My Bedliner Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to take out the carpet and bedline the interior of the rig. This wasnt spur of the moment thinking, I have thought long and hard about what to do and how. The reason behind it is simple, I have dogs and kids that like to ride trails and camp. Since this is not my DD the lining project was a no-brainer.

I know there are one or two other threads about their lining projects but maybe someone can get some additional info from my project as well.

Disclaimer: I am not as good a mechanic as others on MUD but I am a darn good detailer when it comes to cosmetics of my rig. So with that in mind, I hope you enjoy the journey.

First is the carpet removal. Here are some pics of the interior before so we can use these as a comparison:
IM005687.jpg
IM005690.jpg
IM005702.jpg

A few more...
IM005697.jpg
IM005698.jpg
IM005694.jpg

I removed the carpet, boxed it up and was able to offer it to a fellow mudder in PA.

Removing the carpet really wasnt that hard. If you decide to do this you need to be patient and remove every panel along the sides of the rig (dash kicker panels, rear quarter panels, door step guards, back seat kick plates) along with the console and center console. I decided to completely remove the gear shifter knobs so that I could clean around everything, plus removing the carpet in one piece required this step.

Be careful removing the panels, there are plastic fasteners you will want to use again. If you are removing your carpet permanently you will have extra ones, about 10-12 clips from the tailgate which will be left over after the carpet renoval.

Once the carpet was removed it was time for cleaning. I used a drill with a wire stripper wheel attachment to remove all of the jute from the cab. This was messy but quick.

Once the jute was removed I vaccumed everything up again including the ceiling (this stuff got everywhere). I then used Simple Green from concentrate to spray on the floors and scrubbed it with a brush for maximum effectiveness. For cleanup, I used a micro-fiber sponge and a bucket which I rinsed repeatedly. I then let it air dry overnight to ensure no moisture would get trapped underneath the sound deadener I was about to use.

Edit: I did want to mention that now would be a good time to change your fuel sock and gasket. I changed mine and it really made a difference on how th engine ran in the driveway. LOL. I couldnt drive it because it has no seats or seat belts back in it yet.

More pics:
IM005720.jpg
IM005721.jpg
IM005722.jpg

Last edited:
A few more...
IM005725.jpg
IM005724.jpg
IM005723.jpg

What I love about the Honda Element's interior is that it does not have carpet -- it does have a plastic mats. It is super easy to clean and dog hair does not adhere to it. You may want to replace the carpet with that type of plastic matting! I need all the insulation I can get, as we sleep in the LC. But, it is obviously not an issue for you.

Google Image Result for http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/HondaElement/Images/LoadFloor.jpg

The next step is insulating with a quasi deadener/insulator. Then 3-4 layers of bedliner product. It will probably be more quiet than warm but at least it wont be smelly like it was.;)

Now it is time for deadening product. Let me say that I have read every single post on Mud and other sites including audio websites, vendor sites, YouTube, etc. and have discovered one thing to be true: everyone has an opinion and is passionate about that opinion when it comes to sound deadening product. So to avoid this thread becoming hijacked or having debates with others who dont share my opinion I will not be naming the product of choice. Sorry. :flipoff2:

This was a tidious process. Tools I used: "J-Roller" from Home Depot $12.00 (expensive but worth it, I actually found myself using the elbow of the roller more than the roller itself), 3M Headliner spray $9.00, box cutter or razor blade and scissors or snips of your choice.

Patience is your key here. I suggest laying your product in the area to be placed first then cut as needed, remove the backing and press in place. Allow extra length because as you push the product into the ridges of the bed the length/width will shrink. Start at one end of the product and move to the other. Use spray adhesive to add to the strength of your installation.

For those that are curious, I used one layer except in the footwells up front, the transmission hump area, and the foot area of the second row. These areas I doubled up. I figured the 3-4 layers of bedliner sprayed on afterwards will add some sound/heat factor too.

Pictures of the task:
IM005726.jpg
IM005727.jpg
IM005728.jpg

Last edited:
More pics...
IM005729.jpg
IM005730.jpg
IM005731.jpg

And some more...
IM005732.jpg
IM005733.jpg
IM005734.jpg

After I finished the cargo area, I went back and pressed down with the roller any areas that looked suspicious and added some additional product in various areas.

The tailgate turned out good dont you think?

Finished to this point....
IM005734.jpg
IM005735.jpg
IM005736.jpg

So Monday it is on to the shop to have the bedliner sprayed in. Since the carpet was brown and the interior is still brown, I am considering asking them to mix the liner brown as well. Any opinions? (Man I am asking for it now...)

Can anyone suggest what I should place into the screw holes prior to having it lined? I thought tape or cork but wanted tos ee what other opinions are out there. :idea:

All in all I would say it took me roughly 30 hours to complete the project to this point. If you are planning something similar I would suggest waiting until temps are above 70-75 degrees for additional adhesion.

Once I start putting the interior back together I will clean and lube all working/moving parts and panels inside and out. I will also take time to paint all of the cargo hardware before it gets bolted back in.

Hopefully Monday I will have some more pics to share!:bounce:

Last edited:
And, it was sunny where you live!:crybaby: Looks good!

And, it was sunny where you live!:crybaby: Looks good!

Sorry man! Yeah it was 85 today. Right now at 8:15pm it still 76!! Dont be jealous, come summer I will be sweating my b***s off when it reaches 100 with 80% humidity. :crybaby:

Looking good, which deadening product did you end up going with?

Looks like "Peel and Seal" to me. I'm using this stuff this time around too. Reasonably cheap, industrial in application which is just what I want for my rig. No pansy stuff.

:lol:

Nice job in documenting this.

I would check with the shop and see what the say about the hole covering, i think tape would be fine but not sure??? Looks good i want to see what it looks like finished wondering how it will sound also??

Thanks, mshelby.

Product not named...see post #7. :cheers:

Well if you turn out happy with it shoot me a PM with the name :D

Trying to find the best silencer for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom