Need a new steering dampener (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Needed a new steering dampener: Now not sure what I need

Bought a heavy duty dampener from SOR last summer but its time for a new one. My caster was way off (backwards) and I assume this caused excessive wear to the dampener. I have 33" BFG's, any suggestions on another dampener? Does it matter?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hmmm... is the caster fixed now?

I'd adress that first, and then go with OME. Seems to be a good option if you're using stock Relay Rod Ends... Direct bolt up, no funky brackets needed.

Casters fixed now. Just need to get a new dampener by this weekend.

Who sells the OME stabilizer?

Occasionally I get a mild shimmy in the steering. FSM says its a symptom of a bad dampener. Had the same problem when I first purchased the rig 2 years ago, replaced it and shimmy went away. Put a lift and 33" BFG's on a year and a half ago, replaced the dampener with a heavier duty one for the bigger tires, then realized I had a caster problem (see first post) and fixed caster, now I notice a shimmy again. Because the dampener was the problem the first time, I assume that its the problem again, especially given the fact that I have had a reverse caster since the lift, thus causing undue wear to the dampener...

This is my line of thinking.

Last edited:
Can't argue with your logic. Plus, a good dampner will compensate for other causes of shimmy: Improper/uneven caster, altered steering geometry, tire wear, tire balance, worn steering components, ect.

I see justification for buying and installing the dampner. Then look for the real problem if it still shimmys afterwards.....

Rick

Well, its been a while, but the shimmy is back. A reminder that the caster is fixed, and I have a new OME steering dampener installed. Haven't had any major issues, but what else can cause the front end to vibrate?

A lack of caster will make it shake like its going to break in two. The vehicle actually drives detter, in my opinion, with less caster. I run very little but I do run a stabilizer which makes it work well. I have to say that the stock dampener location is lame. It should be mounted between to axle housing and the tie rod, not between the frame and the drag link like Toyota did it. One other thing, I had three Skyjacker stabilizers fail on me; they developed bubbles or something, they had huge dead spots where there was no dampening. The first was under warranty, so was the second, the third I finally took off and replaced it with an ancient Big Yellow, the kind you saw on rigs back in the 70s and 80s, but the damn thing works!

I have new dampener, so I really don't think its the problem. But it could be. I'll have it checked.

A lack of caster will make it shake like its going to break in two.

no it won't.
lack of caster will give a tendancy to wonder.
death woble is the result of other issues.

Well, its been a while, but the shimmy is back. A reminder that the caster is fixed, and I have a new OME steering dampener installed. Haven't had any major issues, but what else can cause the front end to vibrate?

If you do a search for "death wobble" you'll find a lot of posts with similar (but less severe) symtoms to what you are describing.

First, make sure that caster, camber and toe are correct. Camber is not adjustable, directly, but a bent axle can change it.

Then make sure you have nothing loose, nor worn. Typical problem areas include:
knuckle bearings
wheel bearings
tie rod or drag link ends

Also important to check wheel balence, esp dynamic. Are tires in good shape, not worn badly?

You are right that the damper is masking a problem.

no it won't.
lack of caster will give a tendancy to wonder.
death woble is the result of other issues.

Yes, it will. Been there, done that. And that was after a knuckle rebuild with new bearings becuase I know that's what you're going to suggest next. New draglink with new ends too. Doesn't change with a shackle reversal kit either. Too little caster on a Cruiser will shake it to death, but a good steering dampener solves it nicely.

Yes, it will. Been there, done that. And that was after a knuckle rebuild with new bearings becuase I know that's what you're going to suggest next. New draglink with new ends too. Doesn't change with a shackle reversal kit either. Too little caster on a Cruiser will shake it to death, but a good steering dampener solves it nicely.

No, too little caster will amplify issues.

If the issues are not there, you will not have the shakes.

Steering dampers are bandaids for a bigger problem.

No, too little caster will amplify issues.

If the issues are not there, you will not have the shakes.

Steering dampers are bandaids for a bigger problem.

I'm going to disagree with you Mace. If the caster is all but gone (we're talking way out of factory spec) and everything else is tight, it will start a wobble that won't stop. I have just a few degrees of caster now, almost nothing, I think it drives better, but without a good dampener, it's not possible. And no, there are no other issues. For the record, it's amazing the diference just two degrees can make.

Last edited:
I think it may have been a sad combo of low tire pressure, loose steering damper bracket, and loose ubolts. :bang: I have only driven it once since discovering these issues, so time will tell. both knuckles have been rebuilt within the last 2 1/2 years.

tightened everything including u bolts, and still have a little shake, however less since I filled the tires.

did the rotation, I'll post up after the re-balancing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom