My headliner plan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I bought my pig the old headliner was mostly torn out. I am going to tear the rest off and scrape all of the crap off of my roof. I don't want to put a stock headliner back in, and have to get new window weatherstripping. I have been reading up on headliner replacement and I have been reading up on sound deadening. I plan on putting some quietcrap/second skin on the interior floor and panels. my idea for the headliner is to use some of this.McMaster-Carr

I read a thread where someone put it on their floor and thought it worked great. I plan on putting it on the ceiling/interior roof and then spraying some adhesive and putting some headliner fabric over it.

I want to use the 1" material because the ribs of the roof are about 1". This way I can make everything up there flush. I think I may put some sort of overhead interior light in the rear cargo area.

While reading headliner threads I read about some spray adhesive that sucked, and others that were good. If someone can remind me of the good spray adhesive that would be great.

If anyone has some some better ideas or something I haven't thought about please let me know.

I'm about to do my headliner. After much debate I used some closed cell foam to fill the gaps between the ribs and the roof to keep things tight (my Pig has gently taken two naps so things aren't totally square). I installed QuietCrap and am going to get the upholstery place to put some of their stock insulation up there away from the sides (to avoid any water that finds its way in) and then install the SOR headliner that I already have.

:cheers:

Oh, new winshield/windshield weather stripping and rear cargo weather stripping is going in at the same time.

is QuietCrap superior to dynamat, or are they comparable? i have dynamatted my pig all over the floor, inside the door panels, on the backs of the new interior panels, and am planning on doing the roof too. i want the beast to be shockingly quiet inside. planning on using 3M 90 strength spray adhesive - used it for the jute padding on the floor and the vinyl for the interior door panels. it works far better than any generic cheapo spray adhesive. i think they also make 100, which may be a better idea for something fighting gravity.

It's been a few months since I updated this thread. I took a picture of the material I put on the interior roof, it about an inch thick and is self adhesive. You just peel the backing paper off. There wasn't much headliner in the pig when I got it, so it sounded like a tin can inside. It quited down once I put the material in.

I also put a second interior light in the cargo area like cruiser guy. I picked the light up a few months ago from someone parting out a pig.
interior 012.jpg
interior 011.jpg

I am going to keep my headliner above all of the windows like the D-pillar area. I filled some of the holes in with JB weld and sanded it down. I need to finish sanding and rattle can the lower area.
interior 013.jpg

It's been a few months since I updated this thread. I took a picture of the material I put on the interior roof, it about an inch thick and is self adhesive. You just peel the backing paper off. There wasn't much headliner in the pig when I got it, so it sounded like a tin can inside. It quited down once I put the material in.

I also put a second interior light in the cargo area like cruiser guy. I picked the light up a few months ago from someone parting out a pig.

Where did you buy the 'quitecrap'?

I am trying to get a parts pig from a friend in the next few weeks. My plan is to cut off the roof and turn it up side down. Then use a technique off Pimp my ride, a molded fleese and resin liner with a intergrated dome light. I saw it done on the TV show and they put the car on a roller and did it. If I get it down path I'll be willing to do others for anyone willing to pay for materals and come and get one. Alittle bondo paint are covering will make it nice. I live in Houston

I am trying to get a parts pig from a friend in the next few weeks. My plan is to cut off the roof and turn it up side down. Then use a technique off Pimp my ride, a molded fleese and resin liner with a intergrated dome light. I saw it done on the TV show and they put the car on a roller and did it. If I get it down path I'll be willing to do others for anyone willing to pay for materals and come and get one. Alittle bondo paint are covering will make it nice. I live in Houston

I tried doing this with my parts pig roof, cut it off just like you are going to. It didn't go so well but then again this was my first attempt at it. Look froward to seeing what you come up with.

I have done pretty much the same thing as snobored and I am just waiting to see what I can come up with someday. I really dislike the old headliner. When I got mine it still had most of it and I ripped it with my rifle multiple times...

I'm about to do my headliner. After much debate I used some closed cell foam to fill the gaps between the ribs and the roof to keep things tight (my Pig has gently taken two naps so things aren't totally square). I installed Quiet**** and am going to get the upholstery place to put some of their stock insulation up there away from the sides (to avoid any water that finds its way in) and then install the SOR headliner that I already have.

:cheers:

Oh, new winshield/windshield weather stripping and rear cargo weather stripping is going in at the same time.

I like this idea quite a bit. I think maybe a challenge will be to install the headline without any wrinkles. Would you still be able to wrap the headline around the bows? or would you have to adhere the headliner to the sound deadining material with an adhesive? if so i think it would be tough to keep the wrinkles out:p

Im really interested in working up a healiner replacement plan that doesnt involve replacing the windshield/rear cargo weather stripping. Any ideas?

Lee

i have no idea what it is or where it came from but this is whats in my 55
Aug 10 038.jpg
Aug 10.jpg

My neighbor does custom "hot rod" upholstery work. He helped me with the headliner in my 45. We put Dynamat on the roof as a sound deadner.Then to avoid the possible wrinkles of installing the headlinder on the Dynamat, he made a plastic liner, glued the liner to the plastic and installed the plastic on the Dynamat. It worked great! The 45 is a SB so the top is a lot smaller.
FJ55 337.jpg
FJ55 336.jpg

Nocents, thats some excellent work, I dont see any wrinkles at all. To review, the method was

1) install dynamat
2) separately, adhere plastic liner to SOR headliner (to prevent wrinkling)
3) adhere plastic liner backing to dynamat.

Do you have any close up pictures showing the transition of the headliner to the sides (cargo/windshield weatherstripping and pillars)? It almost looks like a strip of dynamat was use but was cut so as to taper from the roof plane to the sides.

thanks for this!

Lee

Nocents, thats some excellent work, I dont see any wrinkles at all. To review, the method was

1) install dynamat

Do you have any close up pictures showing the transition of the headliner to the sides (cargo/windshield weatherstripping and pillars)? It almost looks like a strip of dynamat was use but was cut so as to taper from the roof plane to the sides.

thanks for this!

Lee

It is not so much that the plastic sheet is glued to the Dyamat because the roof is so small it is wedged in the shell. The front edge (windshield) has a lip that the headliner tucks under. The rest of the edges are conceled with the carpet (tan in photos) strip that was glued on. It is the thin non-raveling stuff ,like a trunk liner. There are no pillars (the roof is only 3 feet X 5 feet).
The idea is to glue the headliner to a smooth surface (in this case a thin ~ .100 inch thick plastic sheet) and the install this on the rooover the sound deadning material. You could make smaller panels (ie front cab, passanger cab in halfs and rear cargo) and screw the panels to the bows and add a trim strip at the joints.
FJ55 338.jpg
FJ55 339.jpg
FJ55 341.jpg

Thats nice, but a 55 is a whole other animal. Those braces across the roof really complicate things. I added a third when I redid everything and that just made it even more complicated.

I have seen something like this done on a 40 and the fact its just a fiberglass shell is awesome. It really turns out great, even if you use that cheap outdoor carpet, which is what I have seen.

If only 55's didn't have those darn braces... Don't get me wrong it needs it. When I got my truck it didn't have any. It was so loud going down the road. Every bump was like a bass drum.. haha

That would be a good covering, but the 55 is a buger bear. I'm going to pick up the top next weekend working out the detales now

Thats nice, but a 55 is a whole other animal. Those braces across the roof really complicate things. I added a third when I redid everything and that just made it even more complicated.

If only 55's didn't have those darn braces... Don't get me wrong it needs it. When I got my truck it didn't have any. It was so loud going down the road. Every bump was like a bass drum.. haha

The reason I went with sound deadener that was 1" thick was to get around the problems with the braces. I may still use a stock headliner since a used one came with my pig.

1) install dynamat

thanks for this!

Lee

Lee, you want the old headliner from my '55? It's not torn too bad, just dirty and shrunk too much to go in the "right" way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom