Builds My first FZJ80 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the rear bumper on. It was a little tricky as it still needs some final adjustments.

20210718_144643.jpg

Went up to AOAA in PA last weekend. Had an excellent time, made it home in one piece. I was originally going to tow it up, but my Silverado's head gaskets went...fck me right...
Met up with my buddy in his WJ. Also a Wrangler came. Showed them how an 80 gets it done ;) Needless to say they were jealous. Tried to stay out of the mud, but sometimes you have no choice when there's no bypass...
Think she's due for a birfield service soon. And a new front driveshaft.....does anyone know how to count the mileage by accessing ECM/PCM (is it stored as memory) or am I just guessing that I have a little over 300k 🤷‍♂️

20210814_114048.jpg
20210814_130919.jpg
20210814_164500.jpg
20210815_092320.jpg
20210814_165030.jpg

Got a winch mounted finally. I do not like the roller fairlead that comes with it as it looks too ugly on the front bumper, so i'll probaly go with the harbor freight one.
20210917_200152.jpg

Now for the not so good update. The trans is starting to slowly lose reverse, and the motor burns oil if sitting for a few weeks. With the motor having over 300k, i am expecting it to be getting pretty tired. I am thinking about tearing the truck apart and going through/replacing what needs attention. However, the body- original michigan rig is not perfect (even though i painted most of it), and would like to build a cleaner truck. I'd swap the body but do not have the time or space.
I might throw it up online and see if there is any interest, then track down a clean project to swap over bumpers.

Got a winch mounted finally. I do not like the roller fairlead that comes with it as it looks too ugly on the front bumper, so i'll probaly go with the harbor freight one.
View attachment 2799945
Now for the not so good update. The trans is starting to slowly lose reverse, and the motor burns oil if sitting for a few weeks. With the motor having over 300k, i am expecting it to be getting pretty tired. I am thinking about tearing the truck apart and going through/replacing what needs attention. However, the body- original michigan rig is not perfect (even though i painted most of it), and would like to build a cleaner truck. I'd swap the body but do not have the time or space.
I might throw it up online and see if there is any interest, then track down a clean project to swap over bumpers.
Check your cables for adjustment on the transmission.

If it burns oil "after sitting a few weeks", the indicates valves seals. You COULD pull the VC, the cams, and do the valve seals in-situ if you know what you're doing.

Spray some Fluid Film on it and drive the heck out of it!

Did some thinking lately, and decided this 80 is going to be a dedicated trail rig. I will get a 2nd one down the road that will be more of an generic offroad/camping rig.
Sold my 4" Flexi Coils to another MUD member this morning, and ordered some Ironman 6" coils. Being this is a trail rig, I won't lose my mind over the little bit of rot it has.

Did some thinking lately, and decided this 80 is going to be a dedicated trail rig. I will get a 2nd one down the road that will be more of an generic offroad/camping rig.
Sold my 4" Flexi Coils to another MUD member this morning, and ordered some Ironman 6" coils. Being this is a trail rig, I won't lose my mind over the little bit of rot it has.
Buying a second 80?? You’ve already lost your mind.

Mind sharing some pictures of the rust? (forgive my impudence... but with you living in AZ... I wonder if you know what a rusty rig looks like :hillbilly:)

Mind sharing some pictures of the rust? (forgive my impudence... but with you living in AZ... I wonder if you know what a rusty rig looks like :hillbilly:)
I'm originally from NY, where I am at this moment, so the cruiser's rust isnt bad, given that it came from MI. Frame is fine, just has some rot on the rockers and rear lower quarter panels. I guarantee you won't find rot or major rust on ANY Arizona rig.

I'm originally from NY, where I am at this moment, so the cruiser's rust isnt bad, given that it came from MI. Frame is fine, just has some rot on the rockers and rear lower quarter panels. I guarantee you won't find rot or major rust on ANY Arizona rig.

Ah, coming from NY, you have the proper rust credentials. I regret ever doubting you. Ever boatside a rig?

The new lift coils are in. I pulled the rear 30mm coil spacers as I did not want the rear to sit too high, but I kept the 20mm spacers in the front. The front and rear axle need to be adjusted over a little. Test drive went well.
Suddenly the 37"s look too small! I had to completely deflate the tires to get it out of the garage though.....lol.
252082732_270193118228558_8756413566852132931_n.jpg
252115745_589051242514637_6036411786695087526_n.jpg
252846858_249004287280178_7963121516832939630_n.jpg

The new lift coils are in. I pulled the rear 30mm coil spacers as I did not want the rear to sit too high, but I kept the 20mm spacers in the front. The front and rear axle need to be adjusted over a little. Test drive went well.
Suddenly the 37"s look too small! I had to completely deflate the tires to get it out of the garage though.....lol.
View attachment 2829136View attachment 2829137View attachment 2829138
Damn, you are ready for Russian size tires.

View attachment 2829136View attachment 2829137View attachment 2829138
Do you need a ladder to get in that thing? I cannot imagine the butt-puckering tippy tippy's off road.

Looks to be more like 8”-10 of lift. What other changes will you have to make in order to accommodate that height? Drivelines, brake lines, vibrations, etc. Did you get a kit that included shocks?

Looks to be more like 8”-10 of lift. What other changes will you have to make in order to accommodate that height? Drivelines, brake lines, vibrations, etc. Did you get a kit that included shocks?
It sure seems it. However im sure it still needs to settle. I have on extended brake lines from the previous lift. Just purchased the coils. The shocks I also kept, they are Icons for 4-6" lift. I haven't driven it far or on the main roads yet, but will defenitly report back once I do. Still need to do some adjustment on the panhard bars.

Last edited:
Started building a camping/storage area which will be used for camping and such. The back part will be permanent, while the front part will be removable to carry passengers as needed.
255783359_177708327897051_9091241790041295365_n.jpg

256226813_1095793244491300_2075594293521568343_n.jpg

Took her on a test drive around the neighborhood and I gotta say I am not as impressed with the coils as I thought i'd be. It rides rough! These are rated for up to 600lb. I highly doubt these will soften up with just a little more weight. I am going to have to do some flexing with these and find some local areas with ruts to see how I like the offroad capability. If I want to stay at 6, I might look into the dobinsons.

The rear storage/camping set up project is on hold for now untill I do a knuckle job. First time and it doesn't look pretty. Ordered the rebuild kit, but just need a few things from Wits End (inner axel seal driver, nuts + bolts etc). Ordered a new HD tie rod as the tie rod ends were frozen onto the lower knuckle arms on either side. I had to grind them off. Now i gotta drill the holes back out....fun. This is what happens when you got a truck that originally came from Michigan. Now in the Northeast its bad too, but i wash my sh!t every time they put salt on the roads.
20211231_110130.jpg

20220101_123620.jpg

20220101_123629.jpg

20211231_121434.jpg

The PO said he changed the birfs, however why not do the seals and all etc, unless they got bad this quick. I've had this rig for about 3 years now? And it's not a daily, so i can't see how it could be shot. Drivers side was in a little better shape. Birfs look fine, never experienced any clicking at all.
As for the suspension now, the Ironman's are WAY too stiff, so I ordered the new Dobinsons VT 3.5" coils. Only got the rears in, and waiting on the fronts to ship....

I guess keeping this rig isnt so bad after all. I get discouraged from time to time but i can't bring myself to let it go, even when I try. She just needs love more often :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom