Multi-Battery System | Looking for input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Copy that. Yeah I have both of those and then ordered this 16 pin Power Cable Connector too before I realized it wasn't waterproof. :( And anyhow there's no way to get the 2 10awg solar leads and 4 pairs of 12awg to fit thru the rubber boot.
So now considering using the double gland entry for the solar leads and mounting a water proof panel-mount elbow connector to the top of the gland entry for the 12ga leads (to keep with just one hole in the roof)

But the contraption looks misshapen and weird lol so still on the fence about it.

Fresh air duct installed. This is a prototype.

2289C117-82D1-4DE7-884D-27BAF24E6126.jpeg

4A14E7B2-BD57-4E9A-B608-623826C53875.jpeg

18257EC4-AF06-4660-B243-43789457CDF0.jpeg

I'm doing some temperature data logging but so far this fan setup seems to be keeping the battery box 10°-15°F cooler than the inside of the cab. I'll post up the temperature graphs later this week.

The data is in. Dont worry about the sensor titles, I moved them around. The sensor showing 136°F was in the cab, the other was in the battery box. Looks like the ducting of fresh air into the battery box with a temp-controlled fan really helped. 31°F cooler :oops:

IMG-0043.PNG

IMG-0044.jpg

The data is in. Dont worry about the sensor titles, I moved them around. The sensor showing 136°F was in the cab, the other was in the battery box. Looks like the ducting of fresh air into the battery box with a temp-controlled fan really helped. 31°F cooler :oops:

View attachment 2737097

View attachment 2737098
What are you using for hardware and app for getting recording of temp and humidity?

@SmokingRocks you have done an incredible job with your set up. Impressive. I am doing a very similar set up to what you have, or at least that is my ambition. I am using the same battery and have so far mounted one of them in the right quarter panel. My goal is to mount two more once they arrive.

Considering the space available in the right rear quarter panel, any suggestions on how I might bring out the hot air? I purchased the same fan as you. Ideally, I would run it to the outside of the vehicle, but I don’t think that is a viable option. Or maybe I’m wrong.

If I bring air in on one side, and have the fan pushing air out, both into the cabin, I don’t think it would serve too much of a purpose.

If you have any suggestions, I am listening. 🤷‍♂️

Pushing or drawing air into the vehicle from an outside air intake is a much more efficient method than trying to vent hot air out of the vehicle. Ideally, you should have the fans draw air from outside into your battery compartment then have that exhaust into the cabin of the rig. You don't want to try to cool the whole rig down, it just won't work, you'll never get ahead of the solar heat gain.

I would figure out where to create a vent into your battery compartment (need to consider many things like water being kicked up from the tires in the rain, where the coolest air will be when parked in the sun etc). My setup works pretty well because I have a sealed battery compartment, the back quarter panel is going to present an interesting challenge, especially if that side of the rig is getting heat soaked by the sun. I would suggest mocking up several different iterations and data log the temperatures BEFORE putting your Lithium batteries in there.

Lithiums are great but in order to not ruin your investment in them or endanger your vehicle, a robust build plan and design is needed. Feel free to add your build to this thread to help others, I'm interested in seeing what you come up with and will help with any of your questions as best I can.

Really great thread and setup @SmokingRocks
New to this and a couple questions
1. With the single main battery (no second) that I would want trickle charged, would you need to add or consider anything different than your diagram minus the second battery?
2. LiFePO4 batteries - is there a venting concern in the cabin? Do they need to be "boxed" with fan and exhaust port or just for cooling/heating the batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom