My FJ62 engine went kaput on me...she needs a heart transplant SoCal (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a reputable engine re-builder in SoCal...so far I got a quote for removal, rebuild and install...for $9000. Yikes.
Any recommendations out there. This was our daily driver.

Even in Az the rebuild on a short block 2F was 3800.00. We dropped another grand or so in accessories like water pump, fuel pump hoses, fuel pump, motor mounts, fluids, etc. I would imagine they charge you about 30~40 hours at a Cal shop rate of 150.00.
Your right at about 9000.00.

If you were here around the Bay area I could send you to a machine shop in Oakley which I have used and our shop trusted for so many years. If you can pull out the engine it will help cut the cost down and put the money towards other stuff.

@lcwizard it would be more like $200 or more around Orange county.:bang:

Thanks guys...I am thinking about pulling it myself. Its been doing really good, so it caught me a bit unaware and monetarily unaware....
The shop had a line on a used engine, with about 160,000 miles. they said installed for $6000.
So now Im thinking...

That figure is not out of line. Rebuild of a 3FE is gonna be $4-5K, depending on what's done. R&R the engine, plus finding a shop willing to take the responsibility for break-in new motor will easily double that.

There are some good rebuilders around Los Angeles, but you'd have to Remove/Replace the engine yourself or have it done, then transport.

Martin Davidson Automotive, in Reseda, knows Land Cruisers well.

There's also the place that does TLC4x4 engine work that @OSS knows and I can never remember, in Sierra Madre area?

Reach out to Georg (@orangefj45 ) with Valley Hybrids up in Stockton. He should be able to -
-Give you a realistic idea on prices

-Supply a rebuilt exchange long block (this way, you know it was built by someone who knows THESE motors)

-Refer you to a reputable shop in your area

-Possibly even facilitate shipping of your Cruiser to get it up to his shop for repairs

Among other things...

Last time I heard, Georg had a spare lowish mileage motor pulled from a 62. He was asking around $1500ish? That's a cheaper alternative if a full rebuild is not in your budget.

Looking for a reputable engine re-builder in SoCal...so far I got a quote for removal, rebuild and install...for $9000. Yikes.
Any recommendations out there. This was our daily driver.
Last time I heard, Georg had a spare lowish mileage motor pulled from a 62. He was asking around $1500ish? That's a cheaper alternative if a full rebuild is not in your budget.
I just removed a 3FE with auto trans from my '89 cruiser. It was running good when it came out. Has an oil leak @ the pan that should be easily fixed before you put it back in. It has 187,000 on it. $ 1500.00 and you pay for shipping, which should be a couple of hundred to SoCal from Phoenix. Let me know.

Had it over to TopLine...good reputation from some local OC guys. They said bottom end damage..It is making a god forsaken banging sound from the bottom of the block.
Got to Craigslist in Phoenix. Under auto parts look for 3FE motor and trans. Reply to the post and I will receive it on my email.

I was quoted $7000 for a top
of the line rebuild for a 2F by a shop that's done a lot of them. They don't do partial fixes. Complete rebuild or nothing. They do machine shop work for local Toyota dealers too.

Bob's Automotive Machine Shop
(La Crescenta or Glendale CA - can't recall)
They rebuilt my 2F cylinder head for me

I just removed a 3FE with auto trans from my '89 cruiser. It was running good when it came out. Has an oil leak @ the pan that should be easily fixed before you put it back in. It has 187,000 on it. $ 1500.00 and you pay for shipping, which should be a couple of hundred to SoCal from Phoenix. Let me know.
Is this motor still available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom