Builds My first FZJ80 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking more like a motor every time! Not pictured, but i replaced more vaccuum hoses and put the throttle body on.
received_576261444550551.jpeg

Last edited:
More progress- I got the blue hub fan clutch and a/c compressor on. Still need things, which I have an order from Partsoq coming in. Getting closer to being able to fire it up.
I also started the body work on the roof. What a pain it is trying to re-shape the end of the raised section. It won' be perfect as this is this is a wheeler and will get scratched and dented, but its going to look better than it did.
On the roof rack holes, I used steel stik to start. On the rails in the middle (or where they once were), i am going to be using fiberglass reinforced putty.

20230326_142237.jpg

Starting to get rid of the rot. Drivers side quarter panel chop is done. Still gotta grind down more welds and apply bondo. Little harbor freight flux core welder put in some work today. It's not perfect, this is a trail rig-but it'll keep water out at least. Also need to cut a new hole for the sunroof drain.
20230521_104700.jpg

20230521_104704.jpg

20230521_174055.jpg
20230521_174115.jpg

Overdue for an update!
I have ordered:
Exhaust manifolds
Grill, with hardware.
Front core support bolt set from Wits End
Derale power steering cooler
.....and a few more things.
Still need a few more things such as the smaller hose from the power steering reservoir down, and to get new rubber lines from the trans cooler to the metal lines.
Coolant in motor still needs to be flushed, I have held off from installing the new thermostat till then. Radiator may or may not need to be replaced. It's all just small stuff mechanical wise from here on out.
New window, door seals and trim will be next. Finish up body work then the Raptor Liner.
Also, upper and lower tailgates are going to be replaced if I can source some nicer ones.

It's been over a year, but she finally fired up yesterday with the "new" motor. Only ran it for a few times for 5-10 min each to check different things. Gonna do an oil change, and make sure the remainder of the wiring harness is plugged in. She ran rough, but with a few different things not 100% i kind of expected that.
As far as the transmission goes, it's going to need to be topped off as the rig barely moves. Hoping it just needs to be topped off on fluid. If not, the seller said he would refund me if it does not work.
Still a ways to go, but a ton of progress has been made.
20230820_151725.jpg

Got the front end put back together.
20230917_135640.jpg

As for the transmission issue, it was bone dry. Topped it off and no problems moving it around. Havent been able to take a spin around the block because of a power steering issue. That's one thing I don't have patience with at the moment. My buddy just picked up a 4th Gen 4Runner, so i am moving at a decent pace in order to get ready so i can go wheeling with him soon.
Also noticed what seems to be a pretty decent leak coming from the rear diff, which looks to be a pinion seal.

Got the 4x4 Labs front bumper put back on. The winch wasn't working so I took apart the solenoid control box and inspected it. Ended up ordering a new box from Amazon which I am waiting on. I pulled out a few feet of line when i went to test the winch. So at this point i may pull it all out, and switch to synthetic line.
Transmission now did barely move in drive. Reverse and low gear was fine. Got codes P0753 and P0758 which are shift solenoid a & b. The person I got the transmission from originally, gave me another transmission free of charge. Happened to also have a t case still bolted on too, so i guess I have a spare now (which i may end up refreshing and putting in Marlin Crawler low range gears)
Plan is to change out the valve body and see if that solves the problem....
Also picked up upper/lower tailgates in better shape.
20231008_183256.jpg
20231008_183232.jpg

I swapped out the solenoids from the transmission pictured above, and put them into the one that's in the rig. The codes went away, but still having problems in drive. I am wondering if it is worth it to now swap transmissions again....

I had the mechanic shop fix a few things, and got her towed back home, as i still need to have a transmission shop diagnose and fix it.
In the meantime, i got the raptor liner on. The color is sepia brown. All the body work is complete, and there are no more rot holes. I must say ive never seen it look better. I know raptor liner isn't everyones cup of tea, but it holds well up against branches and such.
IMG_20231104_183213_499.jpg
20231105_170100.jpg
20231106_073518.jpg

With everything under the hood good to go, i was still confused as to why i was overheating. I talked to my mechanic and we determined it to be the head gasket. I don't have the money to spend on that repair, so I am going to go with the blue devil sealer. The person who i brought the motor from most likely had no idea, as he didn't even run the engine long enough to confirm.
As far as the transmission issues, I am going to swap in another one that I have.

With everything under the hood good to go, i was still confused as to why i was overheating. I talked to my mechanic and we determined it to be the head gasket. I don't have the money to spend on that repair, so I am going to go with the blue devil sealer. The person who i brought the motor from most likely had no idea, as he didn't even run the engine long enough to confirm.
As far as the transmission issues, I am going to swap in another one that I have.
What tests did he perform to tell you it's HG?

We've been seeing a lot of mechanics that are saying it, but not "properly" diagnosing.

Don't just dump crap in it because someone thinks it a HG. They need data to back it up.

What tests did he perform to tell you it's HG?

We've been seeing a lot of mechanics that are saying it, but not "properly" diagnosing.

Don't just dump crap in it because someone thinks it a HG. They need data to back it up.
No tests due to current financial situation. I explained to him what I had done to the motor since putting it in, and the overheating symptoms I was experiencing. Next I showed him a video i took this morning of a consistant cloud of Exhaust pouring out of the tailpipe, that did not go away once she was well above warm. I did smell some coolant. My temperature has been going into the red with everything i've checked since realizing my heat wasn't working (bypassing heater core, swapping thermostats, purging air out of the system etc). Lastly, it's a motor that came out of a rig that was brought for parts. It's possible it had a head gasket issue to begin with, as to why whoever sold it for parts did so.

Well, i'm back in Tucson for good. Been here about 2 and a half weeks or so. I have my Duramax out here so far. The 80 should be picked up hopefully tomorrow, and will be on it's way! A good number of MUD members in Arizona, so I shouldn't have a problem getting the headgasket and transmission done out here. I've been itching to wheel, so i made do with what i've got for now.
20240317_145122.jpg

Well, i'm back in Tucson for good. Been here about 2 and a half weeks or so. I have my Duramax out here so far. The 80 should be picked up hopefully tomorrow, and will be on it's way! A good number of MUD members in Arizona, so I shouldn't have a problem getting the headgasket and transmission done out here. I've been itching to wheel, so i made do with what i've got for now.
View attachment 3586636
I would post in the clubhouse section under the Copper State Cruisers area asking for references in Tucson or have it rerouted to @Cruiserhiggs in Mesa and have him do the work. He did/does the major work on my 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom