Builds My GCC Spec 1HD-FTE Converted FZJ100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FINALLY got a fridge slide. I know, late to the party...

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

Beautiful....looking forward to seeing this!

Congrats on the finished engine swap!
maybe i missed it but did the engine mounts of the FZJ frame line up with the FTE?

Cheers,
Nick

Congrats on the finished engine swap!
maybe i missed it but did the engine mounts of the FZJ frame line up with the FTE?

Cheers,
Nick

Thank you!

Correct, the FZJ frame mounts did indeed line up with the FTE. The frame is identical between the engine variants. However a V8 frame is totally different from the FZJ/FTE frame, even the torsion bars are different.

I put the icing on the cake this week as far as the conversion is concerned. Replaced the “4500 EFI” stickers with the OEM “turbo” stickers for the FTE. Totally digging the colour.

D83A54E3-E12C-49B4-85AB-2C7434702D6A.jpeg

Also my replacement OEM driveshaft arrived from Saudi, courtesy of my parents. This is the OEM manual trans, part time transfer case version. Highway vibrations definitely reduced.

3D2CCCBA-CF10-4E06-9233-BFF0578CB341.jpeg

So I saw the conversion today and I was privileged to drive the truck. WOW!

I've seen Nick's work before but this is a whole new level! The attention to detail is like nothing I've ever seen in a conversion. I've seen other engine swaps and there is always the homemade bracket and zip ties etc. The truck is new! Its factory, and it's completely thought through, tested and validated. Whoooo Boy - amazing to see! Pictures do not capture the incredible fit up. It is flawless!

Not only is the engine compartment new but the interior is beautiful too. The swap from his JDM donor is factory including heated leather. Offered to trade my completely built LX450. Nick was like "meh" :)

I was tossed the keys which was a surprise! If it was mine no one else would touch it.

I've had factory and turbo charged toyota diesels and they do not compare to this engine. The engine is tuned to the truck and with the manual tranny it was like driving a car! I've heard people wanting to swap gear sets to compensate for 5th but I'm not sure why you'd bother. Engine torque curve is fantastic! Ticking over at 80 kmh on an uphill climb, I gently pushed the throttle and it started pulling and before I knew it I was doing 120 kmh with no gear change and rev's barely climbed - uphill! I don't think there's any turbo lag. Dead quiet.

Shifting was a breeze, no rattle, not hum, no vibes, just an easy move from gear to gear. Beautiful.

Great experience! I have lots of envy!

Thanks Nick - again what a privilege

Last edited:
Hey gnarlynick2072, I found your build thread while searching for early steering rack compatibility, in post #84 you mentioned ordering a US spec 44250-60050 in place of the 44250 60060, if I'm reading your post properly these two part numbers are interchangeable? I'm finally starting to work on my lhd hdj100 and first on the list is the leaking steering rack. Awesome build btw!

Hey gnarlynick2072, I found your build thread while searching for early steering rack compatibility, in post #84 you mentioned ordering a US spec 44250-60050 in place of the 44250 60060, if I'm reading your post properly these two part numbers are interchangeable? I'm finally starting to work on my lhd hdj100 and first on the list is the leaking steering rack. Awesome build btw!

I ended up using the US spec rack, and as far as I can tell it's working fine. The only difference is the oil valve and I honestly don't know the actual engineering difference. I contacted several steering rack reman shops in Aus and they use the racks interchangeably (they were pretty confused when I was trying to convince them that the racks were different lol)

Well I've been pretty terrible at keeping this thread updated!!

I took the truck to Moab in May 2023 and it performed to perfection. I'm glad I had some commissioning/testing time after the conversion was completed!!

The drivability of the 1HD-FTE is night and day compared to the 1FZ-FE and MILES ahead of the 1HD-T/FT. I was passing my buddy in his FJ Cruiser on hills, even fully loaded. This motor is a beast.

With the rooftop tent, fully loaded and driving 70+MPH, I was getting between 13-14L/100km. And without the tent I was managing 10.8 L/100km pretty consistently. Pretty amazing getting over 1,100 KM on a fill up haha

FZJ100 3.jpg

FZJ100 4.jpg

FZJ100 5.jpg

FZJ100 6.jpg

The trip to Moab was incredible. I went with a couple buddies, one in an FJ Cruiser, and another that couldn't get his rig in time and ended up renting a Santa Fe.

Shockingly, the Santa Fe performed really well (on the light trails lol).

Here's the most spectacular campsite we stayed at - Taylor Campsite on White Rim Trail.

FZJ100 1.jpg

FZJ100 2.jpg

So Sant Fe did the whole white rim trail? On street tires?

Well I figured out why my pump wasn’t getting good prime…

Noticed the motor had a leak the other day. Thought it was an oil leak but managed to trace it back and turns out it’s a diesel leak!

Timing control valve is leaking, apparently it’s quite common. Now I gotta figure out how to get one. It’s Denso P/N 096360-0580.

IMG_2082.jpeg

IMG_2080.jpeg

Tis that season again...

FZJ100 7.jpg

But in other new, injection pump leak is now fixed!

Got a new timing control valve from a Denso supplier in BC (which was more money than I ever expected this to cost...)

Getting access to the timing control valve was relatively straight forward. Just took some patience. Just had to remove the support bracket at the injection connections which has around 7 thousand bolts attached to it. Then just slid it towards the right and presto - plenty of room.

FZJ100 8.jpg

Here's the leaky control valve. It would literally fill the inside of the connector with diesel which also managed to push out the waster proof orange seals on the other connector.

FZJ100 9.jpg

Valve replaced but definitely need to fix the seals on the connector before camping season next year!

FZJ100 10.jpg

Replacing the timing control valve definitely had an effect on my pump prime! The hand primer gets stiff very quickly and doesn't lose prime like it would before. What a relief... For everyone with an FTE, I would say this is a rather expensive but necessary PM item, especially since it's covered up by the sound insulator so it'll take a while before you'll see the leak. Took 6+ months of mine running and leaking before I discovered mine. The injection pump sound insulator was SOAKED with diesel.

Anyways... back to the 80. :)

FZJ100 11.jpg

The pump is supposed to get calibrated when changing the TCV valve. Wait to see how much that costs, if you think the valve is expensive and how few people can do this with the exotic type of pump the FTE uses. It works without doing it, but it is better after it.
BTW, at 450k, my pump was delivering about 80-85% fuel/pressure.

This is a very cool and absolutely useless for the home mechanic deep dive into the pump schematics and adjustment procedures 1HD-FTE Fuel Pump shematics + testplan.pdf

I put the icing on the cake this week as far as the conversion is concerned. Replaced the “4500 EFI” stickers with the OEM “turbo” stickers for the FTE. Totally digging the colour.

View attachment 3281135
Love what you did there! Cherry 🍒 on top with the oem decals
IMG_0758.jpeg

The pump is supposed to get calibrated when changing the TCV valve. Wait to see how much that costs, if you think the valve is expensive and how few people can do this with the exotic type of pump the FTE uses. It works without doing it, but it is better after it.
BTW, at 450k, my pump was delivering about 80-85% fuel/pressure.

This is a very cool and absolutely useless for the home mechanic deep dive into the pump schematics and adjustment procedures 1HD-FTE Fuel Pump shematics + testplan.pdf

So I didn’t end up calibrating the pump. I called a Denso diesel IP rebuilder and he said it’s not necessary. Which makes sense because the pump is electronically controlled…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom