MTB tire recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Help me in selecting replacement MTB tires. My needs are very basic 50/50 tarmac and dirt. I have no MTB performance skills just dirt paths. I do live in the desert so a heavy duty puncture resistance tire would be nice if there is such a thing.

What Im on now

FMQPpjqTNi-Qiu_iFNs5z43d8bNsZe9oy6auiGE8AJvZmHTnueslzWFHBlHmceNsS5Bph0bFOcvEzbC-K0JnT6lhRlaj7Szca7pJxbkoa4LcpVLXzdARkYDpx-LzSZvLgE0_7NaAqPuMds0JLIUymqu8EeRDnCUfaIRseQOf6ahSS0zDno1B1OY5FlvSSTkENi4uctSGc0P88_Iq2MdnSYZor_tcH_jT0ihisjVB9EDctRCLCP2REPPqLDRjMpGNu4ClWVBSqvgGar-aGfKm72-D0tLE6NmOEGb75MZQ1wTsxCGbKtb-IxG0NYpAqMBplaSkh02LLM0mDFgOD19mvMQO713nuBTh784wDl4GNAnwDtBwl_tI-cUq-KepPVYqPB_SccPjdriz9NwrgBtgJ-kYXJrGhpF7Qt9oXv6ymo7iSHoUG_Ix9LUVFawcSp3yRszUgH5xYC0zT6Vrysv4UTqc5MqVz5nqlxB-YqiOXpsHtZ7rsFscC5nuZEFdYhjFOjCSiEdBu-pBSCcD7uJtabHYGAXRXjAtWsCMZ7Y1MRFgJDyrddNaxCIetz0FN54C4TRTy2ikahe2mazVON1Ug5GDZLkq40AREnMLWqVP=w1185-h888-no

I've been running a set of Bontragers on my trail bike the last two years: XR4 front and XR3 rear, until that wore out and I switched to the XR2. I really prefer them to the Continental Mountain Kings I had before. I do ride some tarmac now and then, but the majority of riding is decently tech dirt. The Contis would regularly get out of shape after hard hits and drops, but the Bontragers have never gone wonky no matter how stupid I've gotten with them.

Neither can hold a candle to the Maxxis DHFs on my DH bike, but those are a whole different ball game.

For your 50/50 tarmac/dirt riding, I'd suggest the Bontrager XR2 rear XR3 front, if you were going to go with them. They aren't going to be a popular choice, but it's a fast rolling combo, better on dry dirt than mud, good and durable in my experience and quite reasonably priced.

Does it HAVE to have lugs on it? If not, you really can't go wrong with the Schwalbe Big Apple's, but from there it is really going to depends on how much you want to spend and what you really need it for. If your dirt is just a dirt path then you should be able to get away with something less aggressive. Also, check out Serfas tires, most bike shops carry them and they are cheap, or just pick something from someone online like Biketiresdirect.com.

I found a set of brand new Panaracer Smoke in my garage.:rolleyes: Not sure where they came from but if ever seen my garage you would not be surprised I had them. Look like heavy lugged tire but given my basic needs should I just run them because they are free?

Also a lot of the tires are available in 2.1 and 3.5 what would I be achieving going with the larger size. I did check clearance and the larger tire will fit.

I found a set of brand new Panaracer Smoke in my garage.:rolleyes: Not sure where they came from but if ever seen my garage you would not be surprised I had them. Look like heavy lugged tire but given my basic needs should I just run them because they are free?

Also a lot of the tires are available in 2.1 and 3.5 what would I be achieving going with the larger size. I did check clearance and the larger tire will fit.
Main thing with large lugs is that you will have rolling resistance when riding on pavement which will slow you down and make you push harder to keep speed/get up to speed. With larger tires you get a larger contact patch, again some added rolling resistance, but would really on benefit if you are hitting small rocks/roots/etc. as the larger tires act like somewhat of a suspension at lower pressures. If this is plainly a commuter bike then I would go with standard road-ish tires, low lugs that will give you enough grip on whatever dirt you are riding (something like a CX tire would work) and then go from there. Tires really can be a very personal selection as everyone is a little different and how each tire performs in the same conditions is different.

If I was in your shoes, and the bike was specifically a commuter bike that only saw pavement and dirt bike path (not trail) I would probably go with something like this..MEO-26-2.1 Sheriff MTB - Serfas or maybe even this CTRB Survivor Drifter S - Serfas. The micro knob setup of the first will show more rolling resistance on the pavement but on the dirt will allow for better traction, the second one is more of a hybrid type tire that is meant for what you are talking about, basic geared cruiser type bike that will see a variety of conditions but never truly go "off road".

Go tubeless if you can and if not get the tubes with slime in them. That way you dont really have to worry about flats quite as much.

Main thing with large lugs is that you will have rolling resistance when riding on pavement which will slow you down and make you push harder to keep speed/get up to speed. With larger tires you get a larger contact patch, again some added rolling resistance, but would really on benefit if you are hitting small rocks/roots/etc. as the larger tires act like somewhat of a suspension at lower pressures. If this is plainly a commuter bike then I would go with standard road-ish tires, low lugs that will give you enough grip on whatever dirt you are riding (something like a CX tire would work) and then go from there. Tires really can be a very personal selection as everyone is a little different and how each tire performs in the same conditions is different.

If I was in your shoes, and the bike was specifically a commuter bike that only saw pavement and dirt bike path (not trail) I would probably go with something like this..MEO-26-2.1 Sheriff MTB - Serfas or maybe even this CTRB Survivor Drifter S - Serfas. The micro knob setup of the first will show more rolling resistance on the pavement but on the dirt will allow for better traction, the second one is more of a hybrid type tire that is meant for what you are talking about, basic geared cruiser type bike that will see a variety of conditions but never truly go "off road".

Go tubeless if you can and if not get the tubes with slime in them. That way you dont really have to worry about flats quite as much.

Thanks for the solid input can you or other educated me on width if there a clear benefit for someone with my riding style or lack of:rolleyes:

Answer is half-dozen of one, six of another..... Really benefits for wider vs. skinnier tires comes down to what you are ultimately doing with the bike, terrain being ridden, riding style, etc. For what you are stating, there really isn't any benefit to going with more than like a 2.2" tire. If you start riding more dirt paths and get into some more trail-ish riding (dedicated mtb trails) then I would look at something else that is wider but for what you are talking about you dont really need much in the way of traction/knobbies.

I love Smokes FWIW.

On my old 26'er I still have a Smoke rear & a Dart front.

The horizontal lugs grip & brake awesome, the vertical of the Dart keep my front from washing out laterally.

If your Smokes aren't dry-rotted (they are old school awesome, lots are gumwall) - I'd slap 'em on.

Intentionally lower the PSI for road/asphalt paths to preserve some lug-life (a distant cousin of 'thuglife' ;)) - you'll pedal harder but Smokes are great tires.

Burn them off & then worry about plus-size tires - besides, all new tires are stupid $$$. A fresh set of Maxxis Minions is ~$150 in 27.5's.

If you ride in sand maybe wide tires would seem like a good idea, but even here in muddy WA I run 2.5-2.8's on wide (Enve 70hv) -rims. Wide(er) tires really benefit from wide rims, same principal as 80's etc.

On one of my rigs I use the Kenda Small block 8 SCT with tubeless rims.. great equally on pavement and dirt...

ti249a07-black.jpg

Maxxis makes the best MTB tires these days... I would pic up a set of Maxxis Ikons, as wide as will fit in your frame.

These are the triple compound (3C) and are the more expensive version... but I LOVE the 3C. I run Ardents and High Roller II's and I love them. Zero issues.
Maxxis Ikon 26" 3C Tubeless Ready Tire | Jenson USA

As for tire width. It started with fat bikes, the modern fat bike was developed in Anchorage,AK for snow travel. From there many people started riding their fat bikes with ~4” wide tires year round. The wider tires (at lower psi) gave better grip and better performance on soft ground but sacrificed on much greater rolling resistance. From there companies developed the “plus” platform, bikes built around tire between the fat bike and traditional mountain bike tire.

To answer the width question. First most mountain bikes not built to accept a “plus” tire will only fit up to a 2.6 or 2.85 wide tire. We as a family ride a lot of single track on trail/enduro bikes and my kids race enduro. For me the fatter tires are so SLOW... they do grip well and preform well on soft ground. If I lived in an area whith a lot of sand I would consider a wider tire. How slow are they, I have a buddy that is a pro mega endurance mountain bike racer (like bike Iditarod). When we ride together he takes his fat bike and on a up to about a 20 mile single track ride we are the same speed with me on my kona process with 2.65 tires.

Maxxis makes the best MTB tires these days... I would pic up a set of Maxxis Ikons, as wide as will fit in your frame.

These are the triple compound (3C) and are the more expensive version... but I LOVE the 3C. I run Ardents and High Roller II's and I love them. Zero issues.
Maxxis Ikon 26" 3C Tubeless Ready Tire | Jenson USA

I have ikons and rekons on my SC Hightower. They are decent. But the highroller 2 and minion dhf on my Canfield are way better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom