Builds My first 80 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back to the drawing board on the exhaust system. Kudos to AutoZone for taking the front Bosal Y-pipe/cat and rear resonator back after so long. After reading various threads since purchasing and my own comparisons there were multiple issues that I didn’t want. The y-pipe bottles down into a smaller pipe than stock and like other threads didn’t line up to the exhaust manifolds. I did like the Tacoma style Cat that was smooth without sharp edges. I recently picked up the Bosal muffler and discovered it has donut gasket grooved flanges like stock when the other Bosal pieces didn’t. The muffler though bottled down to 2 inch possibly even smaller depending how the weld was done. Best I can tell the exhaust system was originally designed as a 2 1/4” system. I plan on returning it as well. I had picked it up from Advance.
5FC641A4-E789-4C38-AF03-E9699C70709F.jpeg

The rear resonator was probably the best piece since it doesn’t have the factory crimp above the rear axle. But the resonator is a different design. Not sure it is much more than expanded pipe. All in all the quality control seemed lacking. I think I want to go stainless out of the motor at least.

Yesterday I took the muffler back to Carquest and they took it back no problem. So, now I know I can order from Advance Auto Parts online if need be and return items to Carquest locally since we don't have an Advance without the hassle of shipping back.

I think I'm going to go with the Magnaflow y-pipe front cat in the end. I did notice there is a Walker, Davico, and Eastern Catalytic brand out there but from the pics I can find don't look as nice. Any other options out there?

Inspected the tie rod ends and all is good except for one boot. Decided to save the tie rod kit for down the road and purchased a replacement boot.
4F8D2F77-36C8-41D2-AD22-C2D11A183A8A.jpeg

Installed the boot tonight. Just used a large screwdriver under the large spring to pop it off. Cleaned out the original grease and added some new grease working it in the joint. Installed the new boot by hand with the springs on by gently turning it over the groove until it popped on and the spring was on straight.
C285F816-CC5A-4079-8C07-43A09D91A4DD.jpeg
90675DB0-4DA5-46A0-9958-FF2670A9EAB1.jpeg
35A18715-4CCD-4976-9A89-BABECA409C9B.jpeg
71723DA0-87D3-420A-8819-E6830FC94386.jpeg
7AB5CE82-066B-4013-AA00-CFD202BCA7E6.jpeg

Decided to pick up a factory fog light switch and some poverty pack visors. I think I will store the oak visors for now.
FA25C05A-93B9-4353-B827-0092853BF24A.jpeg

Picked up some lights that I was originally thinking about using on my LX but now I’m starting to think they might be a good choice for the 80.
80D87769-1EF2-45C4-AEA3-D72C0B412BAB.jpeg

Here you go. They are gray. But, I figured for availability and fitment new well...
6AC16AED-E720-4A3F-A018-424F2EB741F7.jpeg
F9416A86-91A9-4872-B9FC-28FB866DDA83.jpeg
481F6262-25C5-4A41-8261-3702DCF538D0.jpeg
0CC45AD9-EB20-44DC-BA3B-9ABBE5779CBF.jpeg

Heck yeah!

Where did you find the visors and what did they cost you if you don't mind me asking?

Hi,
Nice to see you are still at it.

Can you tell me more about the hood support. Is it designed for an 80 or you retrofit. Also i see the part numbers for the support and holder but what about the grommet? I've just started carrying a stick of wood and hate it.

Thanks
I know the op listed part numbers. But when I did this mod the front and clip are own and available. I used a stock used fj60 rod. Fits perfectly. Might even be the same part number

Back to the drawing board on the exhaust system. Kudos to AutoZone for taking the front Bosal Y-pipe/cat and rear resonator back after so long. After reading various threads since purchasing and my own comparisons there were multiple issues that I didn’t want. The y-pipe bottles down into a smaller pipe than stock and like other threads didn’t line up to the exhaust manifolds. I did like the Tacoma style Cat that was smooth without sharp edges. I recently picked up the Bosal muffler and discovered it has donut gasket grooved flanges like stock when the other Bosal pieces didn’t. The muffler though bottled down to 2 inch possibly even smaller depending how the weld was done. Best I can tell the exhaust system was originally designed as a 2 1/4” system. I plan on returning it as well. I had picked it up from Advance.View attachment 1937467
The rear resonator was probably the best piece since it doesn’t have the factory crimp above the rear axle. But the resonator is a different design. Not sure it is much more than expanded pipe. All in all the quality control seemed lacking. I think I want to go stainless out of the motor at least.
I am not looking forward to having to find an exhaust of good quality when it is time. ACC in Atlanta is making a super nice stainless header for the 80 if you feel like spending a lot of money. But I have no clue what to run from the header back. Good luck with the search

Where did you find the visors and what did they cost you if you don't mind me asking?
Amayama. Don’t have the cost in front of me right now as I had ordered quite a while back.
I know the op listed part numbers. But when I did this mod the front and clip are own and available. I used a stock used fj60 rod. Fits perfectly. Might even be the same part number
All of the parts were available when I ordered from Partsouq. I order from all kinds of places to locate parts. The fog light switch was the most difficult to get.
I am not looking forward to having to find an exhaust of good quality when it is time. ACC in Atlanta is making a super nice stainless header for the 80 if you feel like spending a lot of money. But I have no clue what to run from the header back. Good luck with the search
Im considering starting with something very simple such as the Magnaflow front cat and my turbo muffler behind it with a side exit.

Grabbed a new torque converter seal and another hose for the engine build. I wasn’t happy with how the last torque converter seal went in so I thought I’d try another.
1CBD91B0-6EA7-4901-AD81-246A90E864EA.jpeg

The rear bumper I picked up had the swingout arm threads damaged in shipping so I picked up a tap and die set for it. It turned out to be a 16x2.0mm. Clean up turned out real good.
45C9BE62-5EA5-41E9-83F7-D264A37A6C19.jpeg
19A331A6-074A-4BA0-8CC3-029D09C51167.jpeg
CB9F70B3-554C-493B-9630-4576F46B7454.jpeg

Thanks to @LC4LIFE his custom device holder is relocating to my 80.
555DE7A7-7CB7-4985-8B8B-B405D86F59C3.jpeg

I’m fascinated by how many times I’ve removed an exhaust bolt with corrosion that didn’t break. This 2nd cat bolt started life with a 14mm head and was removed with a 12mm socket.:)
1ED353B3-9156-49AD-9DA5-524A5A5FD314.jpeg
The entire exhaust system is about to come out.

So, rethinking the exhaust as I’ve had several people say that I won’t like a simple side exit behind the converter. Anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Decided to put the exhaust on hold and focus on the OE rims as the wife wants some good winter tires. Planning on probably an A/T tire with a severe snow rating. Maybe a 285 I can use for cross country trips loaded down and it would give me a slight underdrive after the transfer case gears.

Ended up with 2 sets of tires and wheels at first. The MT/Rs shown earlier which I ended up selling and now running the Falken Wildpeak AT/3s in a LT315/75R16. They've surprised me how well they've done all around especially in snow and ice. I have to admit I like a more aggressive look but these have performed well and are wearing well.

I have to pause and give a big shout out to family and friends especially @Saul Abel who have kept this project going doing work I can no longer do on my own. You know who you are and what I've been through these past 5 years. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. RSDSA | 40 years of helping those affected by CRPS - https://rsds.org/ and how it is only getting worse. I'm very grateful for all the support I've had and how the Lord has carried me through it. My desire is to catch this thread up as best I can that It may inspire or help others.

So, what's new? With the help of so many the following mods: installed the bull bar without the winch. Need to get it rebuilt; upgraded the headlights to the 4 lamp poverty pack setup with JW Speaker heated lights. Added fuses for the JDM fan mod working with the A/C; went to a dual battery system using a basic Redarc isolator installing a relabeled defrost switch for dual battery jumping and a dual voltmeter. Moved to an Aisin Black Fan Clutch with service. Replaced burned out IC lights. Had to remove the viscous coupler as it was nearly completely seized. Ended up going with a muffler replacement from Auto Zone for now. Replaced the panhards with Ironman adjustable. Very beefy. Installed a Kaymar rear bumper with Jerry can holder and tire swing. Fit and finish is very nice. Replaced snorkel with newer Safari version. In process of installing Ironman side steps and bars. Wired power for rear fridge/freezer. Picked up some Weathertech mats. Installed Diode Dynamics LEDs in headliner and doors. Installed a new roof rack, side lights, and CVT Bush Company Black Max tent. Rebuilt starter. Enjoyed Moab a couple of years ago.

Current plans: Finish side steps and winch. Upgrade dying OEM audio system. Figure out what I think is a vacuum leak and install supercharger that Jon Bond recently rebuilt. Have experimented with WRX injectors and newer style MAF/aftermarket housing. Have a 2.2 Kw starter to go through. Need to finish heated seats and go on a big trip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom