NEED HELP!! FAN CLUTCH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I own a 1993 FZJ80 with a 1FZFE engine. Few weeks ago my fan clutch stop working, it just free spin which cracked my radiator. Theres no parts for FZJ80 here only 1HZ. I have to order online which might take 2-3 months due to boarder restriction and covid.

I managed to find a 1HZ fan clutch which is the same as the 1FZFE. But the only problem is the 1HZ pilot hole is smaller than the 1FZFE. (see attached image)

So my Question. is it okay to drill the 1HZ pilot hole as the 1FZFE and use it.

PicsArt_10-11-11.17.12.jpg

If you can get silicone fluid (15000 cst), you can take the clutch apart and filled up with fresh fluid:

That would give you enough time to get the new OEM parts from abroad
Alternatively, depending parts availability were you live, perhaps you want to consider a double pulling electric fan mod (plenty of info in the forum)...just saying…
Long term solution is a modified OEM clutch from @landtank
Good luck!
Cheers!

They are not the same however I use the 1HZ clutch for trucks with a super charger.

Ideally you want a slip fit between the water pump stud and the clutch to ensure that the fan runs true to center.
Yes.. i just want the clutch to slip fit with the water pump stud.

If you can get silicone fluid (15000 cst), you can take the clutch apart and filled up with fresh fluid:

That would give you enough time to get the new OEM parts from abroad
Alternatively, depending parts availability were you live, perhaps you want to consider a double pulling electric fan mod (plenty of info in the forum)...just saying…
Long term solution is a modified OEM clutch from @landtank
Good luck!
Cheers!

I am in solomon islands, so to find parts for a fzj80 is very hard. What we do here is compare parts with other similar parts and almost every spare part shop here sell cheap chinese stuff.

I understand your situation. That was my rationale behind the idea to rebuild the clutch-if possible. If you can get the silicone fluid from Australia, that's an avenue worth considering
Good luck!
Cheers!

Thanks bro... i'll try to order silicone fluid. Which cst is good for the hot climate???

Is the height the same for both fan clutches, or is one taller??

Thanks bro... i'll try to order silicone fluid. Which cst is good for the hot climate???
Try getting the silicone oil from a hobby shop. RC toys use this in their drives.

I would suggest anything above 10,000. Some folks over here in the in the south west (way over 100F/40C) are OK with it.
Good luck!
Cheers!

This is the original Fan clutch which i took out from my 80. Can i mod it or not??

20211013_160143.jpg

20211013_160208.jpg

I would say yes, as long as you have the large o-ring that goes around the edge. What color is the hub? You can read all about blue hub modifications by searching. 15,000-30,000 cSt silicone oil is used depending on individual heat challenges. I think 20,000 may be the most common.

These are pretty easy to change and the silicone oil is cheap. It's a black hub (which is good) per your first pic so if I had oil I'd definitely drain/refill and then set the opening temp and run it. You can always change or adjust it later if it's not working well. My responses on your other thread on this included how to search/find many threads on how to do all of that.

It's already adjusted pretty close to the limit for cooler/earlier opening so I'd definitely setup a test to see at which ports it starts opening to make sure it opening at an acceptable temp. If all else is good you may be able to slightly bend the thermostat spring to get it into a range of operation that can be tuned by the two screws...

In an emergency situation. Is it bad to just make it a spool?

Asking for a friend

These are pretty easy to change and the silicone oil is cheap. It's a black hub (which is good) per your first pic so if I had oil I'd definitely drain/refill and then set the opening temp and run it. You can always change or adjust it later if it's not working well. My responses on your other thread on this included how to search/find many threads on how to do all of that.

It's already adjusted pretty close to the limit for cooler/earlier opening so I'd definitely setup a test to see at which ports it starts opening to make sure it opening at an acceptable temp. If all else is good you may be able to slightly bend the thermostat spring to get it into a range of operation that can be tuned by the two screws...
Thanks..

That clutch appears to be OK. Hopefully you can get a new o’ring that will seal the clutch.
Given the year-round hot and humid climate were you live, it would seem sensible to up load the clutch with, at least, 15K cst silicone. Albeit 20K would do for sure.
Once you know how to get it (I guess from a RC hobby store in Australia?) the rest should be easy.
Good luck!
Cheers!

Update!! I've been cleaning the clutch and found that the clutch broke inside along the outer side of the grove thing which the oil runs (see red line the picture). Thats no good. So i think, I have to order a new one with some silicone oil.
20211014_131553.jpg

Any ways, Thanks every one for helping me out with ur suggestions, infor and etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom