Missed out on Hundreds in the Hills? Lets talk (Ideas for Southeastern 100 series event) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I missed out on HIH for the second year in a row, but would really like to meet up with some other 100 series for some trail riding if possible. No raffles (sorry) . So if you missed out too and would like to help me organize something Lets talk.

Updates:

Possible Destinations

Hot Springs ORV Park - Hot Springs ORV Park – Hot Springs, Arkansas

We have reached out to Hot Springs ORV Park. Cottonmouth Cruisers has their Southern Cruiser Crawl event there. Hot Springs ORV Park said they would love to host us for a weekend. They said the requirement for group discount is 25 vehicles, so $60 gets you access to the park for Thursday - Sunday and membership. Obviously plenty of places to stay in town for this one so you are not restricted to camping. We would also want to do this in the spring or fall not summertime.

Windrock Offroad Park - WINDROCK PARK - The South's Premier Off-Road Adventure Park

Byrds Adventure Center Byrd's Adventure Center on the Mulberry River for All Outdoor Sports and Events

I will be attending Mardi Krawl April 7-10 at Hawk Pride Mountain ORV Park in Tuscumbia, AL. Its only $80 and supports Maddies footprints who help families who have experienced miscarriages, stillbirths or the loss of an infant. If you would like to attend that would be a great event to discuss a future southeastern 100 series event.

www.mardikrawl.com

Thanks everybody for reaching out with ideas and contacts, please keep them coming and feel free to message me directly as well.

** Just wanted to let everyone know this is in no way trying to take anything away from HIH. Just taking some initiative to try to get some sort of consolation for all of us who want to meet up with some other 100 series but weren't lucky enough to get a spot. I'd rather not waste my energy complaining about not being able to attend and instead take a page from @bluecruiser and @paflytyer to get off our butts and do something **

* This event is not in anyway connected to Hundreds in the Hills or the organizers, they have created something special and we do not want to take away from it, This event will be 100 series centric however out of respect to Hundreds in the Hills and its organizers this will not be named Hundreds in the (fill the blank) so as to avoid an confusion. This is simply to gauge interest in a southeastern event with established members and groups. *

Last edited:
I would help out however I could!! would you think it would be best to try and do the same area and trails or diff place?

This was my first year trying and I failed too. I am mostly interested in riding the trails together and anything closer to the midwest would be ideal.
I am all ears

I would love to meet up with other 100 owners.

I’m in. I was only trying so I could meet other owners. Let’s see what happens.

Subscribed!

I got in the previous three years, but was wait listed this time. I’ve got an rv trailer rented for that week so I can camp at any rv park.
I go mainly for the trail runs and visiting with other 100 owners. So, I would be all for joining a HIH9 “orphan” group the same week of the event and run some trails.

I got in the previous three years, but was wait listed this time. I’ve got an rv trailer rented for that week so I can camp at any rv park.
I go mainly for the trail runs and visiting with other 100 owners. So, I would be all for joining a HIH9 “orphan” group the same week of the event and run some trails.

Hey guys. All for whatever you can put together, however, we do have permits/insurance and a strong working relationship with the Forest Service and BLM. If this gets larger than 10 trucks, I’d highly suggest getting permits to avoid issues with NFS and BLM. @paflytyer and I have put in a ton of work to build the integrity of HIH with those groups. The San Juan’s are a busy place during July/August, that’s why we do the legwork that started months ago.

Thx

Would love to be at HIH but logistically it's just not likely this year (and, you know, I didn't register). Would be very interested in an event maybe a little closer to the mid-Atlantic/Southeast. Something that won't require a week to two weeks out of commission to travel.

Would love to be at HIH but logistically it's just not likely this year (and, you know, I didn't register). Would be very interested in an event maybe a little closer to the mid-Atlantic/Southeast. Something that won't require a week to two weeks out of commission to travel.

Looking more and more likely that we might be able to organize something Arkansas

Hey guys. All for whatever you can put together, however, we do have permits/insurance and a strong working relationship with the Forest Service and BLM. If this gets larger than 10 trucks, I’d highly suggest getting permits to avoid issues with NFS and BLM. @paflytyer and I have put in a ton of work to build the integrity of HIH with those groups. The San Juan’s are a busy place during July/August, that’s why we do the legwork that started months ago.

Thx
This is very helpful advice. I am not interested in joining a side show to the actual HIH at all. I don't plan to join any group that might try to run at the same time and place as the original event as I would consider that as party crashing!

However, it may make sense to run some of the same trails as HIH as long as we do it some other time. If we do end up getting a decent sized group, perhaps @paflytyer and @bluecruiser can share pointers about permits, insurance and some good trail guides?

But I am most interested in a new venue - something closer to the east coast (to make it more convenient for Midwest too). @TheForger has suggested Arkansas in another thread. Or may be somewhere in PA?

Looking more and more likely that we might be able to organize something Arkansas

Arkansas would be great. Long weekend trip kind of thing? I only know of one park in Hot Springs (impromptu vacation event while the spas were shut down) and it was excellent. I'm sure there's plenty more to see in Arkansas, though.

This is very helpful advice. I am not interested in joining a side show to the actual HIH at all. I don't plan to join any group that might try to run at the same time and place as the original event as I would consider that as party crashing!

However, it may make sense to run some of the same trails as HIH as long as we do it some other time. If we do end up getting a decent sized group, perhaps @paflytyer and @bluecruiser can share pointers about permits, insurance and some good trail guides?

But I am most interested in a new venue - something closer to the east coast (to make it more convenient for Midwest too). @TheForger has suggested Arkansas in another thread. Or may be somewhere in PA?

I don't take this idea to be a side-show to HIH. I'm thinking the intent behind it was to put together a trip more attainable to people who aren't on that side of the country or who aren't able to make the trip for whatever reason. I also don't imagine the plan would be a duplicate of HIH. There've been years of planning, adjusting, etc for that event. You've got 'group usage' of public sites and a huge number of attendees involved. The permits and insurance are precautions that make sense for an event of that size. I just wanna wheel my truck with some people who also know what they're doing. If we can camp at a nearby campground or on the trail, even better.

Last edited:
Consider me interested in an Ozarks gathering of 100's, date and schedule dependant. I've always wanted to get down there and check things out. Perhaps late summer/early fall when the temperature is more bearable?

I am planning a week long Continental Divide trek through NM/CO in July or August. HIH7 was too big of a trail event for my liking, but I really enjoyed getting to know other 100 owners. I completely get why there is a rig limit.

Last edited:
Would love to do something in AR. I'm heading to St. Louis over Memorial Day weekend for a friend's wedding. On my way back to Austin, I'm going to detour to Bentonville to check out the amazing mountain bike trail system they have there and then head down to Hot Springs for an overnight stay before continuing on back to Austin. I have never really been around AR, but have been told that the trails there are extensive and quite impressive.

Very much so. This is from Hot Springs ORV park. We spent 3-4 hours here and took it easier as we were just one truck on a week day. But, you could easily spend a whole weekend in just this park if you've got a group of people to help out if you get stuck on a bigger obstacle. They've got stations to air up, a killer map and the staff was super helpful.

The San Juan’s are a busy place during July/August, that’s why we do the legwork that started months ago.

I live in Farmington, NM (and Texas) now and one Sunday last year I took a drive from Farmington to Cortez, to Dolores, then (almost) Telluride, up Last Dollar Road, back around through Ridgeway, Ouray, Silverton, Durango, etc. Starting about Ouray there were 100's, Jeeps, side by sides, etc all over the place. Until then I had entertained hitting some trails but it was pretty apparent that the trails were going to be very busy. It was way too crowded for my taste (not the 100's) so I headed back. Previously I'd only visited the area in September / October. I think I'll keep that schedule this year :) Don't forget Utah when you're planning. Lots to see and do there.

I went to the Cruiser crawl the Cottonland Cruisers put on at Hot Springs ORV last October. There were a lot of trails for 100s and a lot of overlanding type routes. It's a great event they have and I wouldn't want a 100 series only event to impact it.

I'd definitely be interested in a 100 series only type event in the Eastern half of the US if it was later in the year. The Smokey Mountains or somewhere like Windrock ORV would be great venues as well.

Having gone to HIH3, then 6,7,8 and now 9, I've seen the growth from 30 of us in a muddy campsite with some raffles and a killer potluck to a full blown event with ties to a small town and appreciate how much time and resources Chris and Stan put in to make that happen, so I would suggest a name that doesn't link back to the HIH event unless they're directly involved.

Here's a pic of me in AR in October for required #overlandingcredpoints.

Last edited:
I live in Farmington, NM (and Texas) now and one Sunday last year I took a drive from Farmington to Cortez, to Dolores, then (almost) Telluride, up Last Dollar Road, back around through Ridgeway, Ouray, Silverton, Durango, etc. Starting about Ouray there were 100's, Jeeps, side by sides, etc all over the place. Until then I had entertained hitting some trails but it was pretty apparent that the trails were going to be very busy. It was way too crowded for my taste (not the 100's) so I headed back. Previously I'd only visited the area in September / October. I think I'll keep that schedule this year
Shhhh! We can't let everyone know late September is the best time to visit the San Juans. No crowds, quite trails and that spectacular Rocky Mountain fall color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom