thermostat and radiator cap at the same time. I cleaned the coolant reservoir and did 3 flushes of the system with distilled water (filled, bled air, drove 1/2 hr, drained), and by the last flush, the water coming out was really clean.

I filled it with Toyota red mixed with distilled water and drove around for about an hour, letting it cool completely off for a few hours. Then I opened the radiator and topped it off with coolant as it was just barely below the top fin. I let the truck run with the radiator cap off and jacked it up to burp any air out. After a few light revs, I went back and found this floating on top of the radiator.

Prior to this, I did notice a slight coolant loss on top of what I feel like is excessive white smoke on morning startup, and I assumed the head gasket was failing. I did numerous exhaust gas tests in various conditions, from a stone-cold engine sitting overnight to warmed up after the thermostat opened, and none of them failed at all.

I began to be on high alert when driving and when the PHH began to fail, I caught it very quickly as I noticed the heat slightly taper off while driving, and immediately shut it off knowing it meant I was losing coolant. The stock gauge barely moved before I shut it off; it never got above 60%.

Assuming the PHH was the cause of my coolant loss, I replaced it and didn’t think much of it, was going to button up this project and move on when I found this gasket piece. It has a rubbery gasket maker-like feeling to it; I'd assume it’s FIPG but not sure where it could be from.

The truck still blows significant white smoke on initial startup and after sitting for a few hours, but I do live in an incredibly humid place with wild temperature swings daily and it’s winter, so it also could just be from that. There's no smoke after a few minutes of driving and no overheating indicated on the admittedly unreliable stock gauge.

I’ve got many conflicting symptoms that are really wearing on me. I’m planning on doing another exhaust gas test tomorrow and sending an oil sample to Blackstone to see if I’m just overthinking this. The truck plays a very important role not only as my DD but also I will be traveling out of it full time, so I really don’t want to take any risks with the drivetrain. The truck is a 97 LX and has 170k on it; I don't want to fall into the trap of replacing things that aren’t necessary but also don’t want to be worried all the time.

Any help is greatly appreciated

TL;DR ih8mud has me paranoid about head gaskets.
View attachment 3557785View attachment 3557786
Do you have the full maintenance records of the truck?
Has the HG ever been replaced?

Could be something someone used FIPG to seal up the aluminum bypass pipe and get the three o-rings to seal. Could be a chunk of old thermostat seal (unlikely). Otherwise there really isn't any factory place to find that.

The fact that it's black means it's aftermarket FIPG. Look to see if someone used that around the water pump. If so, that's where it's from.

Your HG isn't the problem with the "white smoke". That's condensation burning off first thing.

Br
Do you have the full maintenance records of the truck?
Has the HG ever been replaced?

Could be something someone used FIPG to seal up the aluminum bypass pipe and get the three o-rings to seal. Could be a chunk of old thermostat seal (unlikely). Otherwise there really isn't any factory place to find that.

The fact that it's black means it's aftermarket FIPG. Look to see if someone used that around the water pump. If so, that's where it's from.

Your HG isn't the problem with the "white smoke". That's condensation burning off first thing.
I don’t have any maintenance records, I am the second owner and everything I’ve seen leads me to believe it was very well took care of. Previous owner was a 94 year old man who rarely drove the truck. No idea if it’s the original HG but I will assume it is.

Believe you are correct. Looking at the aluminum bypass pipe closely I can see some FIPG squeeze out that’s the same color. Going to just assume it’s from that and not lose sleep over it. Will continue to monitor the coolant levels,

Thanks for that tip!

Any symptoms other than white vapor out the tailpipe? Did it smell like coolant?

How was the HG issue diagnosed??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom