More fuel range for the late 100... Or sell it and start over? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

in

Exactly. I did the math based on our admittedly low annual mileage of our LX, gas at $5/gallon, and a $20k sale value of our LX towards buying a new $70+ turbo diesel Tahoe that reportedly gets twice the mileage of our LX. If I forked out the $50k difference in pricing in cash, I found that It would take 17+ years for that trade to recover that $50k in fuel savings. Didn't even calc in insurance on new $70+k SUV, crazy Calif DMV bend over fees, etc. I dunno...maybe at some point I'll be more motivated to swing it but right now I'm just not seeing the value there.
Or import a 1999 or older RHD turbodiesel 100 series. I added an LRA sub tank and minimum ~1000 mile range. And it was <$24k shipped to my door with <60k miles.

Just chiming back I got a 40 gallon main tank in my 2004 last year and did two laps of the country since. Absolutely love it, so many times before at 220 miles in I would get gas just to be safe. Now I pretty much go 250-350 with zero concern (can easily go 500+ miles). If the stock tank works for someone, by all means rock on. 40 gallons is a great size for me, and now has me thinking of the 40 gallon aux tank 🤪

tell us about the 49g main tank. does it intrude upon spare tire space?

40g (150L). No it does not.

gas tank is in the frront of rear axle and the spare tire mounts behind the rear axle. Never the twain shall meet

Reactions: GTV
10-4.

in my use, that will probably need a skid plate.

also, i can drive 7000 miles on the $ used for that option. Think i'll just use jerry cans :doh:

The tank is made from very thick steel, dry weight is claimed to be 120lbs. I wouldn't want to balance my whole rig on it like a skid/slider but it would take one hell of a hit.

This is a hobby, if it was all about wise financial decisions this forum wouldn't exist. I want longer range and for it to be seamlessly integrated. To me it's worth it.

The tank is made from very thick steel, dry weight is claimed to be 120lbs. I wouldn't want to balance my whole rig on it like a skid/slider but it would take one hell of a hit.

This is a hobby, if it was all about wise financial decisions this forum wouldn't exist. I want longer range and for it to be seamlessly integrated. To me it's worth it.
wise decions: I fail that test :bang:

The 40 gallon auxiliary tank goes where the spare tire currently resides. That is the compromise (relocating the spare). But running around with 80 gallons means that you can top up your hundy when you feel like it vs it being part of the daily plan.

I recently finished this install in my ‘04. The instructions are more of a general guide. There is no mention of the differences between EVAP hose routing. The instructions state that the rollover valve hose is at the front of the tank, but on my ‘04 it runs towards the back of the vehicle. Additionally, the ring that secures the fuel pump assembly to the tank is cut to fit 98-02 models, 03-05 will require you to cut the opening to accommodate the vapor pressure sensor. I’ve attached a picture demonstrating how I ran the lines with the LRA tank, 40 gallons is great to have when you average 12 mpg.

Red line shows how the line for the rollover valve is run with the OEM tank. Yellow shows how this line is run with he LRA tank (same routing for supply and return lines.)

630E8760-301A-4CC9-B3EC-6361B64DF312.jpeg

Reactions: GTV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom