Need a slow PVC pipe cement. Know one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I had assumed somebody out there is selling super slow setting cement to give us more time to position pipes and fittings in difficult situations. I would like something like a few minutes for the parts to be able to move. To my surprise I have not yet seen such a product. I imagine heavier bodied cement will take longer but that may only be so much and it is not normally recommended for smaller pipes it seems.

Do you know of any? Or if not, which of the "usual" ones is slowest to set in your experience?

Yep, the “heavier” the cement the longer the setup time is - from fast to medium to slow: PVC Cements - Weld-On®

The 719 allows you to f*** around with it quite a bit before it sets up, but I’m not sure you’re going to get “minutes” before it sets up though. Really, even thirty or forty seconds ends up being a fairly long time when you’re working with such things. It is pretty thick and will fill in gaps on larger pipes, but you should be able to do smaller pipes if you don’t slop it on there. You could conceivably get a restriction in a small enough pipe if you slopped enough on there and it squeezed out into the pipe at the joint.

well, I got some medium bodied cement cuz I was doing only 2". And I got into trouble with one elbow that didn't want to go in.
Mistake one: it did seem overly tight when I dry fitted it. Should have backed off at that point.
Mistake 2: I was struggling to try and put it on very awkwardly in a deep hole, while leaning into the hole upside down. It didn't help I had already put a 4' section on top of that elbow, harder to maneuver. But when I realized it would not go on, I just gave up and I should instead have tried to take it off and saved the pipe. As I did it I had to cut off the half positioned elbow. And ended up with a 2" shorter pipe.
After that, I sanded all the pipe ends until the dry fit felt just right and it was no problem thereafter. Just takes a long time to sand the things...

Preparation is definitely the key. If anything feels “not right” in the dry fitting stage, it needs more work.

life is weird... I did this complicated assembly in-situ with a bunch of glued on elbows, valve, pressure regulator, a bunch of adapters and whatnot.
Pressure is excessive so I was worried about leaks on the complicated bits. Well, all the complicated joinery and threading done upside down did not leak one bit. The one part where there is a tiny leak is the most straightforward part of it all, a short section of straight pipe with 2 glued on ends that I made on my bench... I was not worried one bit about that one. Goes to show ya...

FYI The hotter the ambient temp the longer you will need to hold joints tightly together, the heat from the bonding can push joint back out especially on larger diameters. It will not be necessary to ask me how I know this

I recently built a drawer out of some 3/8" expanded PVC sheet and I took about 2-3 minutes to align the bottom properly. I used the little purple and clear kit. It was my first time playing with the stuff. Pretty cool, easy to cut, super light, and bonds strong.
I did see a slow set version at Ace while I was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom