My New FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good find, and a good truck as far as I can see. Interesting color, post up what it is called after you get it !:cheers:

yea buying without being able to see or hear it, is a bit scary.

I bought mine off a single crappy trucktrader picture and over the phone :lol:

had never even seen one in real life before, much less driven

my POs did everything right :D (well except for the trailer wiring :rolleyes: that's gone now ;p)

Welcome to MUD!

Clean looking rig.

Shouldn't that 1981 FJ40 have the 2F in it? Or is there a different carb on it with a different air filter?

I don't see a carb or air filter - shouldn't they be on the left side of the last pic :confused:

I got my arrival documents today. :clap: The ship is in Singapore now. Only nine more stops till she makes it home.

...or 10 stops if there are Somali pirates in the area!:grinpimp:

sls019
Welcome to MUD! That is a nice truck you have found. I like the tan interior. First one I have seen like that.

Thanks! From what i hear their are a lot of small differences between NZ and US.

bsmith123

Crikey,

it has all it's pieces!

Watch out for the deadly cruiser beetles it may import, they eat holes in your wallet

The 40 hasn't even made it here yet and i have noticed my money is already disappearing faster then normal.

D'Animal

Welcome to MUD!

Clean looking rig.

Shouldn't that 1981 FJ40 have the 2F in it? Or is there a different carb on it with a different air filter?

Thanks, It is good to be around people that have the same sickness:D NZ seems to be a bit behind the times. The 81 still has drum brakes all the way around. It still has the F engine. (that i will probably swap with a 2F from my 78):cheers:

FJFOOL

Good find, and a good truck as far as I can see. Interesting color, post up what it is called after you get it !

Thanks! I have been :bang: trying to come up with a name for her. When it comes to me i will post up.

DSRTRDR

I bought mine off a single ****py trucktrader picture and over the phone

had never even seen one in real life before, much less driven

my POs did everything right (well except for the trailer wiring that's gone now )

Yea i have owned a 1978 for almost 2 year and i have never even been able to sit behind wheel let alone drive it:frown:

splib

...or 10 stops if there are Somali pirates in the area!

I paid extra for the pirate protection plan:)

D'Animal

Look over the valve cover where engine fire was and you can see the carb and an F type airfilter.

FIRE?? I figured it was just someone being sloppy while adding oil.

Thanks to everyone for your interest.

WOF Report

I finally got the company that did the last WOF inspection to send me a copy of why it failed. If they were this tough here in the states everyone would be walking.

1981WOF.tiff

Thanks, It is good to be around people that have the same sickness NZ seems to be a bit behind the times. The 81 still has drum brakes all the way around. It still has the F engine. (that i will probably swap with a 2F from my 78)

Yeah there are many differences, but the F/2F isn't one of them - 1981's from NZ should have the 2F. Really the "NZ oddities" are limited to oddball front bench, tan interior, cheap dealer-installed jump seats, no rollbar, drums all around (tho they're larger than the older drums).

FIRE?? I figured it was just someone being sloppy while adding oil.

Looks like a fire to me. There might be a relationship there with the possible mismatched motor...

Based on the houses in the background in your pictures it also looks like you bought that rig from "chrisman" on ebay, aka Kolly Classic Cars, aka Kos Chterev (or something like that). Lots of us on here have bought from him and almost everyone is happy, but he does appear to be fond of buying trucks that have failed WOF checks, repairing them with junkyard parts, and sending them overseas. My BJ42 from him has a FJ45 front axle with the grease pencil marks from the yard still on it... :rolleyes: Might explain the F motor in yours.

Amaurer and D'Animal - You are correct I did purchase from Kos. I would think that if there was a fire on the original motor and they swapped it with an F engine you would no longer be able to see signs of fire. I would also hope that if their were signs of fire the WOF would have revealed that. I guess i'll know for sure in May.

Pumpkin Something, Thats one i will have to keep in mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

D'animal - do you think it might have the F type air cleaner because of it being right hand drive?

Here is a 2F air filter assy from a 1976 and a 1977. (I don't know if they are different down under or not. I doubt it but I don't know.)

Notice how you cannot see the entire valve cover or the entire carburetor.

The F filter assy is a simple one.

Nothing to be concerned about. Enjoy your new rig and congrats!
Copy (2) of Copy of DSCF4358.JPG
Copy of DSCF4359.JPG

Australian 40's had a different style air filter housing, it did not cross the valve cover and remained on the carb side of the motor.

Not sure about the NZ though ?:meh:

Depends how oringinal you want to go, fit a US style one if they are easier to source.

Good luck on aquiring a neat vehicle !

Here is a 2F air filter assy from a 1976 and a 1977. (I don't know if they are different down under or not. I doubt it but I don't know.)

Nothing to be concerned about. Enjoy your new rig and congrats!

Australian 40's had a different style air filter housing, it did not cross the valve cover and remained on the carb side of the motor.

Depends how oringinal you want to go, fit a US style one if they are easier to source.

Thanks for the clarification.

:cheers:

Looks like NZ got that style too:

ToyoDIY.com

Thanks for the great input. My 1978 has the same filter that is in the pictures D'animal posted. Does anyone now of a source to see the specs for NZ FJ40's. I hear that the NZ FJ40's have the full floating rear axle?

Last edited:
Thanks for the great input. My 1978 has the same filter that is in the pictures D'animal posted. Does anyone now of a source to see the specs for Aussie / NZ FJ40's. I hear that the NZ FJ40's have the full floating rear axle?

NZ is like all markets in there were plenty of variants, so there is no "spec sheet" per se. You need to wait until you can see your frame code to be sure, but I'm going to bet that you have an FJ40RV-KC - you could use that in the EPC (or at Toyodiy.com) to get a coarse idea of the equipment fitted.

Also, AUS and NZ are different specs so don't lump them together (even if you don't mind the indignant kiwis who will come out of the woodwork to remind us filthy americans that NZ and AUS are distinct, there are still some technical differences). One that I know exists for sure is the brake/filter/vacuum warning lights - the AUS spec incorporates some funny Australian requirement for different warning signals. But there are surely other subtleties as well.

You can see in your pictures that, yes, you have a full floater in the rear, as most (or all?) NZ trucks do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom