Builds My Holley Sniper EFI kit install into my 1978 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
Hello all...
Last June I installed an AFI tbi kit. It was the complete kit with electronically controlled dizzy. It was not the self learning kit. It was a lot of work to get installed but was absolutely wonderful once it was up and running. Fast forward to early December and it started giving me fits. Basically got progressively worse with backfiring, loss of power, and crappy performance.
Frustrated, I yanked it all out and sent it into AFI for testing and repairs. They discovered that the throttle position sensor, dizzy pick up, and a connector was bad, They replaced everything and it tested as new. I paid labor and they sent it back looking great.
However....
While waiting for the AFI kit I just said F it, and went with the Holey Sniper efi kit.
It's the 2300 2 barrel self learning kit.
I really liked the idea of the self learning, and after watching tons of videos I was convinced.
I purchased the full kit with fuel sub kit.
Also purchased an hei distributor with integrated coil.
I began the install recently and wanted to share my experience, thoughts, and impressions.
So here we go...

Unboxing...

Everything was packaged extremely well. Confidence inspiring beginning.

Last edited:
First thing I needed to figure out was the adapter plate.
I know Downey sells a kit with several parts. After looking around I decided to go with a Mr Gaskett 1937 adapter. It's about 25 bucks, but needs to be modified in the mounting hole location. Basically drill 4 holes right next to the existing ones.
Once complete it will bolt right on.
I opened up the holes a bit more after these pics were taken. You have to be careful and allow the shoulder for the bolt to remain after drilling. The hole needs to be big enough for an 8mm bolt.

20190217_213648.jpg
20190217_213847.jpg

Subscribed.

I feared the reason I had issues with the previous kit was the heat coming off the stock exhaust manifold.
So this time I built a custom heat shield.
The original was long gone...
That along with using the stock riser (didn't use it on the last kit) should keep the heat to a minimum.
I did some measuring for the rough shape and decided on a 15 x 7 18 gauge sheet should get me started.
I made the initial shape, measured the riser and added the cut out for it. Then went back and forth measuring and cutting until it was perfect. Once the cuts were made I painted it with 2000 degree manifold paint, then sandwiched it in between two layers of stick on heat shield.

20190217_133503.jpg

20190217_152802.jpg

20190217_152811.jpg

20190217_160613.jpg

20190217_163707.jpg

Next I test fit the throttle body, and checked for clearances. Everything lined up perfectly.
No interference with the throttle linkage, and it all bolted nice and tight. I did have to use longer bolts to mount the tbi than the ones in the pic that are standing up through the adapter.

20190218_111553.jpg
20190218_112045.jpg

Sub'd. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this goes for you. I'm especially curious in how the unit responds after the initial set up and how the system changes during the learning stages.

Next up was deciding on fuel lines.
I want to end up with AN 6 hard lines that wrap around the valve cover similar to OEM with a carb.
But for now, I routed the fuel hose in a similar manner (around the front of the valve cover) and connected directly to the TB. I purchased two AN6 connectors (a 45 degree and a 90 degree) to get better angles for the fuel lines coming off of the TB. The connectors that come with the kit, are just straight and if used, would bring the fuel lines down directly towards the manifold, which would then kink the lines a bit more than I would like.
I used the brackets that hold the hard lines for the carb to stabilize the fuel hose. (basically doing the same job)
So until I get the hard lines installed, this setup should work just fine.

I also went ahead and installed the 3.5 inch LCD screen that comes with the kit. I figure I will probably use it for a while until the system stops learning. I have read this takes a while so having this screen handy is recommended. I decided to mount it in a location that's easy to reach and view.

And don't worry, I didn't modify the dash or pads in any way... :) (double sided tape)

Next up was the temp sensor and o2 sensor.
The temp sensor has a 3/8 npt thread so I needed to get an adapter. Thankfully I have a great resource here in Salem Oregon that has about every adapter imaginable.
I will need to reinstall the original temp sensor soon.
The O2 sensor was plug and play since I already had a bung installed.

20190220_093234.jpg
20190220_093141.jpg

It`s looking good 🍺 I mounted the 3.5" display in the same spot. After about 6 months of use the only problem I have had was the 3.5" display started jumping around to different screens like it was shorting out I sent Holley an Tech request question and their response was a simple what is your shipping address so we can send you a new display. So seems like they have good support.
JP

It looks like service parts are available for everything but the injectors. If one of them fails, what's the repair? Sending the whole unit in??

It looks like service parts are available for everything but the injectors. If one of them fails, what's the repair? Sending the whole unit in??
As far as I understand, yes if under warranty you send the unit in.

It`s looking good 🍺 I mounted the 3.5" display in the same spot. After about 6 months of use the only problem I have had was the 3.5" display started jumping around to different screens like it was shorting out I sent Holley an Tech request question and their response was a simple what is your shipping address so we can send you a new display. So seems like they have good support.
JP
What motor do you have mtboatman?
How long did the ‘learning’ phase last?
Do you still use the display?
Are you happy with the performance?
What did you have prior to the sniper?

Next item up was the Distributor.
I purchased a 65k HEI Distributor with built in coil. It's supposed to work very well with this TBI system.
It has two wires coming of of it. Real simple installation. The red wire on the Dizzy connects to the red and white switched power wire on the TBI harness. Then the Green wire on the dizzy connects to the yellow wire on the TBI harness. (tach output)

As far as physical installation of the dizzy.
A bit of a pain in the arse. Its a big cap dizzy so you need to make room for it. First, you have to remove one of the aft mounting bolts that hold the heater pipe that runs just behind the dizzy. This includes cutting the mounting bolt off. Once cut off, the heater pipe is simply tilted up on one axis and out of the way. But that's not enough... You then have to "dent" the panel that covers the lifters to create the final clearance needed. It's a very small amount so you don't need to go crazy.
You know it's good when the dizzy seats itself down far enough that you can no longer see the rubber seal that goes into the block.
Now... once you know you have clearance Clarence, you then need to get the timing lined up. So I turned the engine to the BB on the flywheel, rotated the rotor in the dizzy to the #4 cyl, then rotated the oil pump slot with a long flat tip screwdriver to get the dizzy and the oil pump in alignment.
Drop the dizzy in, test, drop again, test until it seats.

Once it seats, you can semi bolt it down, and move on to the next step.

As far as I understand, yes if under warranty you send the unit in.

FWIW, out of warranty you'd need to send it in also. Injectors and ECUs aren't available separately, as far as I know. All the rest of the parts are available off- the-shelf.

Up next, run and plug in the wires.
This is what makes this kit great. This is all the firewall wire harness mounting needed. One relay and one fuse.

20190223_172614.jpg

This is the only wire harness connection needed. Since I'm not using an ecm controlled dizzy wiring is super simplified.
Here's the connections needed...
Batt pos and neg
Dizzy pos to switched power
Blue wire to fuel pump
Dizzy tach output to yellow tach sensor wire
Pink wire from harness to clean 12v switched. This needs to be clean, meaning no other devices can use the same wire. I used the extra tab right off the back of the fuse box.
Plug in water temp sensor
Plug in o2 sensor
Plug in harness
Oh and of course the new spark plug wires.

This pic shows the main harness connection.

20190223_173227.jpg

Nice. Diving into this project tomorrow....
Will you add your pics and experience here as you do it? I’m super curious about the sniper. Considering it seriously.

Will you add your pics and experience here as you do it? I’m super curious about the sniper. Considering it seriously.

Check out Warthog v 4.4 thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom