Need help. How to buy rust free LC100 at fair price from the north east. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Visit FL and wear a mask/gloves: LC on CL

Steal Deals
=======
1. No rust 15k 98-02LC asking going for 13.5k 160k miles low initial maintenance cost
2. No rust 12 k 98-02LC asking going for 11k 160k miles with some fixing up to do
3. No rust 10k 02 LC- asking going for 10k 150k miles little bit more fixing up to do (this deal was actually a FL car brought to nearby-deal went to another guy a few days before i started looking for a LC)

Good Deals
=======
4. No rust 18k 98-02LC asking going for 16k 180k miles 2nd major maintenance done.
5. No rust 15k asking going for 15k about 160k miles 2nd major maint NOT done but low initial maint cost.

Don't know man. Those don't look like deals to me. I know my friend sent me couple CL listings from California. Those trucks were selling (2 of them) for 7-8k and had about 120k miles. It was back when everyone went on quarantine. They went within a week, but they were available to grab if need.

I bought mine "by accident". Wasn't specifically looking for one. Checked couple local ones in 2016, all were too rusty for my taste. In 2019 needed another car for hobby and accidentally there was 2 on CL. One was LC and one was LX. LC was rust bucket and seller wanted 10+, another one was LX and I was really surprised it's clean. It was simple - car lived in TX until 2016. I bought it next day. I didn't even worry about checking anything else as I'm pretty confident mechanically.

And I monitor local ads since and don't see anything like that. I already spent 4k on PARTS only. And I expect about 4k more in parts to get it to perfect shape. All labor is free. And there is no "mods", almost all factory stuff.

Will I sell my truck below 10k? Right. I'd rather let it sit on my yard. I feel like with good anti-cor application I will have bullet-proof vehicle for decades. Why sell? My other car depreciates $500-1000 per month..

Moral of story: You will not buy well-sorted truck for <10k. You can buy rust-free truck for 5k, aboslutely. But be prepared to take care of million other things. Inspections on all those rigs is pointless kind of. If it runs - engine is good. It's everything around 2uzfe that needs attention.
Alright whata worst case scenario if just buy it online for say 13k 160k mileage engine runs as the owner shows me a video online?

The goal would be to buy it online so that nob one else would buy it from me. How much would I be looking at to spend to fix? I get that it depends but I cant just go drive around LA looking for a cruiser.

Alright whata worst case scenario if just buy it online for say 13k 160k mileage engine runs as the owner shows me a video online?

The goal would be to buy it online so that nob one else would buy it from me. How much would I be looking at to spend to fix? I get that it depends but I cant just go drive around LA looking for a cruiser.

I have 2001 with 200k (bought it with 190k). You can open my topic and see what kind of stuff I was working on. 160k is close to 2nd TB job. Those are old trucks. You may or may not need to do a lot. Who knows? They are nice but it's still just a 20yo vehicle. With 160k miles. Expect working on suspension and so on.

Sorry for insulting, I didnt mean to.

There's nothing wrong with being an enthusiast, but to think that everyone who wants a LC is an enthusiast is funny. Im talking about those who sell LC's, especially dealers. They think that I'm going to buy their flooded auctioned LC for 8k over average to be christopher columbus in Colorado - No. I just need something reliable to drive to my fishing ramp and back to home and I read online that Sequoias are not as reliable and that they break quickly.

Since I never owned an LC I can only go by online reviews and do calculuations like below when determining a deal:

Take two LC100's for sale.
1. 160k Miles - Asking 15k, maybe can sell for 14k. 1st major maint done, No rust no check engine nothing, life expectancy 400k if maintaned.
2. 150k Miles - Asking 12k, maybe can sell for 10k. Rusted out damaged/we. Life exptencancy 300k. 1st major maint done, 2nd nope, 3rd nope, 4th non-existent because wont last that long.

Total Cost:
1. 14k price+ 2k shipping/inspection + 1k initial patching + 3*5k major maintenace = ~32k total over 400k-160k = 240k miles. That's 13.3 cents/mile.
2. 10k price + 500 inspection no shipping NE near me + 3k initial patching (something is guaranteed broken) + 2*5k major maint 23.5k for 300k-150k = 150k miles. Thats 15.6 cents a mile.

Big difference? probably not but in one case im getting a better deal and a better car to begin with. Also since this is 1st cruiser, I'd probably not want to spend 20k upfront for a Queen and at same time I cant get rusted out PoS for 8-10k. A middle ground no rust for 13k with 190k (after 2nd major maint) would be ideal.

Ideal deals I'm targeting strictly nuymber -wise:

Steal Deals
=======
1. No rust 15k 98-02LC asking going for 13.5k 160k miles low initial maintenance cost
2. No rust 12 k 98-02LC asking going for 11k 160k miles with some fixing up to do
3. No rust 10k 02 LC- asking going for 10k 150k miles little bit more fixing up to do (this deal was actually a FL car brought to nearby-deal went to another guy a few days before i started looking for a LC)

Good Deals
=======
4. No rust 18k 98-02LC asking going for 16k 180k miles 2nd major maintenance done.
5. No rust 15k asking going for 15k about 160k miles 2nd major maint NOT done but low initial maint cost.

All the above I've found but failed to act quickly on as someone locally scopped it up. I wonder if i should just buy cash online blindly.

I think you'll find the reality of ownership is far more expensive and less predictable than those figures. It's very hard to predict maintenance costs over the course of 5+ years. Here's my breakdown over 6.5 years with an ultra-reliable 100. Very few breakdowns and only a few thousand in "mods".

6.5 years
90k miles
Purchase price: $10k
Parts Cost in maintenance: $11,000
Mods: $3500

Total investment: ~$25k. $0.28/mile.

Current value: maybe $13k

Net running cost: $12k over 6.5 years. $.13/mile + gasoline.

Not included in the above is labor. I'm a hardcore DIY'er with a lift and full air tool setup in my home garage. The average DIY'er would have a significant additional labor cost for a few jobs and a non-DIY'er would have a labor cost probably in excess of $10k on top of my figures.

100 Series ownership isn't cheap. Don't fret a thousand or two on the purchase price. You're sure to blow waaaay past that in just a couple repairs or baselining that you'll inevitably need.

I think you'll find the reality of ownership is far more expensive and less predictable than those figures. It's very hard to predict maintenance costs over the course of 5+ years. Here's my breakdown over 6.5 years with an ultra-reliable 100. Very few breakdowns and only a few thousand in "mods".

6.5 years
90k miles
Purchase price: $10k
Parts Cost in maintenance: $11,000
Mods: $3500

Total investment: ~$25k. $0.28/mile.

Current value: maybe $13k

Net running cost: $12k over 6.5 years. $.13/mile + gasoline.

Not included in the above is labor. I'm a hardcore DIY'er with a lift and full air tool setup in my home garage. The average DIY'er would have a significant additional labor cost for a few jobs and a non-DIY'er would have a labor cost probably in excess of $10k on top of my figures.

100 Series ownership isn't cheap. Don't fret a thousand or two on the purchase price. You're sure to blow waaaay past that in just a couple repairs or baselining that you'll inevitably need.

Do you replace part by part as it wears or do you do major maintenace every 90k miles? 12k is a lot for regular maintenance unless you are running some extras. What would my costs look like for a mall cruiser? I just need to get to my boat ramp (just an 18 ft boat total weight at most 2k lb including trailer).

So far with my 4runner: about 400$ spent on maintenance over 40k miles ( 3 years). I'm looking for the cheapest most reliable truck that will get me and my family to the ramp or on a road trip with occasional dirt driving. No lift no oversized tires no nothing all stock.

I have 2001 with 200k (bought it with 190k). You can open my topic and see what kind of stuff I was working on. 160k is close to 2nd TB job. Those are old trucks. You may or may not need to do a lot. Who knows? They are nice but it's still just a 20yo vehicle. With 160k miles. Expect working on suspension and so on.
Will I get to my boat ramp? Will I be able to drive it wouth hearing parts dragging against the ground behind my truck? and will i be stuck?

This is a serious question, hence my skepticism. I've dealt with dealers in NY like you havent seen before. I even BOUGHT a car to pick up next day only to have it stolen by the dealership after I paid for it. Can you believe that? That's a seperate story.

I just need this thing to drive and have a good engine.

Don't know man. Those don't look like deals to me. I know my friend sent me couple CL listings from California. Those trucks were selling (2 of them) for 7-8k and had about 120k miles. It was back when everyone went on quarantine. They went within a week, but they were available to grab if need.

Prices dipped like 20-30% across the board everywhere because of a liquidity crunch. In event of those rare moments, everything goes down, even safe havens. I'd say the only thing that went up was the price of guns. I was standing on that line. I had to overpay for it self protection, as opposed to this which is just a car.

Will I get to my boat ramp? Will I be able to drive it wouth hearing parts dragging against the ground behind my truck? and will i be stuck?

This is a serious question, hence my skepticism. I've dealt with dealers in NY like you havent seen before. I even BOUGHT a car to pick up next day only to have it stolen by the dealership after I paid for it. Can you believe that? That's a seperate story.

I just need this thing to drive and have a good engine.

Yes, my truck would probably run until now and for much more even if I didn't touch a thing. It may clunk, etc but it will go. So, I would say if you get running truck (runs, shifts, etc) - you will most likely go for years until it brakes. We like to maintain and have everything perfect here. But it's rare when truck just stops preventing you from getting somewhere.

Yes, my truck would probably run until now and for much more even if I didn't touch a thing. It may clunk, etc but it will go. So, I would say if you get running truck (runs, shifts, etc) - you will most likely go for years until it brakes. We like to maintain and have everything perfect here. But it's rare when truck just stops preventing you from getting somewhere.

So under that presumption, would you think its ok to buy a car for say 12k - either online - or by placing a deposit and being at the private owner/dealership the next day and having the owner drive your from airport and letting you use it for say half the trip to the owners home/near by home in exchange for the remaining in cash?

I could see that happening.

Looking to buy a fairly priced 100 series cruiser, but dont know how to go about the finance process.

A lot of the time I see a rust free LC100 - it is in the south west (and I am located in north east)- and by the time I ask for under carriage photos - the owner tells me they have a pending offer.

I have many questions with regards to this - but what step by step process from start to finish would you recommend me doing to get a cruiser that isnt going to fall apart on a highway from the seller to my driveway here in the north east?

Car will likely be from the south / south west, but I have no idea how to realistically get the deal done ( inspection done, cash paid, bill of sale done) timely before someone else locally beats me to it.

I would greatly appreciate your help - and I know one thing - I will not have a bidding war due to emotional reasons, as painful as it may be.

you need patience and the ability to be Jonny on the Spot should a deal be made available. I’m litterally sitting in an airport right now on my way to pick up a Hundy I found on here. A year ago a gem slipped from my grasp because I didn’t have the funds available. This time, the current owner and I agreed on a deposit to put the truck on hold while we combed through the deets. That way the owner knows you’re serious and not a lookie-loo.

I live in Omaha and am on my way to Bend, Oregon to pick her up, that’s about 1,500mi. For transparency and convenience, the owner sent me high def videos and photos of inside and out. I was lucky enough to snag one with an amazing service history and even was put in touch with the prior owner. People in the Hundy world are cool and passionate, I felt like I was being screened to make sure she was going to a good home, too 😂.

Good luck and take your time.

you need patience and the ability to be Jonny on the Spot should a deal be made available. I’m litterally sitting in an airport right now on my way to pick up a Hundy I found on here. A year ago a gem slipped from my grasp because I didn’t have the funds available. This time, the current owner and I agreed on a deposit to put the truck on hold while we combed through the deets. That way the owner knows you’re serious and not a lookie-loo.

I live in Omaha and am on my way to Bend, Oregon to pick her up, that’s about 1,500mi. For transparency and convenience, the owner sent me high def videos and photos of inside and out. I was lucky enough to snag one with an amazing service history and even was put in touch with the prior owner. People in the Hundy world are cool and passionate, I felt like I was being screened to make sure she was going to a good home, too 😂.

Good luck and take your time.
And what happens if it turns out to be a lemon due to engine issues you cannot solve easily (hypothetical). Do you get your deposit back?

And what happens if it turns out to be a lemon due to engine issues you cannot solve easily (hypothetical). Do you get your deposit back?

I suppose I take it like a man and deal with it. There are no guarantees in buying a 15yr old vehicle. If it breaks, I have it shipped home and fix it. If you’re worried about lemons and unforeseen issues, buy a new vehicle with a warranty. Hell, dealer/manufacturers are giving s*** away right now.

Do you replace part by part as it wears or do you do major maintenace every 90k miles? 12k is a lot for regular maintenance unless you are running some extras. What would my costs look like for a mall cruiser? I just need to get to my boat ramp (just an 18 ft boat total weight at most 2k lb including trailer).

So far with my 4runner: about 400$ spent on maintenance over 40k miles ( 3 years). I'm looking for the cheapest most reliable truck that will get me and my family to the ramp or on a road trip with occasional dirt driving. No lift no oversized tires no nothing all stock.

I have a higher set of expectations than most, I suppose. I replace anything that's showing wear that would affect functionality or reliability. I view it as a cost-savings measure in the long run.

I suppose this is largely a question of tolerance. If you can wait until you're literally on the roadside stranded to fix things, you could keep ownership costs much lower. For those of us that off-road, being stranded can easily mean a $1,000+ tow bill so it makes sense to stay on top of maintenance more than the usual car owner.

I also want to drive a nice vehicle, so I replace bearings when they make some noise - well before they outright fail. I replace/rework CVs when the boots split - well before they click. I replace coolant hoses when they start cracking - well before they fail on the road.

For a mall cruiser, I wouldn't expect a significantly lower cost of ownership. These vehicles are built to endure serious abuse. Typical off-roading doesn't accelerate wear too much beyond highway miles. Rubber still wears out, belts still wear, bearings still wear, etc...

Generally, you would not get any deposit back and if purchased, you would not get any sort of refund unless you attempted return within hours. Even then, laws vary by state. This is the risk of buying non-local vehicles. Fortunately, with the 100 series the risks of engine damage are low. Not zero, but low.

I’m actually surprised 100 prices are not higher than they are. Similar year V8 4gen 4Runners easily for for $10k+ around Chicago with high mileage and rotted underneath.

I have a higher set of expectations than most, I suppose. I replace anything that's showing wear that would affect functionality or reliability. I view it as a cost-savings measure in the long run.

I suppose this is largely a question of tolerance. If you can wait until you're literally on the roadside stranded to fix things, you could keep ownership costs much lower. For those of us that off-road, being stranded can easily mean a $1,000+ tow bill so it makes sense to stay on top of maintenance more than the usual car owner.

I also want to drive a nice vehicle, so I replace bearings when they make some noise - well before they outright fail. I replace/rework CVs when the boots split - well before they click. I replace coolant hoses when they start cracking - well before they fail on the road.

For a mall cruiser, I wouldn't expect a significantly lower cost of ownership. These vehicles are built to endure serious abuse. Typical off-roading doesn't accelerate wear too much beyond highway miles. Rubber still wears out, belts still wear, bearings still wear, etc...

Generally, you would not get any deposit back and if purchased, you would not get any sort of refund unless you attempted return within hours. Even then, laws vary by state. This is the risk of buying non-local vehicles. Fortunately, with the 100 series the risks of engine damage are low. Not zero, but low.
I just realized in one of the posts i made - I can just go get one off copart. At least I'll know what I'm getting ahead of time.

*Edit - or include LX470 so as long as if AHC breaks - i can replace with LC AHC. my impression is that if AHC fails - would i be able to still drive it? I dont care if Im at low med or high setting.,

Last edited:
I just realized in one of the posts i made - I can just go get one off copart. At least I'll know what I'm getting ahead of time.

*Edit - or include LX470 so as long as if AHC breaks - i can replace with LC AHC. my impression is that if AHC fails - would i be able to still drive it? I dont care if Im at low med or high setting.,

The AHC fears are incredibly overblown, in my opinion. That system is as robust as the hydraulic braking system in most modern vehicles. You can rip it out and install non-AHC suspension, but unless you DIY the whole thing with used parts it will be cheaper and easier to just fix AHC. It has one expensive wear item and that is the set of globes. They're around $1000 to replace and need replacement about once every ten years or ~150k miles. Springs may also need replacement, but that's highly variable.

If AHC fails on the street it's a minor inconvenience. If it fails on a difficult off road trail, it can be a bigger deal.

If you buy a rig with AHC, adjust the springs as needed and replace the globes when worn. That simple sentence will greatly reduce the likelihood of AHC failure. Be warned, 95%+ of mechanics will have no idea what the system is, how it works or how to fix it. Take that suspension into almost any shop and their "fix" is generally going to be a complete removal of the system or complete replacement of AHC components - generally because they have no idea what they're doing.

AHC provides a much more comfortable ride on the street and offers vastly improved towing capability since the suspension can react on the fly to varying load changes on the hitch. It does come with a certain level of maintenance cost and complexity. Small price to pay for its benefits in my eyes, but you'll find plenty of folks here that remove it on sight.

Final option is to wait for unemployment benefits to run out and wait for people to suffer in the recession right around the corner - where I can not only get a "fair deal". but rather the opposite, deliver all the pain the other direction. It's not what I want to do but it looks like a bunch of stuck up people think their trucks are worth 10k+ for 200k+ miles. It's hilarious.

You'd have a lot more luck finding a truck by not insulting sellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom