Monstaliner Bedliner (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
I finaly got around to doing the hood and rockers with Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner outperforms Herculiner Bed Liner, Duplicolor and Rustoleum Road Warrior.

So far, I am much more impressed with the monstaliner than I have been with Duplicolor and herculiner. I have used the duplicolor roll on and the duplicolor and the herculiner spray on bed-liners with limited success. The spray on liners wore through too easily (canoe tie down straps were able to wear though the spray on bed-liners in a 2 day camping trip).

This material seems to roll on much thicker and with a better consistency than I have seen on the other aftermarket liners.

I was tempted to use a undercoating gun to spray it on, but Eric at Monstaliner suggested that I roll it on and see how it turns out.

I basically followed the directions in the kit.

Here is what comes in the gallon kit. You get the catalyst, a slightly unfilled gallon of the bed-liner (you cannot have a full gallon if you want to add the quart of catalyst). my kit did not come with the roller pan so that is from Ace Hardware. Everything else came with the kit..

One you add the catalyst to the gallon, you use the mixing stirrer on a drill to make sure the catalyst is evenly distributed in the gal of bedliner material.

Prep was fairly easy. Tape off the edge you want and then use the sanding pad that comes in the kit to rough up the surface that you are going to cover.
DSC_0038-400.jpg
DSC_0041-400.jpg
DSC_0040-400.jpg

I wanted to black out my hood and do the fenders/rockers of my 60 with the Monstaliner. The first coat went on fairly well but had some holes in it. That is not suprising considering that the rollers they provide are fairly rough and only hold a certain volume of material.

Being careful is important. I had to clean up a couple of splatters and overzealous rolls with MEK. Which does a very good job of removing the bedliner when it is not dry (I have not tried it on dry Monstaliner yet, doubt I will actually)

Pics are of the area sanded down and ready for Monstaliner application.
DSC_0035-400 (2).jpg
DSC_0036-400 (2).jpg
DSC_0034-400 (2).jpg

After the areas have been sanded down I used a rag soaked with MEK to clean up.

The first coat went on well with a couple patches of non coverage as I mentioned before. Honestly, I probably could have put the monstaliner on thicker for the first coat, but I was going to apply a second coat, so I was not all that concerned. As it turned out, I had nothing to worry about.
DSC_0043-400.jpg
DSC_0045-400.jpg
DSC_0044-400.jpg

In the end, 2 coats was only about half a gallon of the bed-liner material.
Drying time was considerably faster than the 3 hrs suggested in the manual. I was going to put a third coat on there, but after pulling the tape off my tailgate, I saw no reason to make the bed-liner thicker.
DSC_0047-400.jpg
DSC_0062-400.jpg
DSC_0063-400.jpg

The Monstaliner has a nice balance between rougher texture and smooth texture. They do recommend running the roller over the liner after it is slightly dry to get a rougher texture. However I really like the fairly smooth consistency that it gives right out of the can.

Overall, I am fully happy with the product. I will keep up dates going on how the liner weathers the test of time. I am curious to see how the Nevada Sun treats the UV stable liner.
DSC_0057-400.jpg
DSC_0049-400.jpg
DSC_0065-400.jpg

Great thread, I'm probably going to give this a shot on my 40 tub soon.

How much was the kit? Where did you get it from?

Sorry if I missed it but, how does the price compare to duraliner etc?

thx

$134 for the monstaliner kit.

Looks like you can get a good duraliner drop in bedliner for approx $140.

The Monstaliner has a nice balance between rougher texture and smooth texture. They do recommend running the roller over the liner after it is slightly dry to get a rougher texture. However I really like the fairly smooth consistency that it gives right out of the can.

Overall, I am fully happy with the product. I will keep up dates going on how the liner weathers the test of time. I am curious to see how the Nevada Sun treats the UV stable liner.

Nice job
monsta-emoticon.gif

Looks like a product worth trying. Did you think about doing it in blue to match the truck?

Yes I did, However, the colors were still being developed, and I really like the two tone look.

I am contemplating doing a tan roll on on my Green F350 tho..

Yes I did, However, the colors were still being developed, and I really like the two tone look.

I am contemplating doing a tan roll on on my Green F350 tho..

Mace
Here's the latest pics of some cool jobs

Regards
Eric
075.jpg
85_CJ7_Desert-Sand_DSC04204.JPG
1980-CJ5-dh_jeep-hardtop_Spice_100_0266.jpg

Quick question on the tintable liner.....Do you have to use monster tints or will it work with a single stage urethane paint so I can match the vehicle color?

Quick question on the tintable liner.....Do you have to use monster tints or will it work with a single stage urethane paint so I can match the vehicle color?

No
We've been very busy selling the Monstashades so I've not had enough time to do more testing but there's no reason it won't work

To tint 1 gallon of tintable ML you only need 8oz of the tints we are making. Automotive colorants may need slightly more, up to 12 oz since they are not as concentrated.

If you went to a local auto paint store this is what you need to specify:

(I want to purchase only the toner portion of my vehicle color for 1 full gallon of BASECOAT. Omit any binders, balancers or reducers called for in the formula - use pigmented toners only. Do not use water-based or lacquer-based colorants.)

You do not want to use the complete paint you could purchase because if you only add 8 - 12 oz of that to the ML tintable you will have a transparent mess and will get little if any coverage. By using the toner colors only you are basically dropping in the concentrated pigments portion that goes into a full gallon of basecoat into the equal amount of bedliner and it will cover like it was designed to.

Does this make sense?

What you will actually leave the store with is only a 1/2 quart approx of liquid

I had read about Monstaliner, but didn't give it much thought until now. thanks for being the guinea pig Jason, now I'm sold :D

I plan to follow the body contours of my 62 (which is the darker blue shade) the same way you followed with your 60. I wonder how that combination would look with a white roof too...... :hmm:

I got a sample of the product in blue and it was too far off. While the idea of getting the pigments from a paint store is doable, if you had the formula, how hard would it be for you to do it and ship out?
Also, what if you want a smooth finish? Not glass smooth but pretty smooth, do you just roller it less?
And how well does your product stick to chrome such as bumpers?
I have projects in mind so I think I'll go through 2 gallons or more.

I got a sample of the product in blue and it was too far off. While the idea of getting the pigments from a paint store is doable, if you had the formula, how hard would it be for you to do it and ship out?
Also, what if you want a smooth finish? Not glass smooth but pretty smooth, do you just roller it less?
And how well does your product stick to chrome such as bumpers?
I have projects in mind so I think I'll go through 2 gallons or more.

I wish that would work but each company's color system is different concentration of pigments and there's no way to get a match just by plugging in same amounts

Smoother is easy with colors. Correct, you just don't re-roll after the 2nd coat.

Not direct to chrome. Surface would need good sanding to remove surface of chrome and then a primer first

Edit: I should not say this yet about chrome as there may be a way to get adhesion without damaging chrome surface. Look up Bulldog Adhesion promoter this may work on chrome before paint or liner

Last edited:
Magnetman, how well does the product take to touch-up work, say from repairing rock chips/scrapes or having to remove some for sheet metal repair?

I would think that touch up would be hard with a 2 part system. Maybe they could come up with a touch up kit in different sizes or just withhold some from the batch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom