Most comfortable AHC replacement available (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,

My right and left front shocks are leaking to varying degrees. I had pretty nasty fluid so I flushed the AHC system. Everything seems to be working again and it’s definitely smoother ride now, but I have a feeling it’s getting close to that time where the decision will be whether to keep the AHC and refurbish / get new soft goods and bushings, etc. or take it all out and put in a replacement kit of some sort. This is the main kit I’ve considered as a suitable replacement:

What do you all think? I don’t really need or want the 1.5” of lift just leaning that way because bilstein makes a great shock and slee has put together a nice kit that I feel might be possibly better on road than what came from the factory 20 years ago. If you have other recommendations for a full time daily driver on road 90% of the time 10% light off roading camping etc. I’d like to hear what you think and which way you went - keep AHC / refurb as much as possible or replace it with a nice kit?

I’m picturing a Rube Goldberg machine that presses the button for you.
A slightly modified “useless box”, or a very well trained mouse?

• Haha
Reactions: GTV
I’m glad you all have a sense of humor. But seriously, I was thinking about how the Lexus LS430 had a similar system and it goes low for highway speeds and high for parking if I recall. Anyway no big deal but I liked the useless box lol. More parts on order will keep you all updated.

Anyway no big deal but I liked the useless box lol.

You don’t think a “Parking Mode” switch to the left of the steering wheel (near side view mirror adjustment), that enables a modified useless box “finger” to come out of the ashtray, and press AHC “low”, would meet your needs?
😁

I’m thinking a relay and a raspberry pie could tackle this but retraining myself to press low as I’m pulling into a spot is easier to do :)

Any other parts I should replace while I’m doing this? Have sway bar end links, bushings, shock cushions, shock bushings, ss brake lines, accumulators (still on order)

I’m thinking a relay and a raspberry pie could tackle this but retraining myself to press low as I’m pulling into a spot is easier to do :)

Any other parts I should replace while I’m doing this? Have sway bar end links, bushings, shock cushions, shock bushings, ss brake lines, accumulators (still on order)
I just completed rebuilding my upper and lower control arms over the weekend (bushings and ball joints). It was a big job. A quality press tool and torch are a must. Seriously, do not even attempt this without a torch!

The last suspension related bushings I need to replace are the rear shock bushings and cushions. Almost there.

Refurbished control arms and an alignment. It drives almost like a new car now. Now to get the last of the rubber bits replaced, rear shock bushings.

It’s been alot of work but worth it.

Something like this is probably the most straight forward solution. Don't think you even need a relay. You can just use the GPIO pins. Also, use an Arduino instead of an RPi because the RPi needs to boot up while the Arduino is ready in seconds and can stay alive on minimum power.

Another alternative is to use the canbus to detect the park signal, then send the signal to lower the AHC.

Something like this is probably the most straight forward solution. Don't think you even need a relay. You can just use the GPIO pins. Also, use an Arduino instead of an RPi because the RPi needs to boot up while the Arduino is ready in seconds and can stay alive on minimum power.

Another alternative is to use the canbus to detect the park signal, then send the signal to lower the AHC.
Sounds like it’s worth further investigation. I suppose we could also program it to keep the power circuit on as long as the system needs to go into L.

If your front shocks are leaking you most likely need to crank your t-bars a little bit and nothing else. Please don't ruin another amazing AHC vehicle.
New to this please forgive my ignorance, you’re referring to torsion bar correct? In a similar position to OP, and am trying to preserve the AHC as best as possible despite some leaky shocks. Need to do pressure check and fluid change as well.

Well just in case you toss the AHC and go static suspension, consider the brand KONI and the specific model “Raid”. It has damping adjustments. I have installed this specific suspension set to different vehicles (100 series, LR Disco 1, Nissan Patrols, 200 series, Hilux, FJ Cruiser, etc) and the result is the same = supreme comfort on the road and control in the trails. When the time comes my AHC reach its EOL, this is what I’m going to put on my 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom