Need Help Assembling Early Doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sending out an S.O.S. (again).
Finally was able to retrieve our 1970 front doors today from painter's prison. Have started assembly and have run into a serious road block. Can someone please tell me how to install the main window? I'm at the point where I have already put in the weather-stripping into the channels and have slid in the upper part of the door to mate up with the lower part.

I sure appreciate the help!

Door Assembly.1.jpg

Door Assembly.2.jpg

Door Assembly.3.jpg

I believe you need to install glass into channel but you must have the regulator and bumper installed. The window rests on the regulator assembly.

door early.PNG

Separate the door parts, slide the glass into the channel, reassemble the door and channel, then install the window regulator.

Make sure all your felt and rubber is in place beforehand as well.

Don't install the glass wiper seals (the horizontal pieces that wipe the glass) until after the frame and glass are inside the door.

Leave the bumper (#56) off until AFTER the glass wiper seals have been snapped into place. With the bumper missing, the glass can slide down out of the vicinity of the wiper seals.

Also, you will see that one or two of the screws holding the frame in place thread directly into the channel the glass slides in. Use the short screws here, since the long ones will hit the glass and shatter it. Mark the hole for the short screws with masking tape, so you won't forget!

Last edited:
Don't install the glass wiper seals (the horizontal pieces that wipe the glass) until after the frame and glass are inside the door.

Leave the bumper (#56) off until AFTER the glass wiper seals have been snapped into place. With the bumper missing, the glass can slide down out of the vicinity of the wiper seals.

Also, you will see that one or two of the screws holding the frame in place thread directly into the channel the glass slides in. Use the short screws here, since the long ones will hit the glass and shatter it. Mark the hole for the short screws with masking tape, so you won't forget!
Thank you all so much. I'm happy to report that both doors have now been assembled. Probably used 10 gallons of dish soap on those dog gone vent windows! Now another question: What is the preferred way of installing the doors to the body without screwing up the paint? 1) Mount the hinges to the door then hang the door by trying to insert the hinge pins; or 2) go ahead and mount the hinges to the body and then attach the doors to the hinges? This forum is invaluable. I really appreciate all of the help.

You do not want to fight with the hinge pins.

You might need to lean the windshield forward to install the upper pins.

Its also really good to have a second pair of hands for this job.

I like to use longer than stock bolts, one for each hinge, for the initial hanging of the door. It’s just easier.

One bolt In each hinge should be good enough to try and close the door to check alignment. Keep in mind with new perimeter weatherstripping you’re only going to get so close before the strip on the leading edge binds the door.

if you can’t get the door close enough to determine alignment that way, you will have to put in the rest of the hinge bolts before you can try to shut the door.

And though you didn’t ask, in my opinion if the truck was only painted a week ago, you’re rushing.

You do not want to fight with the hinge pins.

You might need to lean the windshield forward to install the upper pins.

Its also really good to have a second pair of hands for this job.

I like to use longer than stock bolts, one for each hinge, for the initial hanging of the door. It’s just easier.

One bolt In each hinge should be good enough to try and close the door to check alignment. Keep in mind with new perimeter weatherstripping you’re only going to get so close before the strip on the leading edge binds the door.

if you can’t get the door close enough to determine alignment that way, you will have to put in the rest of the hinge bolts before you can try to shut the door.

And though you didn’t ask, in my opinion if the truck was only painted a week ago, you’re rushing.
Hi Mark. I'm always grateful for your opinions! I still have a ways before hanging the doors. BTW: All of your parts fit nicely into rebuilding the doors today. But it was a real PIA, especially the vent windows and the felts and wipers. I'll probably have nightmares tonight about those stupid retaining pins. I would have liked to have seen the poor assembly line worker who drew that job. New distributor with Petronix and aluminum valve cover I'll call you on Monday about those lower front bumper brackets.
Have a great weekend in Kali.

07.31.2021.Passenger Side Door Exterior.jpg

07.31.2021.Passenger Side Door Interior.jpg

Aluminum Valve Cover.jpg

Hello Green Bean: I ordered my seal kit from SOR. It looks to me the seal is to short??? Am I missing something, do I need to stretch the rubber? I know it’s been a year since you installed yours, I was hoping you could help. I attached two pictures.

Thank you,

Ben

Thank you all so much. I'm happy to report that both doors have now been assembled. Probably used 10 gallons of dish soap on those dog gone vent windows! Now another question: What is the preferred way of installing the doors to the body without screwing up the paint? 1) Mount the hinges to the door then hang the door by trying to insert the hinge pins; or 2) go ahead and mount the hinges to the body and then attach the doors to the hinges? This forum is invaluable. I really appreciate all of the help.

7FC6250F-3486-49AD-B3BB-D0151F6B7EF7.jpeg

F4DF9749-8E69-454D-B7CA-F2F6C2E178E4.jpeg

Ben:
I struggled with the vent window weatherstripping but eventually was able to make it fit. I don't know if this thread will help:
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom