Michigan "Adventure" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
The mission: Meet inlaws in Michigan for a family reunion of sorts. Take the long way. Drive through new states. Camp, dispersed when available.

I left after the breakfast and started to head north. Google said to jump on the freeway. Drive to Oklahoma City. Stay on a freeway to St. Louis., up to Chicago, then to Grand Rapids, MI, before finally hitting non-freeway. Good gawd, BORING! So I changed up the route, avoiding freeway, stuck as much as I could to US/State highways, and even county roads. I'm retired. I wasn't in a huge hurry. What did I see? Lots, and lots, and lots of farm land, water, green, and corn fields. I also went through five new states (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesooooota). I will also toss up there the U.P. of Michigan. While I can't say I visited, or explored, those states, I at least drove across them. So, boxes checked.

Day 1: Drive to La Junta, CO. I was trying to find public land to camp on, but dang it the plains are all private property. Of course, I messed up. I made a reservation at the KOA in La Junta and on the way up drove through Comanche National Grasslands, managed by the USFS. Dang it. There were designated camp sites, and I could have dispersed camp there. Next time.

Day 2: Drive to South Dakota. Stay at KOA in Mitchell, SD.

Day 3: Long drive to Minnesota. Go northeast of the charming port town of Duluth (NOT!), and camp in the forest at Fourmile Lake. Mosquitos, and more mosquitos.

Day 4: Drive into the upper peninsula of Michigan. It looked short on the map, but it took a good chunk of the day to get there. Camped in the forest at Hovey Lake.

Day 5: Drive to Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground for a rendezvous with the inlaws. I'm there four nights.

Day 9: Break camp, drive back to Minnesota and camp at Sixmile Lake in the north-central part of the state. The mosquitos were very hungry, as were the horseflies. The horseflies were quickly dispatched, but the mosquitos were never ending. The camp was also surrounded by poison ivy.

Day 10: Back on the plains. Through North Dakota, to camp in Rapid City, SD at the KOA. The original plan was to stay in the forest, but the plan changed when my sister/2 offered her place to crash. The original plan was to meet for breakfast Wednesday morning, but changed to dinner Tuesday evening so I could blast out early Wednesday morning. The KOA staged me with a shower for the next day.

Day 11: To Louisville, CO, just outside Boulder to visit and stay with my sister/2.

Day 12: Home.

The route. Detail is missing cuz I'm zoomed out on the screenshot. A few pictures coming.

michigan adventure.jpg

Last edited:
Assorted camps.

KOA in Mitchell, SD.
20190616_191500-sm.jpg

Fourmile Lake, MN.
20190617_164857-sm.jpg

Hovey Lake, MI.
20190618_155711-sm.jpg

Sixmile Lake, MN.
20190623_164934-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Corn, corn, and more corn.
20190616_122659-sm.jpg

Tree tunnel on the way to Fourmile Lake, MN.
20190617_160500-sm.jpg

Yellow sweet clover that has taken over the grasslands of South Dakota and Wyoming. It's an invasive weed from Eurasia.
IMGP5538-sm.jpg

Trumpeter swans with chicks. This was a "life bird" for me.
IMGP1083-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Mackinac Island. No cars allowed. The modes of transportation are walking, bicycle, or horses.

This was the land of lilac. Some of these plants were trees with foot diameter caliper. They were monsters.
20190621_131018-sm.jpg

Inside the butterfly house. Small, but nicely done.
20190621_134840-sm.jpg

One of the butterflies.
20190621_135618-sm.jpg

The Grand Hotel. We were guessing it's called "grand" because that is what many of the rooms cost. No joke.
20190621_151314-sm.jpg

Favorite sign.
20190621_152334-sm.jpg

Misc pics.

Upper Tahquamenon Falls.
20190622_160408-sm.jpg

I think this was a hotdog place. Not sure though.
20190622_190049-sm.jpg

I was totally disappointed when I walked in. The "pasties" were pastries. Bummer.
20190622_163957-sm.jpg

Sunset. Mackinaw straights with the "Mighty Mac" bridge in the background. Some folks are scared by this bridge. They actually have staff at each end that will drive your car across if you're afraid.
20190622_221231-sm.jpg

Pretty flowers? Ya. Right. You don't want to stick your nose into those sexual organs. That, folks, is poison ivy.
IMGP1115-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Last batch.

One of the horse-drawn carriages.
20190621_165357-sm.jpg

One of the many taxis.
20190621_165342-sm.jpg

I asked about the horses and received different answers. They were all draft horses, that was clear. I did see a pair that I thought were Percheron. When I asked I received several answers, but the most common was Belgian. There was another they were calling a Bray, which I think was short for Brabant, another name for Belgian. Either way, magnificent horses … and this is coming from a fella that wants nothing to do with the filthy animals.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and trip report!

SO glad we don't have many of the mosquitos, horseflies, and deerflies around here. It's a wonder those folks get outside at all.

nice trip duder!

Generally dispersed camping doesn't include a formal campground. It's what the group did a few weekends ago in the Jemez. Drive up there, find a spot big enough, and make it home for the night. It's also what we have been doing on the Backcountry Discovery Routes. No picnic tables, potties, faucets, or trash cans. There are places where it's not allowed. The Sandia Mountains, for example, and most National Parks.

The spots in the NF where I camped were technically not dispersed, since they were designated sites. They were considered "rustic" on the signs when I pulled in. All had a fire ring, none had trash or water, and they had an unmaintained outhouse.

Last edited:
It's nice to see green stuff on occasion. But the skeeters make it less nice.

What a trip! It looks like you had a blast. Thank you for sharing pics! I’m not sure I’ll ever end up out there again, with the exception of SD, so thanks for letting me live vicariously through you hahaha.

I’m currently in the planning stages of my next road-trip in June of 2020. It’s going to be a Pacific Northwest trip with stops in CO, WY, MT, WA and OR.

I’m currently in the planning stages of my next road-trip in June of 2020. It’s going to be a Pacific Northwest trip with stops in CO, WY, MT, WA and OR.

I was originally planning a trip to Alberta and BC for next summer. But after my mosquito experience in the upper Midwest I'm now looking at exotic desert locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom