My new toy "Orange ya glad?" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.projektenterprises.com
Ok guys I bought a 69 fj40 that has some history in it for me. My father owned this 40 series until about the time I turned 14 or 15 and then decided to sell it without giving me a decent shot at letting me save up. There is a long story but the guy really screwed my dad on the deal. After about 4 years I heard that a friend of mine picked up a new orange 69 fj40 and I decided to go check it out, when I got there was I in for one big suprise, IT WAS MY OLD 40!!! I knew the second I looked at it but I had to be sure so I called up my friend and asked him what the name on the title was and sure enough it was the asshat that screwed my dad out of it 4 years earlier.

Fast forward 6 months and he had someone from Idaho who looked at it Friday (2-23) and said he would think about it and let him know on Monday. I started to panic because I knew I had very little time if I wanted this cruiser back. I decided today to run over to the bank and apply for a loan. APPROVED :bounce::bounce2: he came down to the bank signed the title and took his check for the full amount of $2,000. It comes home next Saturday but I'm going to post some pics to start this off.

Here's all I have for now but I will have more next week:D
DSCF5117_mud.JPG
DSCF5158_mud.JPG
DSCF5166_mud.JPG

So far here's the list of needed items:
1. Steering components, still debating between stock vs power
2. Brake work, lots of it. Yes this will be converted to disc front as a minimum.
3. TUNE UP! This thing runs but very rough
4. Full rewire: redneck got his hands on it and scewed up the wiring.
5. Some body and paint work. First order of business will be a full tear -down and sandblasting/rust coating frame

Congrats are reclaiming your lost 40.
What goes around comes around.

"Post those pics when you get it home"

Wow, thats awesome. I'm really glad you were able to get the rig back. I know what you felt watching it leave. My grandfather had a 1954 gmc wrap around window sitting in the barn all my life, hit 14 got interested in cars, go visit and the trucks not there. Long story short its in washington rusting and Im still trying to get it back. Personally since the rig has a lot of history to you, I would try and make it go back to how it was when you were a kid. So whatever mods or lack there of that your dad had on the rig I would go for. But thats just me, I like the whole time capsule thing.

Congrats man :cheers: :beer:

Personally since the rig has a lot of history to you, I would try and make it go back to how it was when you were a kid. So whatever mods or lack there of that your dad had on the rig I would go for. But thats just me, I like the whole time capsule thing.
Congrats man :cheers: :beer:

Thanks I am making my few mods purely in the interest of safety. I may leave the steering stock but will be replacing all the TREs and getting a center-arm rebuild kit if I can find one for this year (early center arm). This is actually very close to the same condition as when it left minus the lights and missing the ugly winch that was on the front. The shackles are the same as when it left and the tires are larger. The seats that are in it now are more comfortable so it's not ever going to go completely back but it will be close. I am going to repaint it the same orange color after I can find someone to match it for me. My dad still has an old set of rims I'm gonna grab off him hopefully.

:cheers: will keep this thread up to date as much as possible

Congrats are reclaiming your lost 40.
What goes around comes around.

"Post those pics when you get it home"

Thanks oh and in respect to the goes around comes around comment...he (the guy that screwed my dad) had to sell it to pay bills for his cancer. Karma is an ugly b**ch sometimes :doh:

You don't tug on Super Man's cape
You don't piss into the wind
You don't pull the mask of the old Lone Ranger
and you don't mess around with Cruiser Karma :D

(Slightly modified version of Bad Man Leroy Brown ) :cheers:

bitchin' classic tlca sticker....wish they'd never gone away from that one :thumb:

nice work, your starting to hog all the 40s makijng it harder for me to find them

Great work getting it back in the family!!

Three years ago, I bought my brother's 40 back from the guy he sold it to in 1990. Good memories...

As far as mods, my theory is: what would my brother have done to it if he had kept it and he were still with us?? It is definitely hard to change any of the things he personally did to it - especially the hand painted camo!

Now get busy making up for lost time with your 40!

Good Luck

Good to see someone get back "the one that got away" Looking forward to seeing more pic's.

Rick

Congrats, does this mean you are a proud owner of 2 FJ40's, or does your other one have to go?

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom