Mini Tractors - lets see um (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With my landcruisers and other hobbies, I've always longed for a tractor to do some heavy lifting and ease in moving immobilized vehicles. I grew up with a father owning a dirt work company, so there was always a piece of equipment around to make easy work of most any project, I missed that convenience! Late last year I bought my neighbors house as an investment/rental and now have 1.25 acres total. The acquisition of the new dirt brought some land shaping and pad prepping projects, so with good reason I've been on the hunt for a piece of equipment.

My dream buy would have been a john deer 110 tlb. This is a true backhoe at about half the size of a 310. It seems all these units live in the midwest/east coast and the only unit I found for sale anywhere close was $40k. My budget for just a tractor with a front bucket and rear box scraper was set at $10k and I would have stretched to $15-18k for the right unit with a backhoe. I've been cruising craigslist and marketplace for a couple months now and have been a bit demoralized about the price of used equipment, there was absolutely nothing in that price range worth looking at in my search. The days of a $5k tractor to do a little dirt work seem to be over, much like the days of a $1k running FJ40 are long gone I guess? At least this is the case in southern CA where we don't have a TON of agriculture like areas in the east.

Yesterday I ran across an early 80's Kubota L305DT. 30hp 3 cyl diesel, 1200 original hours, 4x4, kubota front end loader, box scraper, and a 60" brush hog. The seller was an equipment repair mechanic and he was 20 minutes from me. I ran down as soon as he replied to my inquiry and ran it through functionality tests, which all checked out good. He had just replaced both clutches (primary & PTO, its a 2 stage 2 disc clutch), put new rubber on it, and did an engine service. I am actually attracted to the earlier tractors without hydrostatic drive because I fear the costs of repair to the hydrostatic trans if they ever go out. Seems too complicated, I like simple and robust. The seller wouldn't budge off his price of $12k, and I obliged as I felt the tractor fit my needs and nothing on the market has come close.

I would really like to convert the FEL to a quick change style attachment. I could save 2' or so of load center distance when using forks if I could drop the bucket. I saved some photos from earlier in this thread of the LA525 FEL attachment which has the quick change on it, so I will be seeking out some plans to build something to suit my needs. I've found the website Tractor By Net, seems like a decent resource, but not a ton of info on these older Kubotas. I suspect many owners/users of these tractors are not hanging out on internet forums.... If anyone knows of a better forum for inquiring about repairs and other stupid questions from a new tractor owner, I would love to hear about it.

My biggest question off the bat is about filling the rear tires with water. How much, can you do too much, and any additives required/suggested? We don't get freezing weather here, so that's not of concern. Should I fill the front's as well?

Here are some photos of the tractor:

View attachment 3302351

View attachment 3302352View attachment 3302353View attachment 3302354View attachment 3302355
They’re multiplying…. Couldnt afford to pass up the deal i got on this L345dt. Need to figure out why its not getting power to the front drives in 4wd, and it needs a good scrub (in progress) and a tune up. I really like my l305dt, but the 345 has more power, more hydraulic flow, slightly more wheelbase, and more mass. My only complaint with the 305 is it feels too small for the L1720 FEL that came on it. That FEL will bolt right onto the 345 chassis, as will the 4520 backhoe i picked up off of CL a few months back. Fingers crossed the 4wd issue isnt super expensive to fix 😬😬😬. I think its official i have an issue collecting old Japanese iron. 2 kubotas and 5 landcruisers on the property. Probably should start going to meetings……

52706DC3-5C4A-4F4E-AA86-13C24707A529.jpeg
55CF0A63-ED70-4760-9753-05BA04CD307E.jpeg
3859379A-11C2-4B98-BE1D-6161353F89F4.jpeg
B204C20A-F3EE-4B3B-B44D-E178DE53E149.jpeg

They’re multiplying…. Couldnt afford to pass up the deal i got on this L345dt. Need to figure out why its not getting power to the front drives in 4wd, and it needs a good scrub (in progress) and a tune up. I really like my l305dt, but the 345 has more power, more hydraulic flow, slightly more wheelbase, and more mass. My only complaint with the 305 is it feels too small for the L1720 FEL that came on it. That FEL will bolt right onto the 345 chassis, as will the 4520 backhoe i picked up off of CL a few months back. Fingers crossed the 4wd issue isnt super expensive to fix 😬😬😬. I think its official i have an issue collecting old Japanese iron. 2 kubotas and 5 landcruisers on the property. Probably should start going to meetings……

View attachment 3497628View attachment 3497629View attachment 3497630View attachment 3497631
This is getting bad....i had to delete FB and Offerup apps from my phone. I don't need this to turn this place into a tractor rescue.

Found another L345dt with FEL. It had some serious red flags, but the seller took my lowball offer. He had no idea how to fix anything. Runs (well actually), drives (barely due to some easily fixed issues), and now I have a complete spare 345 tractor and the FEL I wanted without taking it from my L305. I will mix & match parts to assemble one nice 345 tractor with FEL and meditate on the need for a spare tractor. It is likely not worth selling it, as the cost of the components is FAR greater than the cost of the whole tractor looking at replacement parts on eBay. And I have the room to keep it.....

IMG_6913.jpg
IMG_6914.jpg

This is getting bad....i had to delete FB and Offerup apps from my phone. I don't need this to turn this place into a tractor rescue.

If you aren't familiar with him and his books, check out Roger Welsch and his tractor books (his other books are also good): Roger Welsch: books, biography, latest update - https://www.amazon.com/stores/Roger-Welsch/author/B000APBLW6

Welsch.jpg

Among his wisdom are his rules for collecting tractors - or any "old iron" for that matter:
  • RULE #1. Collect only one model and make of tractor - nothing but John Deere Bs or Allis Chalmers Gs, for example. When all your tractors are the same color and shape, it's harder, if not impossible, for anyone (if you catch my drift) to figure out how many tractors you actually have.
  • RULE #2. Similarly, never line up your tractors, ever. Nothing distresses a difficult spouse more than seeing twelve old tractors lined up, looking for all the world like a burning pile of hundred dollar bills. Scatter the tractors around - a couple behind the shed, one or two in the shed, another beside the garage - so that it is not possible for anyone, if you know who I mean, to see more than two or three from any one perspective. Your hobby will be less "irritating" that way, if you know what I mean.
  • RULE #3. For much the same reason, don't number your tractors #1, #2, #3. Give them names. You'd be surprised how much less trouble you will have, if you talk about "Steel Wheels" or "Sweet Allis" rather than "Allis Chalmers WC #14."
The wisdom continues... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom