Missed out on Hundreds in the Hills? Lets talk (Ideas for Southeastern 100 series event) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hadn't even planned on trying for HIH9 this year. I'm hoping I'll be able to register for HIHX. With that being said, I'd be interested in a 100's gathering closer to the east coast. I've been wanting to do Windrock for a while, but something else might be interesting.

Chris and I are open to setting something up on the east coast. It's something that we've talked about with the southern 100s group.

I'll say this (and I'm sure someone will try and flame me for it), when you create another Hundreds in the (Anything) event, it gives the impression that it's a HIH event in a different area. If you understood how much time, energy and thought went into getting HIH to where it is right now, you'd understand why Chris and I may have some trepidation.

By all means, do your thing. Chris and I have invested a lot of our time, time away from our families, our own money and certainly our sweat equity in building this into what it has become. We purchased and registered the names 100s in the Hills, Hundreds in the Hills, 100s on the Rocks and 100s in Moab, but there's no way we could afford to purchase every HIH name for every area of the country. There are a ton of other names that can be used. Please don't use our hard work, energy, money and time away from family to create another Hundreds in (anywhere) event. If anything were to go wrong at one of these events, it could create a bad look for HIH.

We've worked so hard to get to this point. Chris and I had to put our own money into HIH4, 5 and 6, because registration fees couldn't cover all that we wanted to do. Please try to understand where we're coming from. This thing didn't happen overnight. We encourage everyone to gather with like-minded folks and get out on the trails, especially in their 100s.

Shhhh! We can't let everyone know late September is the best time to visit the San Juans. No crowds, quiet trails and that spectacular Rocky Mountain fall color.

What I meant to say is that September and October are horrible times to visit the San Juans for the reasons you listed. English is my first (and only language) so sometimes I screw thing up when I type :cautious:

I went to the Cruiser crawl the Cottonland Cruisers put on at Hot Springs ORV last October. There were a lot of trails for 100s and a lot of overlanding type routes. It's a great event they have and I wouldn't want a 100s only event to impact it.

I'd definitely be interested in a 100s only type event in the Eastern half of the US if it was later in the year. The Smokey Mountains or somewhere like Windrock ORV would be great venues as well.

View attachment 1924654
Second this. I was right in front of bamabrock on this trip. Check with #HoneyBear at CottonLand Cruisers. They put together an outstanding overland trip for the Southern Cruiser Crawl in Hot Springs last fall. Perfect speed, no rock-bashing, etc. Good day in the woods.

Not that it matters, but I can't take a week. But a three or four day weekend would be great.

Chris and I are open to setting something up on the east coast. It's something that we've talked about with the southern 100s group.

I'll say this (and I'm sure someone will try and flame me for it), when you create another Hundreds in the (Anything) event, it gives the impression that it's a HIH event in a different area. If you understood how much time, energy and thought went into getting HIH to where it is right now, you'd understand why Chris and I may have some trepidation.

By all means, do your thing. Chris and I have invested a lot of our time, time away from our families, our own money and certainly our sweat equity in building this into what it has become. We purchased and registered the names 100s in the Hills, Hundreds in the Hills, 100s on the Rocks and 100s in Moab, but there's no way we could afford to purchase every HIH name for every area of the country. There are a ton of other names that can be used. Please don't use our hard work, energy, money and time away from family to create another Hundreds in (anywhere) event. If anything were to go wrong at one of these events, it could create a bad look for HIH.

We've worked so hard to get to this point. Chris and I had to put our own money into HIH4, 5 and 6, because registration fees couldn't cover all that we wanted to do. Please try to understand where we're coming from. This thing didn't happen overnight. We encourage everyone to gather with like-minded folks and get out on the trails, especially in their 100s.

There will be no officially named hundreds in the blank event. It will be named something completely different if that's your concern. This is merely gauging interest, nobody is going to trademark hundreds in the ozarks or hundreds in the hollers what have you. This will be an entirely seperate event. We have several local groups that have put on similar events and are more than willing to help.

Hey guys I missed out on HIH for the second year in a row, but would really like to meet up with some other 100 series for some trail riding if possible. No raffles (sorry) . So if you missed out too and would like to help me organize something Lets talk.

Got some great responses so far. Some ideas so far:

Hundreds in the Ozarks by @TheForger - hopefully with the help of his local group we could organize something in Arkansas

Alternate HIH style trip in Colorado we would need to find people who are familiar with the trails to be guides to help organize

^^You can see where my confusion came from.

Please don't take this the wrong way. Call it HIH if you really want to, we're not gonna make a huge deal over it. We're just asking, that's all. We would like to have an east coast version of HIH. An official HIH on the east coast or Midwest. @ntsaint is our guy for east coast stuff and he's been to every HIH since year three and has led, organized and coordinated a ton of stuff for us, including the now famous Southern 100s caravan that leaves the southeast and makes an incredible trip out to HIH. It's truly an event all its own.

Again, please don't take this the wrong way. HIH has developed a great relationship from coast to coast with sponsors, vendors and attendees. We've worked so hard at becoming the most well-organized and family-friendly event in the country. It means a lot to us that folks plan their summer vacation around our little event and we want the experience to be truly special.

Please don't take this the wrong way. Call it HIH if you really want to, we're not gonna make a huge deal over it. We're just asking, that's all. We would like to have an east coast version of HIH. An official HIH on the east coast or Midwest. @ntsaint is our guy for east coast stuff and he's been to every HIH since year three and has led, organized and coordinated a ton of stuff for us, including the now famous Southern 100s caravan that leaves the southeast and makes an incredible trip out to HIH. It's truly an event all its own.

Again, please don't take this the wrong way. HIH has developed a great relationship from coast to coast with sponsors, vendors and attendees. We've worked so hard at becoming the most well-organized and family-friendly event in the country. It means a lot to us that folks plan their summer vacation around our little event and we want the experience to be truly special.

Not at all we don't want to take anything away from what you have created. We totally understand and I have reached out to you personally. I've updated the other thread to make sure that everyone knows this is not a "Hundreds in the Hills" event. It will be an entirely separate 100 series event and we welcome any input, support, criticisms, etc. WE are all part of the same community and should be respectful of each other.

Guys, I will be leaving this thread in the 100 section for a day or 2 more so folks can see it, and it will then be moved to the Events section.

@paflytyer Stan, appreciate the kind words. BUT, having been to all the HiH events since HiH3 and personally witnessing the huge amount of time and energy you and Chris spend on making HiH the event that it is, it's become apparent (to me anyway) that the atmosphere and feel of the event simply can't be replicated elsewhere without you guys being involved. So short of that, i'll just keep making my annual trek northwest :)

Good luck to @Nuspee and the other the guys thinking about putting an Arkansas gathering together. The Ozarks are a beautiful place. But, couple points of note:
  • @aaronrules was right, the trails up there are TIGHT. Show up with pretty paint, leave with 'custom' paint.
  • AND, even more importantly, water is always a huge concern (lots of trails become impassable depending on creek levels).
  • AND, this is the south...unless you want to lose 15 pounds in a weekend sweating your a** off, and then get carried off by mosquitoes and get covered in ticks, i'd recommend holding your event before Memorial Day.
  • AND the trails are not at all conducive to large groups (we never travel with more than 3-5 trucks)
  • AND permitting up there for large groups is supposedly a huge pain. On that note, there is a group that does a non-vehicle specific event called Rendezvous in the Ozarks every year. Guy named Randy Putt is the organizer, they have a Facebook page. If you guys are serious about doing this, i would definitely reach out to him. He'll have some knowledge about doing an event in the Ozarks that will save you a lot of time. Maybe even look into attending, get a feel for doing group runs in the Ozarks.
My .02c anyway. I do have quite a few public GPS tracks if you wind up doing the event and are looking for routes. Be glad to share those.

Not sure what the difficulty is. Just load up the San Juan Mtn's and haul them east of the Mississippi!!! I'm sure @Riverrunner can facilitate the logistics on that.

In all seriousness, if someone does put together something on the east coast, HIH is definitely on my bucket list. Just seeing the vids and pics from the San Juan's is absolutely breathtaking. I know a place like that, pictures don't do it justice. I'm looking forward to hopefully reserving my space in '10.

Would love to do something in AR. I'm heading to St. Louis over Memorial Day weekend for a friend's wedding. On my way back to Austin, I'm going to detour to Bentonville to check out the amazing mountain bike trail system they have there and then head down to Hot Springs for an overnight stay before continuing on back to Austin. I have never really been around AR, but have been told that the trails there are extensive and quite impressive.

I went to the Cruiser crawl the Cottonland Cruisers put on at Hot Springs ORV last October. There were a lot of trails for 100s and a lot of overlanding type routes. It's a great event they have and I wouldn't want a 100 series only event to impact it.

I'd definitely be interested in a 100 series only type event in the Eastern half of the US if it was later in the year. The Smokey Mountains or somewhere like Windrock ORV would be great venues as well.

Having gone to HIH3, then 6,7,8 and now 9, I've seen the growth from 30 of us in a muddy campsite with some raffles and a killer potluck to a full blown event with ties to a small town and appreciate how much time and resources Chris and Stan put in to make that happen, so I would suggest a name that doesn't link back to the HIH event unless they're directly involved.

Here's a pic of me in AR in October for required #overlandingcredpoints.
View attachment 1924654

@paflytyer Stan, appreciate the kind words. BUT, having been to all the HiH events since HiH3 and personally witnessing the huge amount of time and energy you and Chris spend on making HiH the event that it is, it's become apparent (to me anyway) that the atmosphere and feel of the event simply can't be replicated elsewhere without you guys being involved. So short of that, i'll just keep making my annual trek northwest :)

Good luck to @Nuspee and the other the guys thinking about putting an Arkansas gathering together. The Ozarks are a beautiful place. But, couple points of note:
  • @aaronrules was right, the trails up there are TIGHT. Show up with pretty paint, leave with 'custom' paint.
  • AND, even more importantly, water is always a huge concern (lots of trails become impassable depending on creek levels).
  • AND, this is the south...unless you want to lose 15 pounds in a weekend sweating your a** off, and then get carried off by mosquitoes and get covered in ticks, i'd recommend holding your event before Memorial Day.
  • AND the trails are not at all conducive to large groups (we never travel with more than 3-5 trucks)
  • AND permitting up there for large groups is supposedly a huge pain. On that note, there is a group that does a non-vehicle specific event called Rendezvous in the Ozarks every year. Guy named Randy Putt is the organizer, they have a Facebook page. If you guys are serious about doing this, i would definitely reach out to him. He'll have some knowledge about doing an event in the Ozarks that will save you a lot of time. Maybe even look into attending, get a feel for doing group runs in the Ozarks.
My .02c anyway. I do have quite a few public GPS tracks if you wind up doing the event and are looking for routes. Be glad to share those.

So I started another thread without seeing this one, but I would like to add my opinions. After reading these quotes, I may have changed my mind on keeping it a strictly 100's only event. @ntsaint is 100% right in his point to note, especially the Rendezvous in the Ozarks. I missed it, but this event has the potential to be something very special. @bamarock also makes a good point about Cruiser Crawl at the OHV in Hot Springs...I missed that as well, but this event and the location would be very nice as well! Hot Springs, AR is one of the most well know vacation areas around. As @bamabrock also said...the sweat equity that @paflytyer and @bluecruiser put into HIH is nothing to shake a stick at. I was at HIH 3...it wasn't anything close to how awesome it is now! It was fun, but HIH's now are about as perfect as they can be.

Some other notes about Arkansas and the south in general:

- I wouldn't plan anything to happen from May to about Thanksgiving. You have no idea what heat is until you have been in a place that has the same amount of humidity in the air as the temperature...and I'm talking triple digit temps! It is inescapable and miserable short of having electricity and air conditioning. This is probably my biggest point...it is just oppressive down here in the summer. Maybe it's because I grew up in Washington state, but I have lived in Arkansas since 1992, I hate every summer to this day. @ntsaint is right about the bugs...but also the critters. You take off in the grass, or tall weeds in shorts...you will more than likely come out with a tick on you. And the snakes that bite here, don't make noise before you step on them! LOL.

- If it's not planned during the summer, everything will more than likely be wet and muddy. You can be driving down a trail and come up on a mud hole...literally a mud hole. You won't know how deep it is, what the bottom is like, or if you can make it through. It's also frustrating to see giant ruts all over the place by the "YEE YEE" guys in their Jeeps and full sized trucks ripping through everything, including said mud holes. Gotta love rednecks!

-Yes it is tight...that's because everyone down here has some kind of Jeep or Side-by-side for off-roading. With the exception of forest roads and some OHVs, once you head off the beaten path, it will get narrow...I don't even pay attention to the pin striping down the side of LX anymore.

All that said, those of us who live in the south, know all of these things and still venture out in our 100s! I would love to be able to help organize something around here, but maybe we could easily jump in on the Rendezvous in the Ozarks or the Cruiser Crawl and be just as happy with most of the leg work already done for us. I bet if a few of us industrious folks asked to help either of these events, they would probably let us. If we are able to bring a decent sized group of us to these events, we could organize ourselves in getting together for camping and hanging out or whatnot.

I can't remember when the Rendezvous or Cruiser Crawl happens, but for me, Thanksgiving break is perfect part of the year around here for some kind of event. It's still warm enough out, but not oppressive. Plus the kids will be out of school, and I personally wouldn't have to attend the 4 different Thanksgiving meals we usually have to go with my wife's and my side of the families. I have had this in the back of my head for years now. Having an annual 100s Turkey Trail or something would truly be awesome! We all deep fry our turkeys in the south anyway, so having a potluck Thanksgiving feast with a bunch other 100 series people would be pretty east and super awesome!

Let keep this topic going. Let me know what you guys need me to do if anything, and I will try my best to do what I can. I would love to see everybody more than once a year too!

Also in the back of my head is the fact that Chris and Stan have said they may be planning something for the east side of the country....this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside!

Come to the Uwharries in North Carolina: lots of campig, challenging and also easy trails in National Forrest.

With so many great places being mentioned in the south east would you guys be interested in having the southeastern 100 series event rotate each year? Say Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, etc. That way everyone gets to have something local to them at some point and actively participate in even coordination with their local land cruiser groups?

I would definitely be interested in this. I’m in Northeast Arkansas and something closer to this part of the country would be a lot easier on us guys that live over here.

Keep in mind that anywhere in South or Midwest from June to August is going to be f'ng swampy hot, not so much fun for camping. For South East- choosing summer venues in some area with lower humidity and elevation: Like Asheville-Hendersonville or anywhere along the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC Apalachia, New England, etc. Consider fall and spring events in hotter areas.

Seems like it would make sense to just meet up at the rendezvous and have a 100 series “section” of camp if Randy would be ok with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom