For Sale MN - Running '79 2F, FJ60 power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtSniffer

Professional dirt sniffer, rock licker
SILVER Star
Threads
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Selling my other 2F, going to a diesel. This would make a pretty sweet setup to drop into an earlier year 40 and add power steering.

This engine is out of a '79 that was used as a parts rig due to a high school auto shop butchering the rusty body. I got it running for the first time in about 20 years recently and was able to complete a compression test, about 145-155 psi across the board. The ones at 145 probably would have gotten to 150 but starter was kicking out and I was satisfied with the numbers. Engine has a brand new OEM non-US distributor and new Fuji non-US carb from CityRacer. Air injection ports are plugged, EGR has been removed. Engine is essentially de-smogged and dizzy is vacuum advance now with this setup. Air cleaner will be included as well as a new oil pan gasket, new motor and bellhousing mounts, '76 ignitor (What I tested engine with), '79 ignitor, and what I believe is a minitruck ignitor that looks just like the '76 ignitor, FJ60 fan, FJ60 power steering pump and bracket ('79 block is drilled and tapped for the bracket), FJ60 power steering box, a set of aftermarket headers off another 2F, carb fan if needed, and probably some other parts as well.

Transmission and t-case are out of an earlier 60, so short shaft H42 and split transfer case just like the later year 40s, but you will want the top plate and shift fork out of an earlier FJ40 4 speed to put shifter back where it should be if putting into a 40. You would also want to figure out a parking brake solution.

A note about the engine, so I pulled it into the garage to work on it to prep for selling recently and tried to prime the oil, and wasn't building pressure. I noticed the oil level was higher than it was before and tried to drain, and barely dribbled out. Turned out there was about 2" of ice at the bottom of the pan blocking the oil pump pickup. I Pulled the pan and cleaned it out, no rust anywhere so water couldn't have been there long. I think it got in through the distributor hole which was plugged with rags. Thought I had the engine covered well but apparently had a leaky tarp or something. I Don't think this an issue since it was caught and water didn't get anywhere it could do any real damage, but wanted to mention this anyways to be honest.

So I drained it, cleaned the pan, flushed the oil pump, bolted pan back up and filled with fresh oil. Primed the pump with a drill and is made ~50 PSI. Threw the new distributor on, poured oil over rockers and cranked over with starter, oil primed to the rockers as well. I then got the ignitor and carb set up and dizzy loosely timed and got it running. Ran a can of sea foam cleaner through it during a few heat cycles as it appeared to have some buildup on the pistons and then did the compression test.

Asking $2800 for the whole setup, may be willing to separate if I can find someone who wants the transmission. Not looking to ship.

Here is a short vid of it running:

Smoke is from the sea foam.
1702856790075.png

Here is the trans, have the shifter as well. Extra FJ60 block will be available as well along with head.
1702858271695.png

Cylinder #1:
1702859112429.png

Cylinder #2:
1702859128136.png

Cylinder #3:
1702859143576.png

Last edited:
Transmission and transfer case sold. $2300 OBO for everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom