Moab-Rubithon 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I know that it has to be between July and October. Due to the snow on the rubicon. They had to push rubithon to the left this year due to the heavy snow last winter.

Adam, you should plan on going. We can talk off line if u want. I will be solo so it be nice to have a co-dog.

@SFROMAN that's what I was going to mention, the Rubicon would depend on the snow pack in the Sierras.
I've never done the Rubicon Trail, I've been all over that area. Lets get together and do some strategic planning over beer.

If anyone would like to ship their trucks to a reliable location, fly out and drive, please let me know. I will have a shop and plenty of room in Boulder, CO. Happy to receive your trucks, pick you up from airport, get you drunk, etc. Happy to do work on your trucks to get them ready for the rigors of the western wheeling as well.

:cheers:

Rubicon is usually in June though, and 2018 snow is hard to predict! The event has been moved twice in the 16 years I've been going.

If it's a combined trip, Moab will be too hot to wheel in July. I think I'd hope for a "normal" Rubithon, and hit Moab on the way out. It will still be hot in early June.

It's a really good idea to trailer out. Mainly so if things go bad at Rubicon you can still get back to the barn without much worry.

If you do make this happen, drive Hwy 50 after you leave Moab. The crossing of Nevada alone, is worth the trip and it sets you up to more easily hit the Rubicon trailhead at Loon Lake.

@GLTHFJ60 you are welcome to come out for the whole week with us. We start the Saturday night before Rubithon week.

I appreciate the offer @Cruiserdrew :cheers: I'm doing my best to be able to take you up on it!!

Didn't realize that the Rubithon was late June. That's ok, have a whole year to iron out the plan.

@Cruiserdrew where in Sacramento are you from? I'm from Carmichael.

I'm going to start saving for this trip, even if I'm just a passenger. If any one has questions about the Reno/Tahoe area let me know. Who knows I might be living in Reno by next year.

@Cruiserdrew where in Sacramento are you from? I'm from Carmichael.

1 Zip code over in Sierra Oaks. Literally the edge of Carmichael is a 5 minute walk. Did you go to Rio Americano HS per chance?

Considering the full Rubicon overdose for 2018. Wheel it backwards, then forwards. FJ40 for sale after that. We'll see.

If any one has questions about the Reno/Tahoe area let me know. Who knows I might be living in Reno by next year.

upload_2017-4-28_9-4-16.png

I knew I remembered you from out there @custyota

You just won the internet Al.

1 Zip code over in Sierra Oaks. Literally the edge of Carmichael is a 5 minute walk. Did you go to Rio Americano HS per chance?

Considering the full Rubicon overdose for 2018. Wheel it backwards, then forwards. FJ40 for sale after that. We'll see.

Why are you thinking about selling the 40?

Why are you thinking about selling the 40?

Too many Land Cruisers, not enough garage.

I need the space. I may own more property between now and then in which case I'd keep the 40. It's really well sorted for Rubicon like it is but I only use it twice per year. And it this point it costs almost nothing to own. But I'd like to get my 60 in the garage and keep it out of the sun.

Had a thought just now about private car haulers. They haul as many as 4 cars/trucks on a dually chassis no problem. In reading about license classes and whatnot lately I think that the GCWR is 26k due to the license class, meaning if we get a stout enough trailer (and class A license) that I'd be able to pull three cruisers. Am I thinking about this wrong?

This is what gave me the thought. A FJ60 with a Dodge Ram 1500 and two cars has to be more than what three built wagons weigh. This is from @beno 's thread, that's his old 60.

img_2758-jpg.1456872

Why do you require to tow more than one vehicle? I'm assuming you are not looking to buy a trailer specifically for this trip or maybe you are. The trailers you are referring to are between $15k -$20k and then what ever licensing costs insurance costs and straps and rachet straps costs.
Quick example:
IMG_2112.PNG

@GLTHFJ60 that just doesn't look safe lol So if you got a flat on the trailer would you take all the cars off the trailer?

No no, I don't want that specific trailer, it was just supposed to be an example. I do want a nice long trailer that could in theory fit three rigs (most likely two) so that I can put a camper on the front of it in the future.

Those r nice. That is alot of trailer. I looked and looked and settled for a 24 enclosed trailer. This allows me to haul my toys when I need it and it allows me to use it as overflow storage when not in use. Of course my requirement is to be able to haul a truck and still be able to sleep in it.

Currently, since moving here to NC the trailer is being used as an overflow storage until I get permits to build another storage "shed". I just don't want all the crap in my new detached garage. So that is something to think about or maybe not in your case.

I guess it does come down to requirements. But I like to squeeze as much use out of my equipment as possible.

One last thing. Hauling a long trailer sucks. It is very inconvenient. My 24 is a pain in the butt to maneuver especially at gas stations with limited diesel pumps.

Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom