Hard Door Window Glass Replacement and Vent Window Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
I was putting new window felt in my 1968 Hard Doors today and I broke the glass.

Is there any way to get the glass into the door without taking the door apart? My project is unique in that it is an original 1968 that is relatively solid but cracking open the door is going to be a big deal. The philips head screws will not budge so I will have to break them or unscrew them with vice grips. I'm hoping I can replace the glass and reseat it in the regulator through the access panel.

Possible?

Second, I removed the vent window gasket on the drivers door to replace with some I got from Kurt. It took me 2 hours to scrape and claw the 48 year old weatherstripping/gasket out and an hour to get the new one back in and the window would not come close to closing with that gasket. WAY too big.

Any tips on the above? I am super bummed. I basically ruined a door today and I need some guidance. If the glass requires the door to be apart then I know what I am going to be doing tomorrow.

IMG_2036.JPG

Ugh shoot me.

IMG_2041.JPG

Im so sad about the vent window. My old seal was hard as a brick but it wasn't terrible. Now I don't know what to do.

IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG

This is the replacemt gasket. It was a total bitch to get shoved in the grooves but once I got it in the window was not going to close. Not even close.

I got mine from @Racer65 and they fit perfectly. It was not easy though to get them on as they fit tight. The first time I tried it I didn't get it right so then did it a second time and it went on much better. I found starting in a corner was key and you need to make sure to hold the corner while you fit it. Then once you reach another corner hold that corner. Repeat the process until done. I don't know if our windows are the same (mine is a 74) but the process should be similar. Good luck! Try again, you might have better luck. Sorry to hear about your broken glass... :(

IMG_6686.JPG

I got mine from @Racer65 and they fit perfectly. It was not easy though to get them on as they fit tight. The first time I tried it I didn't get it right so then did it a second time and it went on much better. I found starting in a corner was key and you need to make sure to hold the corner while you fit it. Then once you reach another corner hold that corner. Repeat the process until done. I don't know if our windows are the same (mine is a 74) but the process should be similar. Good luck! Try again, you might have better luck. Sorry to hear about your broken glass... :(

View attachment 1374943

There has to be something different about the 68 doors and windows. I know there are 2 types of vent windows but these fit but they just have way too much material there for the size of my opening. Once I put the glass in there I'm going to have to start cutting rubber away just to get it to come close to closing.

The wing window in the picture appears to either have the gasket in backwards or it is a passenger side gasket in a driver's side door.
It looks backwards.
The thicker part should be facing out in the lower forward corner as shown in Ginmtb's picture.

Some suggestions for seating the gasket...
Buff the edges of the channel with scotch brite to make it smooth.
Use dish soap in water on the rubber & channel.
Make a blunt stick to push on the rubber without cutting it. The butt end of a toothbrush handle or paint mixing stick works Ok for this.

To replace the door glass the top frame at least has to come off , 4 round head Philips type screws.
I think you'll want to take off the whole door and lay it flat.

Note the length of the screws when you take them out. Somebody here on Mud broke a window while putting a door back together by tightening a screw into the glass.
An impact driver is good for loosening the screws so you don't bugger up the heads. The screw heads are tall enough that a pair of vise grips can get a hold on them to work them loose but will leave teeth marks.
Good luck and sorry about your trouble.

The gasket seems right I just could not get enough jammed into the channel to make it right I guess. Now that I have the frame apart I'll try it again

IMG_2058.JPG

I only broke the bottom 2 but the channel is in bad shape down that low. This tool is a hammer screwdriver.

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

I treated it all with rust converter and I'll try to tap out those broken screws.

IMG_2057.JPG

Of all the million 1/2 door threads I've never seen the most obvious option.

The wing window in the picture appears to either have the gasket in backwards or it is a passenger side gasket in a driver's side door.
It looks backwards.
The thicker part should be facing out in the lower forward corner as shown in Ginmtb's picture.

Some suggestions for seating the gasket...
Buff the edges of the channel with scotch brite to make it smooth.
Use dish soap in water on the rubber & channel.
Make a blunt stick to push on the rubber without cutting it. The butt end of a toothbrush handle or paint mixing stick works Ok for this.

To replace the door glass the top frame at least has to come off , 4 round head Philips type screws.
I think you'll want to take off the whole door and lay it flat.

Note the length of the screws when you take them out. Somebody here on Mud broke a window while putting a door back together by tightening a screw into the glass.
An impact driver is good for loosening the screws so you don't bugger up the heads. The screw heads are tall enough that a pair of vise grips can get a hold on them to work them loose but will leave teeth marks.
Good luck and sorry about your trouble.

Thank you so much. Yeah. Looking at the picture I posted and the gasket on the glass now I had the gasket going in 180 degrees wrong.

I'll polish those channels while I am waiting to find some glass.

Embarrassingly simple when one installs the part correctly.

Thanks for the tips. I sanded and soaped and popped it in in 10 min

IMG_2070.JPG

I replaced the gasket without incident. It was fairly easy in my case, however...
I have a related question:

How the :censor: do you get the glass back into the frame??

I am replacing the rubber around the glass also and can not get it back in.

Any tips / suggestions are welcome!!

I replaced the gasket without incident. It was fairly easy in my case, however...
I have a related question:

How the :censor: do you get the glass back into the frame??

I am replacing the rubber around the glass also and can not get it back in.

Any tips / suggestions are welcome!!
There is a You Tube video of a guy rebuilding his door. Don't know if it will help, but here is the link.:
Let us know where you obtained your replacement glass and how it turns out. I'm getting close to having to go down this road with all new glass & weather stripping.
Good luck.

There is a You Tube video of a guy rebuilding his door. Don't know if it will help, but here is the link.:
Let us know where you obtained your replacement glass and how it turns out. I'm getting close to having to go down this road with all new glass & weather stripping.
Good luck.

Should’ve specified “wing vent” window.
My glass is all fine. The rubber in the wing vent frames was working its way out, so I had to replace it, so I did all of the rubber at once.

I’m usually pretty good at figuring things out, but getting that wing vent glass back in the frame with new rubber is proving to be a challenge for me... I don’t want to tear the rubber, or worse, break the glass!!

Someone on this forum must’ve replaced the wing vent glass rubber... 🙏🏼
I can’t believe I’d be the first!

Someone on this forum must’ve replaced the wing vent glass rubber... 🙏🏼
I can’t believe I’d be the first!
Hello:
Reviving an old thread in the hopes of getting some much needed assistance or advice. Working on door assembly and am confounded by the vent window weather stripping. The new w/s that I'm using is so lose that it just falls off. Either I'm doing something incredibly wrong here or this weather stripping is the wrong size. From the discussion above, I'm definitely under the impression that the w/s is supposed to be extremely tight fitting.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

Hello:
Reviving an old thread in the hopes of getting some much needed assistance or advice. Working on door assembly and am confounded by the vent window weather stripping. The new w/s that I'm using is so lose that it just falls off. Either I'm doing something incredibly wrong here or this weather stripping is the wrong size. From the discussion above, I'm definitely under the impression that the w/s is supposed to be extremely tight fitting.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

View attachment 2727926

View attachment 2727927

View attachment 2727928

View attachment 2727929
The weatherstriping/seal goes in the door channel opening, not installed on the wing window.....

The weatherstriping/seal goes in the door channel opening, not installed on the wing window.....
Well, then that explains the problem! The doors are at paint so I was just working with the vent windows thinking I would get a jump on things. I guess I'll have to wait until the doors come back from painter's prison. I appreciate you pointing out the stupidity of my question though.

Well, then that explains the problem! The doors are at paint so I was just working with the vent windows thinking I would get a jump on things. I guess I'll have to wait until the doors come back from painter's prison. I appreciate you pointing out the stupidity of my question though.
Use lots of soapy water, it helps with the installation.

Funny i did one door yesterday, and it was pretty simple with the unorthodox way. Just took a bunch of time.

7FE85215-210D-4DCD-AA9D-6B4110BD6E93.jpeg

I was dumbfounded on how to do this until i decided to take one of the ridges of the weatherstrip into the frame and then shove the other edge in with a BFS (big frickin screwdriver). The weatherstrip from city racer was extremely thick so i wasnt worried about it breaking. I also didn’t worry about the paint cause these doors weren’t original an have perfect green paint under the rusty yellow HAHA.

E896C3CB-4984-43AC-9DE1-7AA65A5BA41D.jpeg

However it was a pain in the a** to get the window in, a lot of shoving and patience to force it into the gasket was necessary as when one side was pushed on, the other popped out. Very nice and tight fit.

Use lots of soapy water, it helps with the installati

Funny i did one door yesterday, and it was pretty simple with the unorthodox way. Just took a bunch of time.

View attachment 2728114

I was dumbfounded on how to do this until i decided to take one of the ridges of the weatherstrip into the frame and then shove the other edge in with a BFS (big frickin screwdriver). The weatherstrip from city racer was extremely thick so i wasnt worried about it breaking. I also didn’t worry about the paint cause these doors weren’t original an have perfect green paint under the rusty yellow HAHA.

View attachment 2728115

However it was a pain in the a** to get the window in, a lot of shoving and patience to force it into the gasket was necessary as when one side was pushed on, the other popped out. Very nice and tight fit.
What is the proper order of the hardware that mounts on the bottom pivot? I have the spring, washers, plastic washer, and metal piece but I'm not sure what order they go in for re-assembly. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom