Builds My Holley Sniper EFI kit install into my 1978 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Try Mosley Motors or Redline.

@FJ60Cam

Hello everyone. Will this work on a 69 1F engine ? If yes does anyone have a link to a full ready to DIY kit ? If not who in Arizona can do this for me ?

Check out Redline Landcruisers. Also Tojoman on ebay has kits.

Hello everyone. Will this work on a 69 1F engine ? If yes does anyone have a link to a full ready to DIY kit ? If not who in Arizona can do this for me ?

You are in luck in several ways…

This will work in a 69. It will be a tighter fit (than a 75+) with the booster/master cylinder/firewall rib but all have made it work so far. We do have a complete kit, though I try not push them here in the tech sections.

If you want to hand it off to a competent shop, talk to Scott Higgins @ Avid Cruisers (if you’re reading this from the future, the name has changed to Higgys AZ). They are in Mesa. He’s done several of these and also happens to be a great dude: It's not the Destination It's how you get there - https://avidcruisers.com/

Last edited:
You are in luck in several ways…

This will work in a 69. It will be a tighter fit (than a 75+) with the booster/master cylinder/firewall rib but all have made it work so far. We do have a complete kit, though I try not push them here in the tech sections.

If you want to hand it off to a competent shop, talk to Scott Higgins @ Avid Cruisers (if you’re reading this from the future, the name has changed to Higgys AZ). They are in Mesa. He’s done several of these and also happens to be a great dude: It's not the Destination It's how you get there - https://avidcruisers.com/
I have talk to him in the past. I will get with him and buy the kit from you. Thank you guys

Yes I ran it on my 1F for 3 years or more until I switched the same unit to a 2F. It ran great

Yes I ran it on my 1F for 3 years or more until I switched the same unit to a 2F. It ran great
How did the 1F run with it? Was it worth it with the 3 speed transmission? Or should I just save up some more and do a swap on it. Honestly I can’t afford a V8 swap. But I would like to drive it some more and the way it runs now is just not cutting it for me.

How did the 1F run with it? Was it worth it with the 3 speed transmission? Or should I just save up some more and do a swap on it. Honestly I can’t afford a V8 swap. But I would like to drive it some more and the way it runs now is just not cutting it for me.
I would start a new thread detailing your issues and maybe you can get them sorted and running well before doing an efi swap. Probably won’t be too happy spending $2000+ and finding out you still have other issues.

With that; my 1970 is still 1F, 3 on the tree and I did the sniper conversion. It is awesome. Cold and hot starts are immediate, smooth idle, great acceleration and cruising. I do not regret it at all. I did make sure mine was in as good of running shape as possible before the conversion. Good compression, valves adjusted in spec, proper functioning ignition system and correct timing, no vacuum leaks.

It's a night and day difference. The sniper runs very smooth and no hot start problem, seems to have more power all thru the gears. Totally worth the investment in my opinion and it's not that hard to install.

I would start a new thread detailing your issues and maybe you can get them sorted and running well before doing an efi swap. Probably won’t be too happy spending $2000+ and finding out you still have other issues.

With that; my 1970 is still 1F, 3 on the tree and I did the sniper conversion. It is awesome. Cold and hot starts are immediate, smooth idle, great acceleration and cruising. I do not regret it at all. I did make sure mine was in as good of running shape as possible before the conversion. Good compression, valves adjusted in spec, proper functioning ignition system and correct timing, no vacuum leaks.
Well mine here in the city runs just fine. It goes up to 60 mph on a straight road the only issue here is the smell lol. My biggest issue is when I take it off roading. In long steep upgrades it dies on me half way thru and it’s scary haha. I don’t think I have any vacuum leaks because my 4 low works with vacuum and it works just fine.

It's a night and day difference. The sniper runs very smooth and no hot start problem, seems to have more power all thru the gears. Totally worth the investment in my opinion and it's not that hard to install.
See now something like this is what I wanted to hear. This definitely makes me want to do it.

Well mine here in the city runs just fine. It goes up to 60 mph on a straight road the only issue here is the smell lol. My biggest issue is when I take it off roading. In long steep upgrades it dies on me half way thru and it’s scary haha. I don’t think I have any vacuum leaks because my 4 low works with vacuum and it works just fine.

Smell. Put a catalytic converter on it.

It should never die. You have some type of fuel starvation issue.

4 Low vacuum has nothing to do with an intake vacuum leak.

Wait, are you running a carb or Sniper?

Smell. Put a catalytic converter on it.

It should never die. You have some type of fuel starvation issue.

4 Low vacuum has nothing to do with an intake vacuum leak.

Wait, are you running a carb or Sniper?
I’m running stock carb and trying to see if the sniper is worth it. Enough to solve all those issues with out doing an engine swap. Because I can’t afford abs engine swap right now but I can afford a sniper kit.

I’m running stock carb and trying to see if the sniper is worth it. Enough to solve all those issues with out doing an engine swap. Because I can’t afford abs engine swap right now but I can afford a sniper kit.

Do a compression test on your 1F. If it comes back in spec then I think it absolutely is worth it.

Do a compression test on your 1F. If it comes back in spec then I think it absolutely is worth it.
Because I do Have a full drive train out of a 94 80 series engine and transmission but idk what would be better the sniper kit or try to see if any one wants to do tht swap or if it’s even possible or the cost of the swap lol. What top speed did you get with your F series with the sniper ?

Because I do Have a full drive train out of a 94 80 series engine and transmission but idk what would be better the sniper kit or try to see if any one wants to do tht swap or if it’s even possible or the cost of the swap lol. What top speed did you get with your F series with the sniper ?

Top speed is dictated by RPM not what motor you have in it.

3 speed and 4 speed have the same 1:1 final ratio.

With the 4.11 differentials and 3 speed you keep the Cruise RPMs under 3000 rpm and it will be fine. Taller tires help lower that ratio too.

With 33x10.5x15 with the F engine and 3 speed I could do 70 at about 3000 rpm with more to go. The same with the 4 speed and 2F engine.

With 33x10.5x15 with the F engine and 3 speed I could do 70 at about 3000 rpm with more to go. The same with the 4 speed and 2F engine.
Totally fine with those speeds And im sure the sniper kit plus install it’s gonna be cheaper than what any mechanic will charge me to do tht swap. Thx for all the great info guys

I'm getting ready to install a 4 barrel Sniper on my '78 40 with a newer crate 350 motor. I've got the Sniper unit already purchased but need to finish getting all of the parts to complete the "kit". Plan right now is to run a Walbro 394 pump with the Napa metal pre and post fuel filters specified by Holley.

From the research I've done I'm under the impression I can just run new 3/8" EFI fuel line from the tank and I should have a factory port for the return line as well? And for anyone who's installed this unit on a 350 setup, did direct AN fittings into the Sniper unit work ok and how much fuel line did you end up needing? I've looked at running Gates Barricade hose unless the stuff from Earl's is superior and preferred.

I used Earl’s brand fittings (Holley is their parent company) for the connections to fuel rail and fuel pump. Short lengths of Aeroquip hose at tank and engine end with 3/8 aluminum hard line in between. Race sanctioned cars are limited to how much fuel hose can be used and require mostly hard line. I thought that sounded like a rule that made sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom