modified kaymar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

euclid

SILVER Star
Threads
I came across a decent deal on a Kaymar a few months ago from a mud member. The overall look of the bumper matches my build idea of low bling old schoolish. Departure angle sucks, and it sticks out way too far on the sides. I also always liked the quarter protection that 4x4 labs does. My friend Jeff said he'd help, so I decided to modify the kaymar some:

Cut the ends off:
006.jpg
014.jpg

The white line on the bumper shows the angle I wanted to make on the quarter protection. The kamar spindles are hardend, so it ruins a blade or two to cut them. I figgure the extra strength added by welding the big 1/4 " quarter protection will account for the strength lost by cutting the spindle some.
016.jpg

Using cardboard to figgure out the size and bend required for the plates. Local metal shop cut and bent them for $80.
017.jpg

Tacking up the plate to figgure out some spacing. We added a piece of 1/4" angle iron along the botom edge for slider/strength.

10 hours of working on your truck will make you get all artsey with the photos.
rear bumper 004.jpg
rear bumper 005.jpg
rear bumper 007.jpg

NICE WORK looks good :grinpimp:

In the last one here you can see how they are connected to the frame. Another piece of tube between that leg and the body mount will distribute some of the weight. Also visible is the piece of angle iron.
After it was mounted I ended up triming the end of the slider off to make room for tire clearence.
rear bumper 011.jpg
rear bumper 012.jpg
rear bumper 015.jpg

In these you can see the new swingout catch. The 35 was already pretty hard on the old catch. Also, I always hated the cheesy kamar latch system. I'll probably cut this new one off and try to get a little sliker with the same idea. The simplicty of a simple d-ring sliding into a notch makes more sense than a spring dependant system like Kaymar.
rear bumper 020.jpg
rear bumper 021.jpg
rear bumper 022.jpg

WOW even cooler done great work ...also I need to say MAN I WANT A FF REAR AXLE :grinpimp: gota add that to my todo list again

Also made a high lift mount system. In the second pic you can see the top part that holds the high lift in place. One of those daystar handle holders goes against the metal bracket. We made a lock system, but it hit the lift gate so it will get re-designed later on.
007.jpg
036.jpg

4 runner license plate holder with light. Mounted to the kaymar locking mechanisim like others have done in the past:
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg

Side shot of high lift in place. The mechanisim tucks into the liscense plate space on the tailgate.
006.jpg
008.jpg

WOW even cooler done great work ...also I need to say MAN I WANT A FF REAR AXLE :grinpimp: gota add that to my todo list again

Thanks bro. Sorry I never got back with you on those parts I wanted. Ran out of dough after droping some serious coin on my external fuel pump and then a starter!

Yeah, the FF/Rear Disks/ front locker install is when my truck finaly pushed into mid-modified status.

Thanks for the props on the bumper, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

See you on Saturday.

Now that's a nice mod, lots of protection.:D

Great looking bumper. I have thought about fabbing up some sides to mine as well. I did my Hi-lift somewhat simillar to yours.

Again... Great Job.:beer:
100_0701.jpg

Very nice work! I like the design and they seem very solid.

Looks Great!

I really like the Hi Lift mount.

Are your sliders goona be connected to the frame in the front or just the the bumper?

They are connected to the frame in 2 places, as well as the bumper. I'll get a shot of the front frame connection. We used a piece of tubing to bridge from the body mount to the slider leg, should be pretty stout. My idea was to make it as smooth as possible for the truck to drag ass across rocks. I'm probably going to cut the tow points off from underneath the bumper at some point and make some tow points that stick out the back.

Does anyone know the part number for the 4runner plate holder? I should have posted it in this thread. I need to make another one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom