More superchargers being released (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Probably not going to happen. You need a connector that is the same as the connection side on the sensor. Normally those do not exist. I am sure you can get the connector that plugs into the sensor, but one that mimics the sensor side is going to be very difficult to source.

Probably not going to happen. You need a connector that is the same as the connection side on the sensor. Normally those do not exist. I am sure you can get the connector that plugs into the sensor, but one that mimics the sensor side is going to be very difficult to source.

Exactly.

It's true, my 80 feels like a race car compared to my old 96 vortec 5.7L.

2 door tahoe, so not exactly apples to apples.

I don't believe that at all. How many miles were on that 350?

I don't believe that at all. How many miles were on that 350?

~180-ish. It was not maintained and it was a pos imho. That one was actually my dad's. IIRC they were rated at about ~235-240hp stock.

I'm pretty sure that my s/c 80 is faster than my 95 Z71 with the non-vortec 5.7L (~195hp stock). It only had about 120K on it. I find myself "speeding" up the same mountain grades in my 80 that I barely chugged up at 30-40mph in the chebby. Same size tires, more 1000lbs more weight with the 80, and almost the same gear ratio.

Edit: Granted It had been a year since I had driven either chebby when I bought the 80 and I didn't put the s/c on until 2.5 yrs after that. So I wasn't able to compare each vehicle side by side.

Has anyone dyno'd their fzj80 with supercharger? Anyone have power and torque numbers?

Has anyone dyno'd their fzj80 with supercharger? Anyone have power and torque numbers?

Christo has posted a few dyno charts somewhere and a guy from Texas dyno'd his last fall. The numbers weren't extremely impressive from the rear wheels, but I doubt a mid-90's 5.7L would be any higher.

wakesetter - I'd definitely be interested in a plug in extension!

I talked to my dad today (remember he works for Magnussen Superchargers who make the TRD chargers) about the wiring issues and he said that they should be able to submit an engineering change and get the wiring fixed for the next batch (if there is a next batch) I have not actually seen one of these kits so it is hard for me to explain to him exactly what you guys are talking about. Can someone please write up exactly what it is that would make the wiring harness or whatever easier for install. I will get this to my pops and see what can be done. I have no idea if its possible, but maybe they could make an extension?

Nicholas, or anyone, I've not been watching this thread....and my S/C is still not on...is there going to be a kit to extend the wiring to the throttle body? Wakesetter do you know?

Nicholas, or anyone, I've not been watching this thread....and my S/C is still not on...is there going to be a kit to extend the wiring to the throttle body? Wakesetter do you know?

I'd be willing to bet my 80 and my first born that there will not be a wire extending kit available. A few posts up there was talk about how difficult it would be to source the TB side plugs. You will more than likely have to extend them yourself. It's not too bad. Get that thing installed already! I don't know how you bought that thing a week before me and have had the control not to install it.;) I started tearing into mine the day it arrived from American Toyota. :bounce2:

I'd be willing to bet my 80 and my first born that there will not be a wire extending kit available. A few posts up there was talk about how difficult it would be to source the TB side plugs. You will more than likely have to extend them yourself. It's not too bad. Get that thing installed already! I don't know how you bought that thing a week before me and have had the control not to install it.;) I started tearing into mine the day it arrived from American Toyota. :bounce2:

Yep, I agree, this wiring "kit" will NEVER be made.

No time...got a CB 550K Honda motor that belongs in my GF's motorcycle which is basically getting a rebuild thanks to f-ing oil leaks (motor is on the bench now!), fixing the A/C on my dad's 4runner along with a t-belt, and valve cover gaskets, new tires on my sister's Highlander, and maybe front brakes....plus....gotta get a part fabricated for the intercooler set-up on the super charger. And then the whole intercooler set up...not gonna be easy. But yeah I know I need to get it on...just not a rush.

Rather take my time and do it right. Plus the Lexus needs a front brif job, has little oil leaks all over (no dripping however) and I might pop on a headgasket while I'm in there. Always better to do in the summer. And *******, need new speakers and stereo in that thing plus let's not forget the leather...needs new leather too!!!

How's that? But you're right...the pressure feeder needs to be put on!

Intercooler would be nice. I might put one on someday, but it seems to do pretty well as is. I haven't had any overheating issues, but then again, I don't live in AZ. It might be difficult to fab a part for the I/C without having the S/C mounted on the motor so you can take measurements. There isn't a lot of room to work with in there. I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up making.

I doubt that there will be a "kit" either. My questions were directed at making it an engineering change for the new ones, not a fix for the existing ones.

I have to make one for myself anyway so if I knew what it entails I wouldn't mind making up a few. Unless you all thinking I'm over simplifying it :flipoff2:

Damn damn damn. I have that turbo manifold and some various parts just sitting in my garage, the Safari turbo 'CARB exemption' paperwork so I can mimic the look of my turbo install but no turbo or intercooler and since it's my wifes DD, not a ton of time to fabricate the custom install...

$3299 for a bolt-on solution you say? All these choices in life, so difficult!

NLXTACY

Go for it! I'd love to have an extension harness. I wonder if some of the plugs could be harvested off a wreck's harness / sensors.

NLXTACY

Go for it! I'd love to have an extension harness. I wonder if some of the plugs could be harvested off a wreck's harness / sensors.

Well that's my thinking. If I get at least ONE spare harness then I should get enough length of specifically colored wire to make up at least a dozen or so. From there its just getting the correct terminals and also getting the right plug connectors. Seriously it sounds like something that sounds fun and interesting. Not to mention useful.

Intercooler would be nice. I might put one on someday, but it seems to do pretty well as is. I haven't had any overheating issues, but then again, I don't live in AZ. It might be difficult to fab a part for the I/C without having the S/C mounted on the motor so you can take measurements. There isn't a lot of room to work with in there. I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up making.

Me too, looking forward to what I "come up with." But, as we all know overheating is not the aim with the I/C, but I'm sure it will decrease the overall cooling requirements of the engine in sum total. Or maybe not since with the I/C we'll be making more ponies over just the S/C which will mean more BTU cooling capacity needed. Okay, looks like I'm painting myself in a corner. But my want of the I/C is more to cool the intake air charge down to make it denser, which makes more ponies yo!

Though we really get no seat-of-the-pants feel on such a big vehicle for whether or not it's "faster" on a given day. But back in the day, the motorcycle days, my Ducati 916 would be NOTICEABLY faster on days with air temps around 50F and low humidity. A 5k pound truck you'd never be able to tell!

What I will and can do is leave the truck apart while things get fabbed since the vehicle is driven so seldom. And there's that thread where I've donated my S/C pulley for replication. Anyway, planning to have it done this summer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom