Mystery under steering column...What is this?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone identify what this thing is under my steering column, installed by PO? It says "Warner electric" on it, the left side of the faux wood grain "button" is depressable but springs back to the original position, there are wires coming out the back of the unit but they wind back behind the dash and I cannot tell where they go. There is also a hexagonal extension out the back with a threaded ?brass component. There is no noticeable effect by pushing the "button".

1350790-7fec898905683e901aa030b0ec39b2b6.jpg
1350792-c6a5889e3cffb733102e89ef29acea4b.jpg
1350793-9f592ec9fcfcca0e1f19173f0f1c0920.jpg

I'd like to remove it, but don't feel comfortable doing so until I know the purpose/function of it. Google search has been unhelpful thus far...

IMG_5768.JPG

IMG_5769.JPG

IMG_5771.JPG

Last edited:
Flux capacitor, if it could get to 88mph, it would work! :hillbilly:

Trailer brake controller?

Yep, a Jeep heat seeking missile control box also known as a brake controller. Wonder what the PO was towing to need a brake controller. Probably his broken down Jeep.

Put me down for trailer brake control.

^^^ Trailer Brakes

And....the trailer brake controllers have it. Tied for second is the flux capacitor (my personal favorite nomination) and the Jeep heat seeker missile controller.

Thank you for solving this for me!

you say "had". does that mean you ditched it? how difficult is it to remove without jacking up the wiring harness at the splices, etc?

I am going to ditch it.

That being said I am ditching the entire wiring harness on my 40, the PO has left mine in quite a state of disrepair! I put it in winter storage so I can't look at it right now to keep me distraction-free during my senior year of college, so I am not very helpful on the removal process.
20170613_204434.jpg
20170613_204458.jpg
20170614_063142.jpg

I will notice that mine had a brake line connected to the back of the unit, via that brass type fitting in the back. I don't see that connected on yours, so hopefully you just need to remove the wires and be good to go.

If you need help with that take some pictures of where the wires connect to the harness. I'll throw my opinion on how to best remove them if you would like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom