Need creative ideas (capture nut lost) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
‘67 fj40 purest restoration build. The top two bolts to my barn door hinge are supposed to screw into a threaded steel plate held in place with a capture nut style bracket inside of square tubing at top of tub. Very long store short, the retaining bracket broke loose the top weld and bent backward. Then The threaded steel plate bounced out and is sitting loose in square tubing behind the retaining bracket :bang:. Any suggestions on how to fix it other than drilling all the way through the square tubing and using an ugly 3” bolt and nut?

might be a good idea to get the loose plate out of there or you'll always have a rattle

to fix the holes, you can open the holes up to the size of the nut and weld the nut directly to the tub from the outside. problem doing it this way is they won't be adjustable.

you could cut open from the outside fish out the plate, weld it back in place to the cut out piece, then weld it back in place

those plates are only spot welded in the middle. The top and bottom (retainers) bend back and forth to allow you to remove that capture plate. I would just take it out and drill the hole back out or make a new one. It is just a square piece of steel with two drilled and threaded holes in it.

those plates are only spot welded in the middle. The top and bottom (retainers) bend back and forth to allow you to remove that capture plate. I would just take it out and drill the hole back out or make a new one. It is just a square piece of steel with two drilled and threaded holes in it.
I cant get it out because it is inside the square tubing.

Could you somehow use a pick, shake it or maybe even use a strong magnet to slide the treaded plate back into place? Then you could bolt it into place. When you are ready to attach the hinge remove one bolt and replace it with a bolt with the head cut off, remove the other and your hinge should slide over the headless bolt, then simply bolt the one side and then remove and replace the headless bolt.

Could you somehow use a pick, shake it or maybe even use a strong magnet to slide the treaded plate back into place? Then you could bolt it into place. When you are ready to attach the hinge remove one bolt and replace it with a bolt with the head cut off, remove the other and your hinge should slide over the headless bolt, then simply bolt the one side and then remove and replace the headless bolt.
Yes! This is the type of ideas im looking for! Love the idea about the bolt w head cut off. I tried a medium strength magnet; need to find a stronger one.
I may cut a slit in square tubing and try to ise a needle to slide it up and around the retaining bracket.

Years ago I had that same issue. I ended up cutting a rectangle piece of the tubing on the inside so I had room to remove the old hardware and then I tack welded the appropriate sized nut inside the tubing. Welded the rectangle piece back on and finished it off for painting. You can't even tell there was any work done there.

Years ago I had that same issue. I ended up cutting a rectangle piece of the tubing on the inside so I had room to remove the old hardware and then I tack welded the appropriate sized nut inside the tubing. Welded the rectangle piece back on and finished it off for painting. You can't even tell there was any work done there.
X2. Easy repair with a access hole. And it's done right!

Last edited:
Making a small slit in the bottom/back to insert a plate would work.

I’ve used RivNuts/NutCerts when I converted my hardtop to a hatch. They work well and are fast and easy. I also used them to mount the gas charged hatch struts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom