Molasses rust removal, anybody tried this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the molasses doesn’t dissolve metal. It rips the oxygen from the oxidation. It’s fermentation reaction is oxygen hungry not metal hungry that’s the beauty of it. (It only ferments at above 20 degrees C)

Your coins should be fine.

here is some copper i experimented on and what it looked like after two weeks with no scrubbing

if you need a small amount I have some you can have. (it needs to be feed molasses not grocery store molasses that has preservatives in it)

Feed molasses can be found at Borden mercantile for 20$ for 12l

View attachment 2255323View attachment 2255325View attachment 2255322View attachment 2255324

Nice! Sounds like it would work really well then. I remember now you mentioned it's the fermentation action that eats the oxides. I live near Borden Mercentile. So I'll drop by and pick some up when I get some time. That said, I've done a lot of brewing over the years, including ciders and fruit wines. Wonder if just making a small batch of wine with sugar would do the same thing? Maybe I'll give it a go. Some apple juice, sugar, water and yeast. I'll dump some coins in once it's bubbling.... :)

That said, I've done a lot of brewing over the years, including ciders and fruit wines. Wonder if just making a small batch of wine with sugar would do the same thing? Maybe I'll give it a go. Some apple juice, sugar, water and yeast. I'll dump some coins in once it's bubbling.... :)

Good question I'm curious as well keep us updated

the molasses doesn’t dissolve metal at least not in several months. It rips the oxygen from the oxidation. It’s fermentation reaction is oxygen hungry not metal hungry that’s the beauty of it. (It only ferments at above 20 degrees C)

Your coins should be fine.

here is some copper i experimented on and what it looked like after two weeks with no scrubbing

if you need a small amount I have some you can have. (it needs to be feed molasses not grocery store molasses that has preservatives in it)

Feed molasses can be found at Borden mercantile for 20$ for 12l (a little goes a long way as it needs to be mixed one part molasses to nine parts water)

View attachment 2255323View attachment 2255325View attachment 2255322View attachment 2255324
$20 for 12 litres... x9 = 108 litres. Could soak a 40 door or bib in 108 litres.

The real “cat’s meow” would be if it stripped paint at the same time ;) We all need to chip in and fill a pool with if :D

Anyone have opinion on using boiled or raw linseed oil over molasses for rust removal
or rust care? Teri has read about a bucket of sand with linseed oil to store garden tools to keep
them rust free. I’ve heard of it, but wanted to know what others know.

Question I'd have is, linseed oil does dry out/harden eventually, so would it solidify in a lump after a while?

I've been wiping axes down with linseed , I just dip a finger in it because rags turn rock hard after a couple days.

not a hint of rust months later. Obviously wears off when in use.

Bucket would be a convenient method if it stayed fluid tho.

Thanks. There is a guy from the south who used it over the patina on his old FJ45.
It does look really cool Let me see

It's good stuff. Million uses for it. We used to add it to putties that had dried out. Even never seize when you're down to the last ¼ of the jar and it's getting too hard to scrape out with the brush.

Nice wood finish too, although it does yellow quite a bit in the sun.

Question I'd have is, linseed oil does dry out/harden eventually, so would it solidify in a lump after a while?

I've been wiping axes down with linseed , I just dip a finger in it because rags turn rock hard after a couple days.

not a hint of rust months later. Obviously wears off when in use.

Bucket would be a convenient method if it stayed fluid tho.
Does the molasses dry out or does it need to be sealed when not in use? Might be a stupid question, but
if an open bucket was left out would it attract bugs?

Does the molasses dry out or does it need to be sealed when not in use? Might be a stupid question, but
if an open bucket was left out would it attract bugs?

Molasses could evaporate as fast as water would It’s mixed one part molasses to 9 parts water. Mine doesn’t seem to evaporate at all in years probably because of the small skim of oil on top. I don’t bother to clean the parts much before I drop them in. Also doesn’t have bugs maybe for the same reason. You might want to keep it lidded it’s not an offensive smell but it does have a strong molasses smell.

I think we’re talking two different things though. I could be wrong but I don’t think linseed oil removes rust it will prevent it and inhibit it but not remove it. Molasses removes rust but doesn’t prevent it in fact after you pull something out of molasses if you don’t paint it soon it will flash rush. Metal with the rust removed by molasses then treated with linseed oil might be a great combination.

Yeah, the linseed is just for after the rust is removed. It'd soak the rust and encapsulate it to a degree, but wouldn't remove it.

Oily sand would probably serve to coat and scrape the tools when pushed in.

My last batch of molasses died I think. :lol:

Had a bunch of old lathe chucks and s*** in there, maybe too much grease because it actually got some mold on it and stopped working. Could tell because the molasses smell almost completely went away in the shop.

The molasses comes in a pail with a lid, lasts ages, I still have half of mine I bought a couple years ago. When I'm actually using it I tend to just use a big Rubbermaid tote and put it in the shop bathroom with the heat on.

No lid, doesn't seem to get too many bugs, and there's definitely some in there....takes a brave man to sit on that toilet. :rofl:

So one for rust removal. One for rust prevention. I used vinegar on recommendation from a friend
to remove rust from the turbo parts. It worked really well, although it took time. When I was done I
used it to kill stinging nettles that have appeared by the shop. It does kill plants without
the worry of killing the dogs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom