More superchargers being released (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I spoke with my contact at TMS a couple days ago and he said that they are waiting for fan blades to complete the kits and they hope to be available mid May. Perhaps that has moved up since my conversation with him.

The list price is about 3,800 bucks and I am offering them for $3,299.00

Since these things are a discressionay purchase at 3,300 bucks a copy I am not buying any on speculation, only for pre-sold orders. Based on the current economy I don't think they will fly off the shelves right away.

What is the current special shopper rate? Enquiring minds would like to know...

Unless you get a better special shopper rate than the rest of us, Dan says abouve that they are $3299

D'oh, missed that post, disregard my question.

I spoke with my contact at TMS a couple days ago and he said that they are waiting for fan blades to complete the kits and they hope to be available mid May.

same sc fan blade or is this a redesigned one?

The same old ringed fan. They opted to replicate the kit in it's entirety to avoid having to re-test it for CARB (which is a huge pain in the ass).

a few little tweaks would be nice:
Wiring Harness extension
Enhanced cooling fan
Intercooler

a few little tweaks would be nice:
Yes... but tweaking would change the 'kit' and require retesting. Not going to happen. Now, if some enterprising person were to make a couple of custom cable sets, that would be very cool

Wiring Harness extension
This was possibly the biggest pain during installation. Splicing in our own wiring harness extension - in the engine bay - with a chunk of plate on top of the valve cover as a work surface - one person holding the two wire ends together, one running the iron and solder... PITA. Someone really needs to make a simple 3' long extender for this. 3' makes for nice routing. This is the #1 value add-on.

Enhanced cooling fan
Already available. Check out the 'Bad Dude' thread. Slight modifications are necessary to the fan shroud, but it works real well. Added cost? Yes, but you are not buying a cheap kit to begin with.

Intercooler
Mmm... not so much. The boost generated isn't enough to make the intake 'blistering' hot. The plumbing to put the heat exchanger in the air stream is a rough one. On top of the valve cover leads to requiring a major hood modification. The best way I can see to do it would be a liquid/air heat exchanger independent of the engine coolant system and needing an additional pump, reservoir, radiator... In principle it's a nice idea, but in practicality it requires some major compromises to make it work.

IMHO YMMV

This was possibly the biggest pain during installation. Splicing in our own wiring harness extension - in the engine bay - with a chunk of plate on top of the valve cover as a work surface - one person holding the two wire ends together, one running the iron and solder... PITA. Someone really needs to make a simple 3' long extender for this. 3' makes for nice routing. This is the #1 value add-on.

Already available. Check out the 'Bad Dude' thread. Slight modifications are necessary to the fan shroud, but it works real well. Added cost? Yes, but you are not buying a cheap kit to begin with.

Mmm... not so much. The boost generated isn't enough to make the intake 'blistering' hot. The plumbing to put the heat exchanger in the air stream is a rough one. On top of the valve cover leads to requiring a major hood modification. The best way I can see to do it would be a liquid/air heat exchanger independent of the engine coolant system and needing an additional pump, reservoir, radiator... In principle it's a nice idea, but in practicality it requires some major compromises to make it work.

IMHO YMMV

I did my install of the SC several years ago (75k ago specifically). I did not splice my harness, and the instructions tell you not to. It does require that you strip a lot more of the harness back than most bother to do.

Performance for the price and 8 hours worth of work, is tough to beat IMO. The most frustrating thing for me at the time, was waiting for the computer to accept the extra air properly. The truck will easily take the v8 toyotas and many TD trucks from a light, and for heavy towing, it has worked well for me.

As a many-times-involved "Bolt in mod" skeptic for years, the TRD kit is outstanding in the attention to detail, in instructions and included parts and available spare parts.

I've been a fan of the FJ80series since it came out, and the SC moves the owner satisfaction index into the new mellinium by correcting the power deficiency problem that plagued it for years.

My .02

Scott J
94 FZJ80 Supercharged

Mmm... not so much. The boost generated isn't enough to make the intake 'blistering' hot.

I'd have to disagree there. It may not have a factory high level of boost, but you can easily fry eggs on the SC and I'd pay $10 to see someone rest their hand on the intake after the Cruiser is up to temperature.;)

I'd have to disagree there. It may not have a factory high level of boost, but you can easily fry eggs on the SC and I'd pay $10 to see someone rest their hand on the intake after the Cruiser is up to temperature.;)

Seriously, in fact the top of my plenum slightly melted a small portion of the hood insulation.

I have some chebby hood vents like you installed, I just need to gather up the cajones to cut the hood. I think that will help the heat situation a lot. I get a blast of heat when I first open the hood when the engine is warmed up. I think the vents will dissipate some of that.

I did my install of the SC several years ago (75k ago specifically). I did not splice my harness, and the instructions tell you not to. It does require that you strip a lot more of the harness back than most bother to do.

The truck's are not the same 93/94 is not the same as 95. With later model trucks you can not do what you did. You have to splice.

The truck's are not the same 93/94 is not the same as 95. With later model trucks you can not do what you did. You have to splice.

Christo, I'm staring at the 1995-1997 TRD installation manual, it's for a MAF equipped truck, in fact page 15 shows the MAF clearly. Remember the installation instructions and application of 00646-17620-501 differs to the 93 and 94 only in the addition of 00602-17620-505 PAIR VALVE Relocation. On Page 12 Step 24 (IAC and TPS relocation) sub b "CAUTION: Do not cut any wires. Note: You will have to cut the loom several inches to gain enough slack so the IAC and TPS connectors car reach the throttle body"

That part of the harness looks identical in mount and application to my 94. And I will note that the "several inches" reference in my case, was basically all the way to the firewall to gain enough slack. Read: "several inches" = massive understatement.

Alas, the splicing is probably easier in the long run, cutting that harness far enough back in situ is not fun, btdt.

Scott J
94 FZJ80 Supercharged

Scott,
I can tell without any doubt that cutting the wiring loom back far enough on my 97 isn't enough. My last truck I had the SC on I had to replace the Wiring harness in it due to it getting melted at the EGR area. While I had the new one in hand I knew I had to move the wires for the SC installation. I cut the wiring loom back all the way back to where the last TPS wire was soldered. Still wasn't long enough. Can't cut past that wire...So Christo has a valid point along with everyone else that took the extension route. :popcorn:

Christo, make a plug-n-play extension!

Scott, as Nemo said, the instructions might say that, but that is not the case on a 95-97 truck. We have done a number of these and believe me if we did not have to splice them on those trucks we would not. The harness wires are not the same inside the looms.

I considered my '93 harness to be too short and I lengthened it about 6 inches.

Ok boys
So for the 95> TRD SC application, the IAC and TPS need to be spliced. The 93 and 94 do not. I'm good with that summary. Dan, having installed 1 501/505 kit on a 93 and 1 on a 94, neither with splices, you *can* do the splice, it's not a *must* do.

Cheers

Scott J
94 FZJ80 Supercharged, non spliced IAC/TPS lineage

I talked to my dad today (remember he works for Magnussen Superchargers who make the TRD chargers) about the wiring issues and he said that they should be able to submit an engineering change and get the wiring fixed for the next batch (if there is a next batch) I have not actually seen one of these kits so it is hard for me to explain to him exactly what you guys are talking about. Can someone please write up exactly what it is that would make the wiring harness or whatever easier for install. I will get this to my pops and see what can be done. I have no idea if its possible, but maybe they could make an extension?

wakesetter,
maybe a stand alone part that one could buy seperately. would take care of all existing stock as well as not officially changing the trd sc.

thanks, but I still need more info. What exactly would the stand alone part be?

A stand alone part for me with regards to new installs would be an extension for the TPS and IAC connectors that go onto the Throttle Body. That would require a Female connector (toyota style) and a Male side so one could simply plug and play so to speak. I bet this would be harder to do than it seems it should however. That way no one is having to cut into their wiring harness to try and extend the connections which I have found to be the hardest part of the installation. My .02

I said new installs since those that have already installed the SC have already found their way around it. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom