MV50 compressor mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The mv50 compressor is a great cheap little compressor as many of you know, but I got tired of taking it out of the bag and putting it together Everytime and wanted a little more protection for it. The best size case I found was an Apache 2800 from harbor freight, barely over 20 bucks with a coupon. It was just a hair too small though so I had to change a couple things.

First the air filter, I just got a 3/8" barb with 1/4 npt fitting plus 90 degree elbow, short piece of hose and a k&n breather filter for more horsepower 🤣 ($9 Amazon).

The air hose unfortunately is an odd thread size but retapping is easy so I went with standard 1/4 npt, 90 elbow and quick release. The top comes off easily for tapping and cleaning after so you don't get any metal in the cylinder.

Now it goes in and out of the case without extra steps. Not that it was that difficult before but extra steps always suck. Also it's more protected when bouncing around in the back. Next I need a new pressure gauge since the one that comes on it is pretty far off.

IMG_20200624_094614.jpg

IMG_20200613_133406.jpg

IMG_20200610_173451.jpg

I've seen people replace wires and see some serious improvement in that area.

I've seen people replace wires and see some serious improvement in that area.
The wiring is the weak point on the MV-1050 IMO. FWIW I broke the air filter off my MV-1050 10 years ago and no issues still today except wiring

Yea I debated just going without, but figured it should prolong the life.

What the deal with wiring, need thicker gauge? Does it make it go faster?

Yep better wire (often cannibalizing jumper cables) makes it go faster.

Yea I debated just going without, but figured it should prolong the life.

What the deal with wiring, need thicker gauge? Does it make it go faster?

Removed relay and switch. Connections are done poorly.

Retapped mine too to accept a fitting for a better quality hose.

@LandCruiserPhil any more details about improving the wiring?

Retapped mine too to accept a fitting for a better quality hose.

@LandCruiserPhil any more details about improving the wiring?

Make solid connections after you remove the relay and switch as they are not needed IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom