More on the superflow compressors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I just got done running the "Elvis" trail in Florence with two other buddies. (I'll post pics asap). Anyways After the run they whipped out their personal MV50 superflow compressors and started airing back up. Well first one guys compressor just suddenly died, it was hot but no blown fuse. Then my other buddies compressor made it through his tires but then died filling up the first guy's tires, same thing hot but no blown fuse just dead. Even after a cooling period they failed to start up again. Has anyone elses little red mv50 Superflow compressor given up the ghost in this manner. They told me they only got 7 tires each out of theirs.If this is the case then I am glad I didn't buy one as I was about to pay the 59.99 Pep boys was asking. So how is everyone's compressor running who has one, any long term reports?

I've only aired up 3 or 4 tires in my driveway, one from flat to 35 psi (305/70/16 MTR's). May have to get the group buy CO2 as a backup. Did they do any kind of "post-mortem" on them to figure out why they died without blowing a fuse? Overheat and sieze?

We're speculating the seizure then death but an autopsy has not been performed. Actually I'm hoping he'll toss it my direction and I might be able to determine cause of death or possibilty for resusitation.

I would like to get a look at them, I repair air tools for a living. One of mine has had a pretty good workout and is still going strong, these are the first I have heard of dying and some users have tested them heavily.

I had one do the same thing. The piston seized in the cylinder. The next one I took apart and lubricated prior to using it. I wouldn't recommend using them on tires as the design is not very good. Too much heat and not enough lubrication. They work well as an air source for ARBs.

Eric V.

ginericfj80 said:
I had one do the same thing. The piston seized in the cylinder. The next one I took apart and lubricated prior to using it. I wouldn't recommend using them on tires as the design is not very good. Too much heat and not enough lubrication. They work well as an air source for ARBs.

Eric V.

Any specific recommendations on what/with what to lube? I used my to air up all 4 tires a half-dozen times now with no issues. I stop periodically to check pressure and let it cool down. So far, so good.

RUSH55 said:
Yeah, I'd get Tools to bore it out, up the compression, and put a supercharger on it!!
:bounce:

Mine work well so far, most of the time airing up more than one truck at a time. I never let them rest any more than the time it takes to move the hose to the next tire. Haven't had one apart yet, but oilless pumps don't like lube, most of the time it's more damaging than helpful.

Hey Kevin,
can this kind of oilless compressor be taken apart and
de-burred or honed or whatever to make them more
reliable than mass production might give?

Bambusiero said:
Hey Kevin,
can this kind of oilless compressor be taken apart and
de-burred or honed or whatever to make them more
reliable than mass production might give?

I don't know, mine have never missed a beat, so I haven't had the motivation to take one apart!:hillbilly They are high RPM units, but they don't shake, rattle, vibrate, so whomever designed or stole the design did a pretty good job. With anything mass produced some design compromises are usually made, so they may respond to porting.

I have one from Pep Boys, something like a model 1050. Have used it 3 or 4 times with no problem.

Autozone sells a "Slime" branded one for $15. So far it has airred up 4 33/12.5 15's from the upper teens to 35ish without skipping a beat. It lacks an airgauge, which sucks, but is addressable easily enough. What is special about these $60 pep-boys models that makes em worth one of these slime pumps for each tire?

import silvia said:
Autozone sells a "Slime" branded one for $15. So far it has airred up 4 33/12.5 15's from the upper teens to 35ish without skipping a beat. It lacks an airgauge, which sucks, but is addressable easily enough. What is special about these $60 pep-boys models that makes em worth one of these slime pumps for each tire?

Capacity, they are the first "cheapies" that can air tires in a short time. I haven't seen the slime one, is it powered by the lighter socket or by battery clips? Is there a CFM or LPM rating?

import silvia said:

Time..... you can air up a tire your size in about 2-3 minutes per tire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom