My 60 Was Rear Ended on the Street Last Night ... Photos Inside - Looking for advice on what to do (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I've had luck saving an old truck after it got rear-ended by telling them about the fresh engine and clutch in it. Went from a totaled truck to them writing a check for repairs. Don't give up on that piece.

I got rear ended in my families 60 when I was 16 (first car, before I thought it was cool 17 years ago). Insurance company totaled it. Took the check for a modern car. Found a junkyard 10 years later and hacked off the entire back end, had the junkyard monkey body guy graft it back on for a few hundred dollars. Looked similar to yours. With some skillful bondo work and a maaco paint job it looked and functioned great. It was always a totalled truck at that point but it was worth it. I'll see if i can find some pictures, it was surprisingly unnoticeable. Sorry to see your truck get hit.

Wow... you would have to lock me in a padded room for a week to cool down. I’d be fighting mad!!!:mad:

best advise in a nutshell:
I would go with NADA classic car guide value and just looking at yours, go with average retail value. They don't care about your add ons, lift kits, 5 speed or whatever else.

so true....wife wrecked a 4 runner years ago, just put new tires on it, less than 1,000 miles. claims guy said nothing extra because of new tires. I asked him, so as long as it has tires that hold air we were good? he stated yes. Good friend at a tire shop swapped on 4 bald tires in place of the new ones. sold them separately.
thinking same could be done for 5 speed, etc.

So a drunk hit you and then bailed? No witnesses? Did anybody see you get out of the cruiser? I’m so sorry to hear about your neck and back. Go easy, the pain is going to get worse. You may need to see a doctor and don’t hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. They can help get you the help you need. Don’t worry about the cruiser, just take care of yourself.

so true....wife wrecked a 4 runner years ago, just put new tires on it, less than 1,000 miles. claims guy said nothing extra because of new tires. I asked him, so as long as it has tires that hold air we were good? he stated yes. Good friend at a tire shop swapped on 4 bald tires in place of the new ones. sold them separately.
thinking same could be done for 5 speed, etc.

All depends on the insurance company. Mine was very generous I got money for tires. Extra money because the adjuster said it was spotless. In the end they may not give extra for anything but it’s all a negotionation and you shouldn’t give up until you are happy. The end amount is all that matters not the “itemized” amounts.

That thing is way more damaged than just a new tailgate and bumper. The sides buckling out like that mean the rear frame is jacked. IMHO, it will never be the same. Get as much money as you can. The insurance company will try and screw you big time. Stand up to them and demand replacement cost. Then buy it back.

If you want to save it, I have a very nice (only 150k on the truck) 1988 FJ62 frame (no body mounts) in Austin.

(The body is part of the 142 project.)

I've got to ask, was it parked on the street?

I had a Mule Deer run into the side of my '88 back in 2002, and the insurance company was going to total it and offer me about $1400 for it. I was a 20+ year customer of their's at that time and told them that if that was their solution, they wouldn't get another premium payment from me, ever. They managed to give me a compromise that I could live with, and the repairs ended up costing $1000 or so.

Make it a ute. Bob the back off and get a tray made out of aluminum.

Also I hope you can get paid out for the repairs.

Ugh...this sucks man. Sorry.

This is EXACTLY why I do not leave my cars, esp the Cruiser, on the street at night. I had a window broken out once on the street...concrete chunk tossed my some dumbass punks.
Had a friend growing up that was a bit of a delinquent and used to sneak his moms car out and get hammered, he totaled the sh*t out of two cars when he drove into a parked car in our neighborhood.

For what it’s worth, I had an 05 mustang parked in my driveway. I had a few days off work and didn’t drive anywhere. When I got back in the battery was dead. Walked to work that day and walked home with a new battery. When I pulled out of the driveway I noticed a piece of a bumper laying in the driveway. Got out to inspect it and noticed the rear end of my car was smashed. It had opened the lid enough to trigger the light which drained the battery. The piece of bumper said Toyota on it. Funny. My roommate drove a 4Runner.

When he got home later that night I looked at his front bumper and noticed that he was missing the piece that I found on the driveway. There was paint from my car on his bumper. I asked him about it and he lied through his teeth for an hour. I explained that I had to make a police report so I could claim insurance. Still lied over and over.

I said “I’m calling the cops and I’ll tell them what I’ve seen and he will take it from there. You can tell him whatever you want to tell him. Are you hungry? I made dinner if you want to eat.”

He immediately felt the guilt and confessed to driving home after a half handle of whiskey. He was turning around in the driveway to park on the street and forgot about brakes. The damage was more than $3,000.

He didn’t learn his lesson. Three weeks later he rolled his 4Runner 11 times and walked away unscathed. He still didn’t learn his lesson. He still drives drunk. He’s not my roommate anymore but funny enough he got hired at the same place I work a few years ago. I’m kind to him and have forgiven him but I’m worried about his future.

Goes to show that you can only do so much. Even when you do everything right and by the book other people will do what they do.

Make it a ute. Bob the back off and get a tray made out of aluminum.

Also I hope you can get paid out for the repairs.

A couple guys on the Land Cruiser reddit have said this, and I hadn't really considered it until yesterday. Father in law may be able to use it on his land in Arkansas, and from what he says, state requirements are pretty lax and you can pretty much drive around in whatever you want. We'll see though... he wants a C10 Chevy but he did mention he was looking at old Datsuns too so maybe he'd go for this

That thing is way more damaged than just a new tailgate and bumper. The sides buckling out like that mean the rear frame is jacked. IMHO, it will never be the same. Get as much money as you can. The insurance company will try and screw you big time. Stand up to them and demand replacement cost. Then buy it back.

Yeah, the damage is a lot worse than it looks on the surface. After more inspection, the frame IS definitely bent on that one side, and all the structure under the bumper is trash. I worked in a body shop when I was a kid (just sweeping the floor and paint prep but learned a lot by watching) and done minor bodywork before, but haven't welded anything yet and the bottom seal area where the floor meets the tailgate seems like a pretty challenging piece.

Really what would need to happen (after frame work) is cutting out everything from the driver side rear door, under the window, and the floor at least to the middle of the truck. I know it's entirely possible to fix it, but I have to figure out if its worth it, and I'm not going to do it myself or pay for it! :)

Insurance is inspecting it today though so we'll see...

Last edited:
I agree with everyone here. Get the most you can for it, buy it back and part it out or make it a dedicated wheeler.

A bent frame is too much work when you can just find another one and go from there. But I agree to keep it as a parts rig.

Wow this absolutely sucks... once again another example of insurance companies aren't in the business of paying out when s*** happens, they just want your money.

I fear stuff like this if the situation ever arises for BeBe. My SIL is our insurance agent, she and her husband have watched me work on the truck, knows the time and effort and money I have put into it, hell her husband has even HELPED me do some of the body work while she was home (before I had my own welder). I guarantee that I would end up fighting with her to get a true, acceptable payout if they wanted to total BeBe.

This is part of the reason that I document much of everything I do with photos, costs of things purchased, amount of time invested and what not on my build thread. With stuff like that as "evidence" that can be taken to a repair shop for quotes and whatnot (at least in my mind) as cannon fodder for you.

His insurance company hasn't even given him a number or if it is totaled yet.
Also your blood sweat and tears will never be paid out. Insurance companies are only obligated to pay replacement value. But clearly documentation showing what is in the truck helps determining true value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom