My name is 120mm and I am a Ryobi One addict (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
A couple years back, a friend turned me on to Ryobi One cordless tools.

Since that time, I've added tool after tool, until I've got Ryobi One cordless everything.

A lawnmower, belt sander, radial saw, 3/8" wrench, drill, fan and shop light.

And I'm looking to add a weed trimmer, leaf blower and 4 1/2" angle grinder soon.

I'm finding they are excellent for most home use, and in fact, have used them as a professional as well, and they were good enough for that.

I'm wondering if anyone else has traveled down this particular rabbit hole. I find myself weirdly drawn to them whenever I make it to Home Depot.

Unless you’re doing everything battery powered only, I’d like to recommend the Ryobi 4 stroke weed wacker. No more mixing the gas with oil, starts way easier and has more power. The only trade off, is periodically checking the oil level.

Unless you’re doing everything battery powered only, I’d like to recommend the Ryobi 4 stroke weed wacker. No more mixing the gas with oil, starts way easier and has more power. The only trade off, is periodically checking the oil level.
It sounds great, but I'm moving to a .14 acre lot, and really don't need the range.

I'm considering going with the 40W weed trimmer mainly so it will use the partially depleted battery from my lawn mower when I mow. Ryobi has a package where you get the 40W weed trimmer with a leaf blower, which I need to clean the wood chips out of my shop.

I’m with you I was all in with dewalt, after 10-15 years with dewalt as things needed replacing 2 years ago started switching to Ryobi. I’ve got drill, impact, belt sander, a leaf vac, and two of the 40v string trimmers.

I have an acre lot on the side of a mountain. 80’ vertical between the highest and lowest point. Have ~0.5 acre of grass. Have to do 1/3 of that entirely with a string trimmer due to the slope, I have 2 teenagers who have the job of cutting the slope. Prior to the battery ones I had two four stroke Stihl FS70R trimmers, these were in the professional line of products. Last spring I got a deal on the first 40v string trimmer. Quiet, more power, no maintenance. After 2 times mowing I sold both Stihls and bought another Ryobi. The electric is better across the board. Only way I would use a gas anymore is if I did professional lawn work and ran a trimmer 8+ hrs a day.

Last week I bought the 40v 16” chain saw (and sold my 16” stihl, but keeping my 20” and 25” for now) im buying the AWD mower as soon as they start stocking mowers (and selling my Honda) and probably will get the 2 stage snow thrower this fall (and I’m in Alaska).

I see that Ryobi has added a new line of HP brushless tools.

The legacy batteries will still work in the HP machines, but with less output.

I think I am gradually going to transition to the HP batteries, starting with the angle grinder.

Yes!

The green tool collection has been growing. Cruiser related, a fan, flood light, and impact driver have become regulars during maintenance and trips. Will be receiving the reciprocating saw on Father's Day too. I will admit the 18v string trimmer is about useless though.

What is the best way to keep these charged while traveling? I see they have a 12v auto plug charger but also have a small inverter that could be used on the standard charger. Can't find the power demand specs though to tell which would be preferred with by current setup in the 80.

Yes!

The green tool collection has been growing. Cruiser related, a fan, flood light, and impact driver have become regulars during maintenance and trips. Will be receiving the reciprocating saw on Father's Day too. I will admit the 18v string trimmer is about useless though.

What is the best way to keep these charged while traveling? I see they have a 12v auto plug charger but also have a small inverter that could be used on the standard charger. Can't find the power demand specs though to tell which would be preferred with by current setup in the 80.
I can't answer your question about charging while traveling, but I won't even consider the 18V trimmer.

Especially since I have a small yard and the 40V trimmer uses my lawnmower's battery.

Yes!

I’ve charged my 40v off the OEM inverter in my 200. Worked fine.

This is very encouraging. I stopped by local hardware store yesterday kicking around idea for pole saw. After little discussion and viewing the EGO line of things I did a little researching. Honestly I don’t know where Ryobi is made but saw “China” pretty quickly with researching EGO so I shifted gears.

I currently haul diesel from town for our little kubota which has a finish mower on the back, outside of that it gets little use. We mow maybe 1.5 acres with it then I use big brush hog for everything else. Due to the part time nature of living at farm until last month when we moved here FT dealing with my Stihl stuff being pain to start was frustrating. The damn blower always kicks my ass, the weed eater not so much. I’ll keep my big chainsaw but could see going with smaller electric for small stuff, I just don’t see a pole saw but Dewalt makes one and I’ve got plenty of 20V stuff

Research brought me to the 80V mower and all the other goods they make. Reviews online are very favorable. Tomorrow I’m going to Home Depot and dig a little more. This is obviously the way it’s going and I do have little concern how quick some of these items will get outdated with upgrades over time. Kinda like the 18v Dewalt stuff I have.

Not too much stuff out there that is not made in China any more, for better or for worse. Yes, I do love my gas engines, but am happily switching to electric for less powerful needs. Just makes more sense. I don't think I'll ever go Ryobi, though. Makita or possibly Milwaukee for me. And, yes, for those of us keeping our tools for a long time, planned obsolescence is a b@tch...

I own both makita and Dewalt tools and have been migrating towards Makita due to multiple battery issues with Dewalt.

I’m thinking along lines of Rypibi strictly for outdoors tools. Did little more research and as much as I hate the Chinese stuff Ryobi has some manufacturing here in the states.

I can't answer your question about charging while traveling, but I won't even consider the 18V trimmer.

Especially since I have a small yard and the 40V trimmer uses my lawnmower's battery.
Well, I am a big fat liar. Tried out both the 18v and 40v at the store, and decided the 18v was handier and sufficient for my needs. Did a quick trim and edged my yard and decided I made the right decision.

I just bought a cordless Ryobi sawzall (18V Brushless) and tried to use it to cut out some seized cam bolts today with a 14tpi metal blade.

I used the 1.3Ah batteries that came with a cheap Ryobi drill that I use around the house and works fine for my Ryobi spotlight and fan too. The batteries were fully charged but both gave up after a few edit: more like less than two minutes. Is this to be expected for these little 1.3Ah batteries?

If so, what battery/s do folks think I should get to tackle this job: 4.0, 6.0, 8.0Ah, etc.?

tempImageEnM46T.png

Last edited:
I just bought a cordless Ryobi sawzall (18V Brushless) and tried to use it to cut out some seized cam bolts today with a 14tpi metal blade.

I used the 1.3Ah batteries that came with a cheap Ryobi drill that I use around the house and works fine for my Ryobi spotlight and fan too. The batteries were fully charged but both gave up after a few edit: more like less than two minutes. Is this to be expected for these little 1.3Ah batteries?

If so, what battery/s do folks think I should get to tackle this job: 4.0, 6.0, 8.0Ah, etc.?

View attachment 3111359
I have had good results with the 4 ah batteries. Get them when they run a sale around a holiday (just had a 2 pack with hybrid fan for $99 for Labor Day). Used a few times for pruning and cutting a pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom