Monstaliner Bedliner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used 2 gallons on this 80, sprayed on.
443C58EE-51F1-4F0E-B0F9-79F3AFBBD42C.jpeg

I have some questions maybe you guys can help with. I bought the 2 gal kit for my 80 and PPG Toyota Army green Toner. I sent 2 emails to monstaliner but never heard back so just looking for some advice. First coat went on great, but coverage was spotty so waited the appropriate time, then started the 2nd coat. I made many mistakes trying to make the process easier. I mixed both gallons and everything in a 5gal bucket which let WAY too much air get in. The paint thickened up and had a film on it when we went to start the 2nd coat. I noticed chucks immediately but tried to pick them out. When it dried, i had so much garbage in it, that I need to re-do it. This isn't on the product or monstaliner by any means but my lack of knowing that you simply cant let air get to it for long at all. Anyways, I ordered another gal tintable kit and have more toner for it. My question is, can I sand this down some, then put another coat on? Just looking for advice on how to fix it. I'm too OCD to leave it as is.

i-QCmzs77-X3.jpg

i-PBkfZZx-X3.jpg

i-xQ9Bjqz-X3.jpg

I would sand it with a DA with 180 and then spray it with Monstaliner. sand all surfaces -- sand all the crud out flat.... Then I recommend spraying the next coat on... Much better finish.

, I only mix what i will use for a coat... just dries too quick especially in humid climates.

Thanks and I've thought about spraying this coat on vs rolling it. I agree, the stuff dried really quick. I just wasn't sure how sanding would work on it. I may find a place on the roof to test sand. Also, how much overspray do you get with this?

Thanks and I've thought about spraying this coat on vs rolling it. I agree, the stuff dried really quick. I just wasn't sure how sanding would work on it. I may find a place on the roof to test sand. Also, how much overspray do you get with this?

You are spraying a thick material, so nothing goes the air and floats. I spray in the yard, and don't care if the grass gets some stuff on it. If you are spraying on the driveway, put down thick plastic first and tape off anything on the car you don't want monstaliner on.

I have some questions maybe you guys can help with. I bought the 2 gal kit for my 80 and PPG Toyota Army green Toner. I sent 2 emails to monstaliner but never heard back so just looking for some advice. First coat went on great, but coverage was spotty so waited the appropriate time, then started the 2nd coat. I made many mistakes trying to make the process easier. I mixed both gallons and everything in a 5gal bucket which let WAY too much air get in. The paint thickened up and had a film on it when we went to start the 2nd coat. I noticed chucks immediately but tried to pick them out. When it dried, i had so much garbage in it, that I need to re-do it. This isn't on the product or monstaliner by any means but my lack of knowing that you simply cant let air get to it for long at all. Anyways, I ordered another gal tintable kit and have more toner for it. My question is, can I sand this down some, then put another coat on? Just looking for advice on how to fix it. I'm too OCD to leave it as is.

View attachment 2343804

View attachment 2343805

View attachment 2343806
Got a link to where you bought this colored toner from? Im assuming you verified it is compatible with monstaliner?

Got a link to where you bought this colored toner from? Im assuming you verified it is compatible with monstaliner?

I found an article that i linked below and it has to be PPG shopliner toner so I found a local shop that dealt with PPG. I found the Toyota Army green paint code and took it to them. It mixed, color is perfect and went on great except for my mistakes letting too much air in it. 3rd coat goes on tonight and at least i know what NOT to do this time.

I don't post much, but I wanted to post an update about my issues that may help someone else. Mine as you see above was done wrong. I let air get into the paint for the 2nd coat, roller fell apart...etc and made a not so great finish. I used a plastic rzr blade and scraped the garbage out after several days of curing. I then went over it with 180 grit on my portable sander. This left a lot of texture and paint, but smoothed it out where the garbage was. I ordered another gallon kit from monstaliner, had more toner mixed and followed the directions this time. It went on like butter and covered perfectly. Here's some pics, but follow directions kids lol, it saves headaches. Now for lift, tires, wheels, roof rack, bumper and rock rails this wknd.

i-wX2HNTm-X3.jpg

i-H2R4tWx-XL.jpg

i-pRrRLmx-X3.jpg

Looks like the air intake cross over pipe might be too tall?

View attachment 2347420
I don't post much, but I wanted to post an update about my issues that may help someone else. Mine as you see above was done wrong. I let air get into the paint for the 2nd coat, roller fell apart...etc and made a not so great finish. I used a plastic rzr blade and scraped the garbage out after several days of curing. I then went over it with 180 grit on my portable sander. This left a lot of texture and paint, but smoothed it out where the garbage was. I ordered another gallon kit from monstaliner, had more toner mixed and followed the directions this time. It went on like butter and covered perfectly. Here's some pics, but follow directions kids lol, it saves headaches. Now for lift, tires, wheels, roof rack, bumper and rock rails this wknd.

View attachment 2352071

View attachment 2352072

View attachment 2352073
LOOKS AWESOME>>> Great advice also....

whats special about the bottle, cant any bottle work. hard to swallow $2 bottle becomes 9 bucks

whats special about the bottle, cant any bottle work. hard to swallow $2 bottle becomes 9 bucks

has to be able to stand up to MEK solvent and have the right screw threads....

shipping kills it, that is why I mention to go pick up at your local paint supplier.

OK solvents are the bitch i see. i was thinking like a stupid milk jug would work but solvents may not agree with that.

now a i know

ty

if you were closer you could borrow one.... my wife is probably driving by your place today on way from KC to Peosta

i see some of you ML right over the mirror backs on your 80s is it still holding up, and what extra prep work did you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom