Need help. How to buy rust free LC100 at fair price from the north east. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is a lot more complicated than it needs to be....

Buying a used car sight unseen (using deposits, wire transfers, ect, third party inspections) has been pretty well documented. I don't see the issue here. You sound like you just need something to get you to/from your cabin and have no plans for a build or use for a DD. If that's the case, a local rusted out 100 priced accordingly is all you need. Don't complain about the complications of buying out of state or the premium for a rust free vehicle if you cant find what you need locally.

And a well maintained and rust free 200k mi 100 is easily worth $10k. You may be better served by a used Tahoe/Suburban. You can find those under $10k all day long.

Lot of unrealistic BS in this thread if you ask me.

Vehicles did not sink 20, 30, 40% because of the quarantine. There wasn't even a liquidity crunch. I'm always looking to buy cars, and for all intents and purposes I saw zero of this in the market. Even the real credit markets didn't seize up like that - yes lending was slow for a couple weeks, but other than non-multi family CRE things have been surprisingly liquid.

OP, you keep saying you can afford this or that, and its just about getting a deal - then wait around for a deal and quit complaining. A "deal", IMO, signifies you are buying from someone who under prices their vehicle. In a fair functioning market, that rarely happens. I bet you are finding a s***-ton of fairly priced vehicles - you just want to steal one, and they are gone before you can. Big surprise.

Also, who do you think owns these clean, lower mileage 100 series you want? People that will have to sell them for nothing if a recession happens??!?!! :rofl:

I think you understand a lot less about markets than you give yourself credit for.

Also, who do you think owns these clean, lower mileage 100 series you want? People that will have to sell them for nothing if a recession happens??!?!! :rofl:

Right. This is one of those cars that "if you can buy it doesn't mean you can afford it". Can't compare to Camry, so typical owner with this car maintains it and not desperate to sell. Other type of owner might be 2nd or 3rd owner who can't afford it and will sell with bunch of issues to get rid of it.

Do you replace part by part as it wears or do you do major maintenace every 90k miles? 12k is a lot for regular maintenance unless you are running some extras. What would my costs look like for a mall cruiser? I just need to get to my boat ramp (just an 18 ft boat total weight at most 2k lb including trailer).

So far with my 4runner: about 400$ spent on maintenance over 40k miles ( 3 years). I'm looking for the cheapest most reliable truck that will get me and my family to the ramp or on a road trip with occasional dirt driving. No lift no oversized tires no nothing all stock.

A highlander can do this, hell, even a Rav4

You don't need a Land Cruiser honestly, save yourself the headache and money.

Seems like we got to the bottom of all of this

RAV4 FTW

/end

Right. This is one of those cars that "if you can buy it doesn't mean you can afford it". Can't compare to Camry, so typical owner with this car maintains it and not desperate to sell. Other type of owner might be 2nd or 3rd owner who can't afford it and will sell with bunch of issues to get rid of it.

well you see thats the funny aprt. a bunch of lemons out there and im too stubborn to even budge at them. not enough apples to bite.

You'd have a lot more luck finding a truck by not insulting sellers.

if they want to wave the flag and ask for 5k more than "worth" by looking at neighboor next door, then ill wait for all of them to go down together.

tide goes in, tide goes out. there is no insult, just reality.

This thread is a lot more complicated than it needs to be....

Buying a used car sight unseen (using deposits, wire transfers, ect, third party inspections) has been pretty well documented. I don't see the issue here. You sound like you just need something to get you to/from your cabin and have no plans for a build or use for a DD. If that's the case, a local rusted out 100 priced accordingly is all you need. Don't complain about the complications of buying out of state or the premium for a rust free vehicle if you cant find what you need locally.

And a well maintained and rust free 200k mi 100 is easily worth $10k. You may be better served by a used Tahoe/Suburban. You can find those under $10k all day long.

I dont mind spending 10k on a well maintainted rust free 200k lc100. I do have a problem spending 20k...

if they want to wave the flag and ask for 5k more than "worth" by looking at neighboor next door, then ill wait for all of them to go down together.

tide goes in, tide goes out. there is no insult, just reality.
Reality is that trucks pre-03 with ~200k sold for less than 10k regularly. I see them for 7-8k all the time. LC usually demand premium over LX, 2003+ is higher because of 5sp, 2006-7 is "latest" and demand even higher premium.

And there is plenty to buy, but not local to you. Seems like we go in circles. Used cars is not like new, you can't put fixed price on it. Some may be 3k some maybe 13k.

Lot of unrealistic BS in this thread if you ask me.

Vehicles did not sink 20, 30, 40% because of the quarantine. There wasn't even a liquidity crunch. I'm always looking to buy cars, and for all intents and purposes I saw zero of this in the market. Even the real credit markets didn't seize up like that - yes lending was slow for a couple weeks, but other than non-multi family CRE things have been surprisingly liquid.

OP, you keep saying you can afford this or that, and its just about getting a deal - then wait around for a deal and quit complaining. A "deal", IMO, signifies you are buying from someone who under prices their vehicle. In a fair functioning market, that rarely happens. I bet you are finding a s***-ton of fairly priced vehicles - you just want to steal one, and they are gone before you can. Big surprise.

I think you understand a lot less about markets than you give yourself credit for.

> Broke people who can DIY or enthusiasts. Definately not doctors. They own 200 series.

> Broke people who can DIY or enthusiasts. Definately not doctors. They own 200 series.

Everyone has been trying to help you out here...but I think you are beyond help and that last comment was the final insult. I must not be a "real" doctor because I like wrenching on my 100 (and 40, and 80, and 200, and G63). News to me.

Good luck with your search. It will be endless based on what we've seen so far.

Well, I can tell you arent a doctor, because you wouldnt have all this time to complain on a forum because you can't nickle and dime random people selling cars.

NY? The beach? A car for supposedly just for this purpose? I bet your dad's a doctor tho... probably on LI.

Everyone has been trying to help you out here...but I think you are beyond help and that last comment was the final insult. I must not be a "real" doctor because I like wrenching on my 100 (and 40, and 80, and 200, and G63). News to me.

Good luck with your search. It will be endless based on what we've seen so far.

You a doctor. Can you not afford a LC100? Say yes. Then why a 100? Say no, then you are probably young or in a market that doesnt pay well.

Again, im coming from new york where even a barista drives a charger. Being in an old car is a sign of being poor ... or enthusiast.

Im looking for a 100 series, partially because im poor but beause i dont want to spend too much on something that will deppreciate.

Well, I can tell you arent a doctor, because you wouldnt have all this time to complain on a forum because you can't nickle and dime random people selling cars.

NY? The beach? A car for supposedly just for this purpose? I bet your dad's a doctor tho... probably on LI.

My family isn't rich. Its low middle class. I have a job that pays alright and is stress free. Can nickle dime all day long but I have to "present" at the office.

A highlander can do this, hell, even a Rav4

You don't need a Land Cruiser honestly, save yourself the headache and money.

I'm too scared/paranoid to buy anything less of strenght/reliability than a 4runner. Only option seems to be sequoia or LC but I know the Sequoia is made in N.A. and LC /4runner in Japan. After seeing the way some people make this here (western world), i'd give it a large pass unless its construction supplies. Amen to crafstman.

You a doctor. Can you not afford a LC100? Say yes. Then why a 100? Say no, then you are probably young or in a market that doesnt pay well.

Again, im coming from new york where even a barista drives a charger. Being in an old car is a sign of being poor ... or enthusiast.

Im looking for a 100 series, partially because im poor but beause i dont want to spend too much on something that will deppreciate.
Unfortunately for you I'm from NY. I still see old money folks with 100 series in Greenwich and Westchester. Hell, I see them here all the time as well.

I can't speak to LI. Other than the gold coast, a lot of LI is about showing your money so your broad generalization wouldn't surprise me.

Unfortunately for you I'm from NY. I still see old money folks with 100 series in Greenwich and Westchester. Hell, I see them here all the time as well.

I can't speak to LI. Other than the gold coast, a lot of LI is about showing your money so your broad generalization wouldn't surprise me.

Long Island is "Planet America". Lived here 1 year and I know to never buy anything used from around over here. I didn't know people can be "normal" outside of here.
Oh well, looks like thread has been quite helpful and then took a turn.

A message to the outsiders, if you wonder my skepticism/attitude, I suggest coming right over see if you'd trust any dealer/anybody over where I'm at. Seems like I should've moved to AZ/CA a long time ago.

Did I mention there is a sweet LX in Atlanta in the classifieds right now. You can probably get a pretty cheap flight to Atlanta. Just sayin:meh:

Long Island is "Planet America". Lived here 1 year and I know to never buy anything used from around over here. I didn't know people can be "normal" outside of here.
Oh well, looks like thread has been quite helpful and then took a turn.

A message to the outsides, if you wonder my skepticism/attitude, I suggest coming right over see if you'd trust any dealer/anybody over where I'm at. Seems like I should've moved to AZ/CA a long time ago.
I wouldnt buy a used vehicle from a shady LI dealer either dude. IMO when buying a used vehicle, you buy the seller, not the car.

To get back on track. I think prices have slowly creeped up over the past 2-3 yrs on the clean older 100 series. Another way to look at this is the market is compressing... clean 100 series are becoming clean 100 series, regardless of the year. That makes sense, the depreciation curve has flattened on the early model years.

With all due respect to Katit, I dont think you're finding clean vehicles for 7-8k all over the place. I think your price target should be 10-11k and you should try to find it from a trust worthly private seller, and be willing to have it shipped.

However - I honestly can't tell if this is a vehicle you want to keep, or just somethign thats seems cool right now. I could have a 200 series and mod that instead of my 100 - not a subtle brag, just the facts. I dont want one, I really love my 100. If you just want a vehicle for a couple yrs while you're at this point in your life and then you want to offload it, save yourself the headache and get something thats easier for you to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom