Monthly Club Meeting at Kiroy's in Springfield, Wednesday 5 February. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@JohnVee here is the Guiness I had for you

20200205_195313.jpg

It was awesome meeting everyone! Can't thank everyone enough for their help with the tail light and of course, for the ride home after Pearl's 6 volt's of juice let go.

Hoping to get back to Kilroy's tomorrow night, probably around 7-7:30 with a new battery if anyone is around the area, can probably tackle it myself, but would love some help! Drinks on me if the alternator takes a liking to the new battery...well...still drinks on me for the help regardless, but might need to scoot on home.

In the meantime, I named the cruiser "Pearl" and got my build/maintenance thread going:

Regarding the discussion of the car club area at the washington auto show I just saw this posted on TLCA FB. Looks like there were some 4runners and other trucks too.

Maybe they’ll have some insights they can share from the Chicago show. Regardless, cool to see others doing it too.
30A1F29F-AEBA-43B2-8BCC-750F5ECDAB65.jpeg

Got it done. Negative terminal was fused together. Cut and striped wires and replaced. Got soaked. But made it home safe from her first Kilroy’s meet. Just took a little longer to adjourn.

685E6826-31CE-4076-8D8F-20A3500C7A10.jpeg

No voltage increase when tested with multimeter or on gauge when running. Red discharge light still on. Alternator isn’t doing squat.

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been Ubering the grandkids.
How old and how many miles on the alternator?

'96, 246k (o_O) No records, so assuming those numbers.

Yep, assuming it’s the OEM alternator it is end of life. Usually the brushes wear out, especially in dusty environments. You can get replacement brushes if you want to rebuild it. Personally, I would replace it.
Did anything cause it to fail? For example, jump starting another vehicle can put a significant load on the alternator. Diodes usually fail from jump starts.

Did anything cause it to fail? For example, jump starting another vehicle can put a significant load on the alternator. Diodes usually fail from jump starts.

Not that I know of. It ran silent - I hadn't noticed any bearing noise and the belts have been replaced >1k ago. I wasn't getting any weird electrical gremlins other than the discharge light. Assuming with the mileage that the brushes are just...gone. :poof:

When I returned the battery core to Advance I had them run their diagnostic. Starter - good. Battery - obviously good. Alternator - 0 voltage. I ran the multimeter test when I got home and got nothing as well. Was worried it could be some other random electrical issue, but all signs seem to point to alternator.

Ordered an OEM Denso reman from Rockauto. $104 after core. Should be here the 12th. Truck will be on the tender. Will aim to do oil change at the same time and get to it from the bottom. Open to suggestions and/or help!

Edit:

Gotta love rock auto...

98E4AA24-0AF4-4C6C-9686-CA2E446193FC.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom