Mickey Thompson MTZ p3 vs ATZ p3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to order these this morning and I can’t make up my mind. I have searched through tire threads on here and other forums the past few weeks tirelessly. My use will be 60/40 highway/off road. Nothing extreme. I want the family to be comfortable and noise to be manageable. I know the ATZ is the better choice but dang the MTZ looks 10 times better!

It’s not my DD but may take a few longer trips in it a few times a year. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks!

You said it yourself. Atz likely a better choice. Depends on your tolerance for noise/vibration.

I have the original atz. Non p3 version and love them. Aggressive enough for most situations and calm enough to run hours of highway at a time. Was bummed they quit making the atz and i couldnt find another for a spare. Not sure why but the tire shop guys were not as impressed with the p3 but they slapped them on every truck in the sale lot at the same time?

Thanks for the info. I really like my Duratracs on my Jeep but I don’t like the weak sidewalls and the noise as they wear. The Toyo RT and ATZ P3 seemed to be the most aggressive AT I could find. I’ve had the KO2’s before and they were solid but didn’t like them in rain or sloppy stuff.

I found that putting a sound deadening material all over the panels of my rig helped a good bit. My km3s are quieter than my buddy's ko2s. With the windows down mine are way louder but man it made a difference

On my white 80, i put a set of mtz p3's. They are soft, and will flat spot when not driven for a while. I've had less than 2k miles on them, and havent really put them thru anything other than squishy mud/grass in the backyard pullin trees. they are kinda loud at highway speed. mine balanced remarkably well.

Ive had great luck with yokohama geolander at's on my 450. 2nd set, very quiet, and a combined 160k out of the two sets. hardish compound, wears great, very quiet. great in soft sand, forest roads, very mild wheelin stuff.

On my gx, I put a set of cooper atp's. They are actually quite loud after about 20k or so. I need to rotate them, they are just starting to cup. I dont know if id recommend them, and i doubt id buy another set.

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I finally did make a decision and went with the ATZ P3. Maybe I will regret skipping on the MTZ but if I’m being truthful the ATZ was a better fit for my needs. It appeared to be the most aggressive tread pattern for AT’s (a I think the Cooper ST Maxx is the twin of it). I will give a review once I get some use out of them.

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I finally did make a decision and went with the ATZ P3. Maybe I will regret skipping on the MTZ but if I’m being truthful the ATZ was a better fit for my needs. It appeared to be the most aggressive tread pattern for AT’s (a I think the Cooper ST Maxx is the twin of it). I will give a review once I get some use out of them.

I am running 315/75/16 MTZ P3s on my 80 and my wife's 80. I love them. I'm about to toss the rock-hard BFG KM2s currently on my BJ74 into the bushes off to the side of the carport and replace them with 285/75/16 MTZ P3s.

Cooper makes Mickey Thompson tires.

I've had the ATZ P3's on my truck for a couple years now. Really happy with them. They do get a bit louder after they wear in but it's not bad at all. They have great traction in the sand and snow. Only put about 10k miles on them but not seeing a lot of wear. Have driven them over lots of sharp chunky rocks and no damage. Great tire in my opinion.

I hit too good of a deal to pass up on the set of 5 mtz p3's. Discount tire direct ebay sale, 100 off 400 spent, could use the coupon code 2x. So I bought each pair at 333 a pair, no tax, free shipping, and then ordered a 5th. MT had a $100 gift card if you bought 4, so I got that rebate processed. cost 100-120 to mount em up at the local Discount Tire. Guy that worked the counter kinda smiled when he asked i wanted nitrogen for 2.00 more a tire. I said why, they will be aired down and aired back up on a routine basis. He smiled because he had a k5 blazer on 35's and knew what my answer was going to be.

75DBEF82-1402-4161-85F2-1B33F6D0395C.jpeg
8E9E3E3D-6950-4588-B161-3B4F26ADF82B.jpeg
ATZ P3's installed....

305/70/16?

Yes

A good choice. They fill the wheel openings well and are not tall enough to require a re-gear to regain driveability. Also they usually don't rub at stock ride-hight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom