More paint, more problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"I would have the vehicle media-blasted"

@studawg :

Can you go over the process you've used to prep a vehicle for paint ie: type and grit size of media used, how far down do you take it??

After media blasting is it then sanded lightly before painting?
The media used was referred to as "soda", not sure on the size. I guess there may have been a light or quick sanding done prior to paint, but Im not sure. We outsourced the blasting and painting to two separate outfits.

There seems to be a big contingent on here that really want to push the "collector" thing. I'm old enough that I watched that happen with early Broncos back in the day, and they're absolutely right, but I personally want no part of it.

Im curious, what do you mean by that?

Im curious, what do you mean by that?
Back when I was a kid, the early Broncos were a fun, capable, distinctive looking off-road rig. High school kids in rural areas had them, guys would take them out on trails, guys would modify them in ways to make them more capable... every now and then someone would get one repainted, but they weren't in car shows or treated like anything special beyond their utility. Fast forward a few years to the late 90's and suddenly they rapidly started getting too valuable to wheel. Suddenly, you had to think of whether anything would compromise the value. Suddenly they weren't fun anymore. I watched people upend bags of money over rigs that were far too beat up to start with to be good candidates for restoration. Many projects ended halfway into a frame-off restoration because the owner lost interest, selling the whole project at a huge loss or worse, parking it in some field to rot.

I'm not saying restoration/preservation is a bad thing inherently, but I don't want to see people get wrapped up with the idea that it's the right path forward for every owner or every rig. Nostalgia is a poor lens through which to view your options. If you have one in really nice shape, then it certainly will appreciate in the coming years, but if you have a rust-belt special... well, you get my point.

In the case of the OP, it sounds like they have two 80s in the family if I understand correctly. We don't know all that much about either one except for a few pics that show failed paint on one and a little bit of lifting clear on the other. It seems to me that it might be smart to take a serious look at the condition of both (rust, dents, interior, mechanical, etc) and designate one as the "nice" one while the other is more utilitarian where he can play with mods, etc. Just a thought.

If protection from further deterioration of the truck is your requirement then you can roll a 2 part paint and if done correctly will yield amazing results!

This aircraft was painted with Interlux Perfection. Rolled on with 6” foam rollers, 2 coats with a light sanding in between coats.

The whole process is pretty straightforward and easily accomplished.

After removing necessary trim, lights etc a thorough cleaning is required.
Step one is washing the truck with 1 part liquid tide to 8 parts warm water. Use medium Scotchbrite as a rag to wash and scuff truck. This will remove grease wax etc. Thoroughly rinse and don’t let the tide/water solution dry. Wash/scuff complete truck 2 times.

Next is to feather any really bad areas and if necessary prime with appropriate Interlux compatible primer for the Perfection.

Finest grit required before application of paint is the burgundy Scotchbrite.

Thoroughly dry truck. Wash with a surface prep from Interlux with the wet rag dry rag process.

Apply paint with roller, go lightly, do not try and get a super heavy coat. Do not roll back into the paint after it has been on the surface for more than a minute.

Let dry overnight. Wet sand with 320 grit paper to remove surface dust contaminates. Dry and apply second coat.

If your not happy with the finish apply third coat after wet sanding with the 320 grit.

Enjoy an extremely tough finish 🍻

C2B6AF80-CFE7-4E33-9200-C8D584C841FF.jpeg

7A20D41E-D32A-4D37-A63C-E2D172604D1F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom