My 1976 FJ40 "Kit Car" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick Introduction:

Lurking awhile, nothing to post really until today.

Some Background:
I am no mechanic, never even done a rebuild of anything. I click my mouse for a living (financial analyst). So I want to get my hands dirty and actually build something. With that said, I am going to do a “kit car” style rebuild of the classic Toyota Landcruiser FJ40. The donor VIN is for a 1976 to be exact.

Build Objective:
-Utility focused (line-x the entire body, etc.)
-All Mechanical/minimize electronics
-Take it to Moab, shuttle daughter to soccer practice, first car for the boy when he turns 16 -- just an overall fun car that I can ding the doors and take off road without a worry.

If I can buy new/rebuilt/ready to go, I will. I am trying to stay within my core competencies, and that is bolting stuff together, building brake lines, wiring , etc.

Well I ordered a brand new frame & Aluminum body from Aqualu in British Columbia, a B3.3 turbo diesel crate engine from Cummins, axles off a 1978, suspension components from ARB, rebuilt transfer case and H55F 5-speed transmission from Man-a-fre in California.

I shipped it all to Scott @ Eco Off Road in Central Oregon and having him do the finish welding and rough-in for the engine/axles/t-case/tranny mounts.

Since I am not the greatest welder, best to leave this to the big boys.

8602571949_7b53e02f93_z.jpg

8603674442_e30b479435_z.jpg

Current Status:

Picked her up yesterday from Scott (on my birthday, which was an added bound) -- and she is sitting pretty in my garage.

8640755438_19cf9e4be0_c.jpg

8640755810_987490dc90_c.jpg

Next up:
Tear down
Send axles for rebuild
Powder coat frame

Thanks for looking.

Doug

Hello!

Welcome to the sickness! Looks like you are shooting for one nice rig when you are done. I like your plan. Be sure and buy a star and shoot us some pics along the way! Cheers:cheers:

Interesting approach. How are you planning on registering it? As a kit car with current year registration or trying to use the frame?

Interesting approach. How are you planning on registering it? As a kit car with current year registration or trying to use the frame?

No testing or inspection for this old of a vehicle. I walked into the DMV with a title and walked out with a plate.

As for Line-x, that is for the inside of the vehicle. I haven't decided on exterior finish.

What do you guys recommend for frame powder coat, etc.? I am hunting for a frame finish solution.

Some more pics...

h55F and t-case
8514060628_af296bfa83_c.jpg

My lift installed for this project:
8450979065_86c389da50_c.jpg

My data plates:
8379072418_264a721f01_z.jpg

Motor
8441072117_e65c394371_c.jpg

8603674390_414ce026ce_z.jpg

No testing or inspection for this old of a vehicle. I walked into the DMV with a title and walked out with a plate.

As for Line-x, that is for the inside of the vehicle. I haven't decided on exterior finish.

What do you guys recommend for frame powder coat, etc.? I am hunting for a frame finish solution.

If you're going to powder coat and you're in the seattle area check out this place.

http://www.powdervision.com/

This is where TEQ got his rims powder coated when he got them.

Also let me know if you need help...I'm on the east side (Issaquah)...still new to this myself, but I'm useful when it comes to large and heavy objects.

Also, wouldn't call your project a kit car at all. :cheers:

Look into having the frame galvanized. I have dealt with many boat trailers here on the gulf coast and it seems like a good option. Galvanizing will also get inside the frame rails and all the hard to reach places.

Look into having the frame galvanized. I have dealt with many boat trailers here on the gulf coast and it seems like a good option. Galvanizing will also get inside the frame rails and all the hard to reach places.

Curious, thought that p.c. did the same since it done through charging the metal. Personally like the frame to remain black

If you're going to powder coat and you're in the seattle area check out this place.

http://www.powdervision.com/

This is where TEQ got his rims powder coated when he got them.

Also let me know if you need help...I'm on the east side (Issaquah)...still new to this myself, but I'm useful when it comes to large and heavy objects.

Also, wouldn't call your project a kit car at all. :cheers:

Thanks for the lead.

I am in Medina, so we might have to meet up sometime for a beer. :)

Powder coating just encapsulates the metal and is susceptible to chipping. There are paints that will adhere to galvanized metal if you want to keep it black.

Wow, how cool is this, looks like the Jay Leno approach, vote galvanize then paint if you want it black, dipping will get into places powder coat will not, like gulf surfing said, you can always paint it black provided you use a paint designed for gal. Where I use to work they decided to paint the Galvanized railings for safety purposes. Some rocket scientist used plain enamel and it peeled a couple of months later, ha, 400 feet of 4 tiered railing sending paint flakes all over the plant, FODing the entire plant (aircraft manufacturing). Again, really cool build..subscribed..

Welcome, looks to be a great thread. We just moved to Memphis from Seattle about a year and a half ago. We sure miss it. Good luck on the build!
-Mark

Sorry for the double post but what did the original truck look like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom